SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

F/S Gibson J160e 1967 with Original case. £1500

What's Hot
PhilCampbellPhilCampbell Frets: 0
edited September 2013 in Guitars £
I am selling a 1967 J160e I bought from Vintage and Rare Classics in Earls Court in 1996 for £1300.  The Mimesis modern pickup has been removed (although is available) and the electrics recently have been redone. The case is original. There are the obvious dings seen on the photos of a guitar of this vintage which has been gigged.  Selling at a bargain price for any Lennon enthusiasts at £1500 Winchester/Portsmouth.  Oh and I will polish it!!!

imageimage

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Damn, I want that! I've always liked J160Es... and 1967 is my year.

I just can't afford it. Unless you want a Rickenbacker 660 12-string? Which I love but never use...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Tempted what colour is the 12 string and how old?
    Jetglo, 2003, and with the silver case. Not perfect condition but very close.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• What makes it not perfect?  Any photos?
    edited July 2016
    It has some fine scratches and polishing swirls that don't really show up in photos, but here it is anyway...

[Pic hosting account expired]

It has the upper pickguard and the bridge cover, I just prefer them off.

• Looks a bit of a bargain when compared to the one GuitarGuitar have just got in.
  • Badlydrawnbanjo.  You are right it is a bargain, but I want to get a new bass, so something has to go. I am selling at a sensible price so that it does not hang around too long. But I am seriously tempted to do a trade with the Ricky 12 string ICBM
    After tonight's shambolic band practice (where I play bass) I'm tempted to swap you my 4001 instead :).

Just kidding :D. The shambles wasn't me...

• I'm looking to move on my 4001sV63 also so I can get a nice Jazz or a Jazz precision hybrid.  Getting a bit bored with the ricky sound and want a thin neck!

• Thats nice! Any more pics? is the pickguard a replacement do you know? How is the action and intonation? what strings are you using with it? Does it have a case?

Any interest in a '92 Reissue Ric 1997 in Fireglo if i cant get all the cash together?

• Hi Simon. Pick guards on J160e are normally oval so this maybe an alteration.  The action is good and low and the intonation fine.  It has been set up by a friend of mine who builds guitars and wrote the book 'How to build your own guitar' and he also restrung it, but not sure with what but they are light I think.  I am predominently a bassist but bought the guitar for a Beatle band I was in.  It has hardly been played in the last 12 years and not gigged in that time.  A friend was so taken with the slim neck he had an acoustic built, bassed on it. It comes with the original case which has some road wear consistant with it's age.

Unfortunately you don't state what model Ric you have;  6,  12  or Bass?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited September 2013
    PhilCampbell said: Unfortunately you don't state what model Ric you have;  6,  12  or Bass?
    He did - a 1997 - import version of a 330. It should be something like this:

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/2022893/p1_urnm5pytr_so.jpg
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Ok.  I really am looking for the cash.  Only tempted by the 12 stribg above.

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited September 2013
    Sorry - the 1997 model is a 6 string, its a Rickenbacker Rose Morris Reissue based on the models ordered by the then Ric UK Distributor back in 1964. These carried the distinctive traditional F hole rather than the cat eye slash associated with Rics. Pete Townshend favoured these along with the three pick up model and famously abused them during his guitar smashing period. Mines a '92 reissue, apparantly Ric have stated they wont make anymore. Toaster pups, Accent vibrola, play wear, marks and dinks but all consistant with 12 odd years of playing. Looks like this: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Simon, that's fab - have a "wow" :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • Lixarto said:
    PhilCampbell said: Unfortunately you don't state what model Ric you have;  6,  12  or Bass?
    He did - a 1997 - import version of a 330. It should be something like this:

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/2022893/p1_urnm5pytr_so.jpg
    Nice! Is that yours Lixarto?

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited September 2013
    The reason i asked about strings was to see if it was strung as an acoustic or electric, alot opt for the electric flatwounds to get the Beatles tone, whereas this gives a great electric tone it gives a poor acoustic sound., though it was designed to be used electric afterall!

SimpleSimon said: Nice! Is that yours Lixarto?
    I wish! No, just a random web picture. Besides, I prefer yours, as it has the vibrato :)
  • Lixarto said:
    SimpleSimon said: Nice! Is that yours Lixarto?
    I wish! No, just a random web picture. Besides, I prefer yours, as it has the vibrato :)

Thats funny cos I've always thought about switching the tailpiece as i dont ever use the vibrola! The grass is always greener...!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    Pick guards on J160e are normally oval so this maybe an alteration.
    No, the shape is correct - like the J45, they changed later in the 60s - but the plate may not be original. The four screws holding it down certainly aren't, but old Gibson pickguards have a nasty habit of curling and pulling off, so this may be why they've been added. (And might tend to indicate it is the original, although the colour isn't quite what I would expect.)

The knobs may also not be original - they do look like Gibson 'witch hat' knobs, but I've never seen those on a J160E, they always had the gold bonnet knobs.

Neither of those things bother me but they (the screws especially) might to some people. Oddly enough the only thing I'd be worried about is if the Mimesis pickup left marks around the soundhole!

Personally, I love the J160E amplified sound - I know full well it's not like an acoustic or even quite like an electric, but it has a lovely woody 'thud' that's somewhere between a flat-top and an electric archtop. The pickup is essentially a P90 with extended polepieces through the top, if it matters!

And the thin neck... hmmm. I recently bought and then had to sell a lovely '77 Les Paul Signature because I couldn't get on with the skinny neck - too shallow front-to-back was the problem. I'm not a fan of Gibson late-60s beanpole necks, but I thought the J160E escaped. Any chance you could measure it? Width and depth at the first fret would probably be the most useful.