SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Pono OP-10D 12 Fret Really Lovely Parlor Guitar

What's Hot
SammySammy Frets: 129
edited January 2022 in Acoustics £
This is a really lovely parlor guitar from Hawaii and very rare to find in the UK.

Sometime ago, I sold my prestine expensive Martin guitar to a Fretboarder, as I hardly played it, as was always concerned about knocking it, so it mostly stayed in its case. I was just going to replace it with another quality cheaper s/h decent guitar, but one that I could just leave out on a stand, which I did a lovely Larrivee OM. I also decided to try and a find a reasonable decent parlor guitar as had always wanted one. This took far more searching and after viewing and trying quite a few, I was offered a Pono parlor, a make I had never heard of before. All I can say it, after buying it and having it set up etc it plays like a dream,looks lovely and sounds great and was way better than any of the other, well known makes I had tried, plus it has such a big sound for a small bodied guitar, its a real quality guitar. Even the specially fitted case is excellent quality.

The only reason for selling this now, like my previous Martin, it is not getting used and just being kept in its case. Though this is for an entirely different reason, in that I mostly am an electric player and when I do play acoustic, I just pick the Larrivee up off the stand, so in fact I really only need one acoustic and the Pono needs to go to someone who will use it, as it's hardly been used! This was actually built in 2014, as I managed to get in contact with Pono direct and they very kindly gave me all the information about it, as I have listed below. It almost looks new and the cleaning cloth provided to the original owner is unused, so this really needs someone to play this to bring the best out of the woods etc. 

Details fro Pono -
Aloha , your OP-10D is one of our original parlor size guitars.  
All woods are solid, no laminates. 
Back and sides is Acacia wood.  There are many different sub species of acacia throughout the world, but they are all similar, and produce a warm deep tone. 
This one is Acacia Preta.  But again, most have the same weight, density, grain patterns and tone. 

The top is cedar, from British Columbia Canada.

Binding is ebony, purpling wood inlay, and rosette abalone. 

Body width for this parlor is 13 1/2” or 381mm.  
Scale length is 24.75 or 629mm.  
Nut width 1.75 or 45mm
Fingerboard and bridge is ebony (Macassar Ebony, which has black and brown coloring, and also one of the highest quality ebony)
Nut and saddle are bone.  
Tuners are Grover vintage open gear. 
And made in 2014.

Let me know if I forgot something, hope you enjoy it.
John

Sorry no shipping, plus with any acoustic, you would need to try. I have sold various guitars and amps etc over the years on Fretboard and everyone has been 100% happy with their purchase!  I am looking for £650 which considering the build quality, playability and sound against at least twice even three times other similar parlor models, it's a great buy. Plus I can use some of the monies towards, some new pickups I want for one of my Telecasters  
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pjfpjf Frets: 331
    99% sure this one used to be mine :)

I bought it new in late 2014. As far as I know, John Kitakis, the owner, still builds guitars but the Pono brand sadly is no longer active – any guitars are now built in Hawaii on a one-off basis under his much better-known Ko’olau ukulele brand. 

The Pono guitars were built in Java in Indonesia. There was huge interest in them on the Acoustic Guitar Forum when they were launched and sold direct on an ad hoc (and to be honest, fairly disorganised) basis. No website back then, although subsequently there was one for a time – you just had to email John to see what he had in stock or upcoming. The initial reviews were great and so was the price considering this is an all-solid acoustic! I had this one sent to me when I was living in Paris. It was my only guitar for a year or two but was always very well looked after, also it has a very hard-wearing poly finish.

It came perfectly set up and I can confirm what Sammy says, this one has a lovely warm tone (short scale length) and plays beautifully. The back/sides are beautiful and the only acacia I’ve seen on a guitar before/since. The cedar top is now a lovely deep orange colour (and definitely adds to the warmness of the sound). 

GLWTS Sammy, tempted myself!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SammySammy Frets: 129
    Can confirm, after emailing pjf this was his guitar which he bought new from them and had it sent over direct to France, just on reviews etc, without ever trying a Pono! His comments above also mirror mine on the quality and how nice it is. Also, I can confirm that the retailer now only deals with Ukeles and Guitars can now only be bought direct from Pono on a one off basis, as it appears they are now all made to order and they will only sell direct to Customers!

Here is a video of similar guitar, the second one in the video with cedar top. Video is 2012

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom