Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bloody EU - this is quite worrying..

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
OK - I don't need a Vacuum cleaner right now but if I did I would be seething!

The worry is that our love for powerful, full featured Tube amps is ripe in so many ways for the EU to interfere likewise....

Right Ba$tards... 

"Oi  - Nigel...!"
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15544
    this is all part of an EU masterplan to depopulate us by increasing the incidence of dust allergy.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    edited August 2014
    Surely if you reduce the power of the cleaner, you make it less effective which means that you spend longer cleaning and hence probably waste more energy…

I must admit I expect valves to be banned at some point, if they don't go out of use anyway - at least in new equipment. I wouldn't be surprised if one or both happen within the next twenty years.

So keep hold of your old valve amps and valves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    It's not a bad idea.  >1600w is just stupid amounts of power
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    I have the Miele Solution 2200w that is a wonderful vacuum cleaner - it's one they plan to ban (bastards)

Makes short work of hoovering - done in half the time

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    But after 2017 they want to reduce it to 900W, which is getting silly. My Dyson is 1400W and doesn't suck quite as well as I'd like.

Maybe it's actually a cunning plan to boost sales before then...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'm sure in no time there'll be after market parts for your vacuum cleaner ...

Also reckon manufacturers will artificially limit it in software, so you'll be able to get it "de-restricted" with a cable from eBay.

People will be dropping in older, bigger motors from yesteryear, execpt they'll be re-wound and have bigger magnets.

I've seen the future!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24831
    Bloody Eurocrats - they're Dyson with death....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Won't be able to fart soon.image  
  • On the plus side, it might lead to more research in squeezing more effectiveness out of less watts - some Dyson kit is pretty great.  We use a battery powered one and it's plenty enough to pick up dog and cat fur from the carpet.  

And the hand driers :O

This has to be the coolest thread ever btw ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ThePrettyDamned;328233" said:
    On the plus side, it might lead to more research in squeezing more effectiveness out of less watts - some Dyson kit is pretty great.  We use a battery powered one and it's plenty enough to pick up dog and cat fur from the carpet
    There's certainly been a vacuum in research in this area.

This may cause a pick up in activity.

For too long this issue has been brushed under the carpet....

• ThePrettyDamned;328233" said:
    On the plus side, it might lead to more research in squeezing more effectiveness out of less watts - some Dyson kit is pretty great.  We use a battery powered one and it's plenty enough to pick up dog and cat fur from the carpet
    There's certainly been a vacuum in research in this area.

This may cause a pick up in activity.

For too long this issue has been brushed under the carpet....

Regardless of the above, it's fair to say the whole situation sucks.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've just sold my vacuum cleaner

Well, it was just collecting dust!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't believe it took that long :))
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Won't be long before those vacuum cleaners become vintage and have mojo, and become collectable....
    Fortheloveofguitar;328366" said:
    I've just sold my vacuum cleaner

While we're quoting Tim Vine; Velcro - what a rip-off.
  • richardhomer;328442" said:
    [quote="Fortheloveofguitar;328366"]I've just sold my vacuum cleaner

While we're quoting Tim Vine; Velcro - what a rip-off.
    [/quote]

Pen behind the ear, pen behind the ear, pen behind the ear!

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited August 2014
    ICBM said:
    But after 2017 they want to reduce it to 900W, which is getting silly. My Dyson is 1400W and doesn't suck quite as well as I'd like.
    So does that mean it sucks more?

Sorry.

We got a new dyson recently. I think i read an article earlier that said all the dysons were under 1600W. But I agree, these sort of blanket, broad brush bans with (apparently) little thought behind them can actually do more harm than good. As you said, there's not much point in making people buy lower wattage electrical items which ostensibly use less power if you just end up using them longer. It's like "green" versions of products which are useless and then you end up buying the "less green" version anyway once it becomes apparent the supposedly environmentally friendly version is no use. That actually hurts the environment more because you have all the waste/pollution which went into making and distributing the supposedly-green version which you just dumped :))

Yeah that's gonna be stupid loud before you get power tube distortion. Definitely not suitable for bedroom vacuuming. Probably only for pro cleaners who vacuum Wembley Stadium.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited August 2014
    Even massive guitar amps are low power compared to most consumer appliances. My computer power supply is supposedly 600W, the microwave is 800W. Suspect amps are a small enough issue that it wont come up (then again it's small enough it could get dragged in under some other broad umbrella), similarly valves, they're not used in enough new devices for people to worry about.
    The vacuum cleaner thing is annoying, and I can't imagine it's a massive proportion of power use (unless lots of people are like my mum), but I suppose they're trying to push manufacturers to higher efficiency. I've got a cheap one which is 2300W (but adjustable power, usually about 3/4), the previous even cheaper one was 1500W and was awful, but I also saw the BC article which says all dysons are under the 1600W limit, so efficiency must be a big factor.
    Dave_Mc said:
     It's like "green" versions of products which are useless and then you end up buying the "less green" version anyway once it becomes apparent the supposedly environmentally friendly version is no use. That actually hurts the environment more because you have all the waste/pollution which went into making and distributing the supposedly-green version which you just dumped :))
    Fortunately I don't think they plan to go around forcing you to throw out your old vacuum.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22177
    The future is here in the form of digitally modelled vacuum cleaners in the form of the Fractal Vaxe Fx. Everything from 1950's rubber-banded motorised powerhouses to those little sweepers found in Betterware catalogues. 

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    ICBM said:

Maybe it's actually a cunning plan to boost sales before then...
    If your Dyson has washable filters then give them a good wash, doing this on ours always seems to make a massive difference...  

No idea if I'm going OT now....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom