Guitar book(s) - which is your go-to favourite

What's Hot
CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
Relatively new to this forum so not sure if this topic has been discussed before.

There are countless books on guitars, guitarists and music theory. I have only ever had one such book which I bought many years ago and it is; The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer (revised edition 1992). The reason why I've kept with this book is that in my view it covers everything that a guitarist (whether they are a beginner or professional) would need.

So which is your go-to favourite and why?
'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322

Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book is the one book that I can always come back to and find something extra to work on. Being spiral bound is an added, very practical, bonus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7293
    The Guitar Book, Handbook for Electric and Acoustic Guitarists by Tom Wheeler
    ISBN 13: 9780354046831
    ISBN 10: 0354046837
    Publisher: Macdonald Futura, 1981

This was a thick paperback book with a black cover showing a close up of somebody playing a black Strat with maple fingerboard.  Every time I went out on my lunch break as a spotty git in my late teens I would go and lurk around a guitar shop or the guitar related section of the large bookshop in the city.  This book kept catching my eye, but it was quite expensive.  It was a goldmine of information for a budding young guitarist like me.  For some reason I kept gravitating back to the photo of the early 70s Gibson L6S Midnight Special in natural.  I eventually did manage to buy one a couple of decades later but I actually wasn't too enamoured by it and traded it quite quickly for an amp and a cheaper guitar, but I'm not blaming Tom Wheeler for that.  I hadn't looked at it for years until fairly recently when found it in a plastic storage tote in my loft and read through it again.  It immediately produced a very strong feeling of nonstalgia as I remembered looking at it wondering when I would have the money to buy it.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
    edited January 2022
    ^This one is KING

Oops my mistake......Ralph Denyer book is what I meant....The Guitar Handbook
    tae be or not tae be
  • Hootsmon said:
    ^This one is KING

Oops my mistake......Ralph Denyer book is what I meant....The Guitar Handbook

That was 2nd hand £3.36 delivered on eBay, or £197.19 (plus £2.79 delivery) new on Amazon.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2600
    edited January 2022
    There are a few I could nominate but the one that tends to come to mind first when I think about useful books is Maiden Voyage Guitar Voicings by Mike Di Liddo.  Covers its subject with no fat, just practical examples of what you need to know.  One of the few guitar related books I worked through (very nearly) in its entirety.  Cue up an iReal Pro file at a slow tempo and just play along.  Gradually increase the tempo.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    edited January 2022
    "Lead Guitar" by Harvey Vinson...it has all 5 blues scales, pictures of Hendrix and he recommends "playing stoned" in the appendix - what more do you need?

Edit - seriously, I'll add 'How To Write Songs on Guitar' by Rikky Rooksby, recommended by a few folks on here. It's not really a 'guitar theory' book as such, but an excellent source of inspiration.
  • I'll add the Ralph Denyer one too. My guitar teacher advised me on that also. I am more of a 'visual' learner so videos are more my thing but Ralph seems to be on the money. Got mine cheaply,second hand on Amazon.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Whistler said:

Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book is the one book that I can always come back to and find something extra to work on. Being spiral bound is an added, very practical, bonus.
    This ^^^ but it can be pretty heavy.

The Harmonic Mechanisms for Guitar by George Van Eps is excellent too and starts from triads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2287
    steven70 said:
    "Lead Guitar" by Harvey Vinson...it has all 5 blues scales, pictures of Hendrix and he recommends "playing stoned" in the appendix - what more do you need?

Edit - seriously, I'll add 'How To Write Songs on Guitar' by Rikky Rooksby, recommended by a few folks on here. It's not really a 'guitar theory' book as such, but an excellent source of inspiration.
    I taught myself from Harvey Vinson's 'Rhythm Guitar', then moved on to 'Lead Guitar'.

'Rhythm Guitar' taught me how to read rhythms, and to play all the most important chord types in any key - I fear no chord! I still consider myself a rhythm guitarist at heart . To me, rhythm guitar is the noble art.
  • Zen Guitar by the sadly departed Philip Toshio Sudo. See https://www.zenguitar.com/index.html for more.

• TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    edited January 2022
    I don't know if I've ever owned a guitar book (other than the odd one about actual guitars). I suppose my favourite go-to is Tommaso Zillio on the tube

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited February 2022
    I wish I still had the Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer - the particular edition I had, had a pic of a Hendrix set-up.
    Excellent book - I think I lent it to a pupil and never got it back.

Rhythm and Background Chords by Warren Nunes is also very useful if you can find it.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173

This is where you learn all of the jazz chords.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    Rather partial to ‘The advancing guitarist’ by Mick Goodrick - loads of material to dip into. Whilst not specifically a theory book - it does cover parts and is very much geared to guitar and it’s specific requirements 
  • I bought the Ralph Denyer book too (1988 or so) shortly after I began to learn. I still reference it (mostly to find out whether to lengthen or shorten strings when resetting intonation every couple of strong changes.

My copy had become rather battered about ten years ago, so I replaced it with a used reprint via ebay.
  • joeW said:
    Rather partial to ‘The advancing guitarist’ by Mick Goodrick - loads of material to dip into. Whilst not specifically a theory book - it does cover parts and is very much geared to guitar and it’s specific requirements 

Agreed. I think it's a prerequisite to Mark Levine's book. It gives sounds to so many of the words people hurry past to get to "the good stuff", to quote from Eric Roche "head, hands, heart" - a theory book feeds the head it does precious little for the others. all three need to progress equally or it ends up sounding pants.