All solid guitars and humidity control

What's Hot
Hey guys
I'm debating splurging on a higher end guitar than I've since had.....but I've no idea about the upkeep of a all solid wood guitar.

I understand you can get humidifiers and should keep them in a case but is that more talk in a climate like the states?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    Yes, it seems the U.S. suffers from greater ranges of temperature and humidity than us so I’d be less concerned - assuming you’re in the U.K.?
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    I think people worry too much about this issue.

I've had several all-solid acoustics over the years. I live in the West of Scotland where the average humidity is 70-85% all year round. I've never made an effort to control the humidity around the guitars and never had a problem.

Anecdotal, I know. But it's my lived experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    edited December 2021
    Dublin here current humidity is 87% I think it gets higher in the summer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 87% indoors?!!

It's been sat around 50% all week in my room (Lincolnshire, UK).
  • Well both weather app and met is saying it's gone up to 90% but it has started to rain
  • Zonular said:
    Well both weather app and met is saying it's gone up to 90% but it has started to rain
    Doesn't matter what it's like outside...it's about where the guitar lives ;)

You've almost certainly got nothing to worry about but a few quid can get you a thermometer/hygrometer which should be accurate enough to give you a feeling about what's going in in the vicinity of your guitars.

Quite rare to see anything outside 40-60%...and that range is fine...too little is worse than too much: if it starts dropping towards 40%, any acoustics go back in their cases.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    Everything you ever needed to know about humidity and its effects, written by people who know a thing or two on the matter:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Do some reading so that you know how to recognise the signs of a too dry and a too wet guitar and buy a £25 digital hygrometer for peace of mind. Then buy a nice guitar and enjoy it.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    For what it's worth, Classical players say 40 - 70% humidity is optimal. As mentioned, humidity problems not generally perceived to be a problem in the British Isles and Ireland.

What do I do? I have a combination thermometer and humidity monitor on my wall in the room where I have my guitars and take a look at it - rarely.  Try and get one which records most extreme readings in previous 24 hours. That's a useful feature.

Hope you find the instrument you're looking for - adh mor.
  • Thanks guys for the responses/advice. 
    Tbh I figured this side of the Atlantic wouldn't have as much issue.

Just wait till I manage to sell or some bits and my next move is picking brains on what to try out
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    74% currently, in my Lincs gaff..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobe said:
    74% currently, in my Lincs gaff..
    53% on my el-cheapo meter just south of Lincoln...depends on house particulars, heating, etc.
  • When I got a decent acoustic I did worry about this and bought a cheap meter to keep in the case. Readings were always within sensible limits so now I don't worry. May be a problem in very warm or air conditioned houses but wasn't a problem for me (Norfolk). 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    BigPaulie said:
    I think people worry too much about this issue.

I've had several all-solid acoustics over the years. I live in the West of Scotland where the average humidity is 70-85% all year round. I've never made an effort to control the humidity around the guitars and never had a problem.

Anecdotal, I know. But it's my lived experience.
    It’s unlikely to be that high in your house. I live near Stirling and my guitar room hygrometer reads 43-53% pretty consistently most of the year. I try to keep the central heating minimal in that room. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited January 2022
    our "upstairs" dehumidifier usually reads around 60% when first turned on in the mornings  - thats a 200yr + cottage with two humans sleeping,  two dogs,  no chimneys or ventilation other than windows (1 upstairs fanlight  always open on "ajar" so to speak)  -  usually gets down to 55 by mid-day

Ive only had all  solid wood acoustics for about 15 years,  one is always left out of the case,  never had issues (touch wood !!  )
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    I feel the most important part of that post is either the 200 year old cottage or the two dog's. (What do you have,)
    edited January 2022
    Zonular said:
    I feel the most important part of that post is either the 200 year old cottage or the two dog's. (What do you have,)
    3 bed end of terrace..............................

boxing hounds,  Wilf and Winnie
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    Zonular said:
    Think it’s probably the age of the house; last year we moved from a slightly older house with solid stone walls to a modern, well 25 year old so relatively modern :) house, and I would say the humidity dropped by almost 5%. As we moved about 10 miles within Oxfordshire I’d say the construction is the single biggest variable we changed. 

Since then we also doubled the number of dogs on the property with no discernible increase in humidity :)
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    Zonular said:
    Bertie got it as a new build….
    * crosses mr C off the xmas card list  *