Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blackbird Guitar Cabs - latest projects

What's Hot

Comments

• We went for a healthy 10.5 inches of cabinet depth to make up for the smaller dimensions of the cab, so the internal volume is actually pretty decent for such a small cab. Aesthetically it also gives the cab a nice bit of 'chonk' as @Power-Beef said when she got hold of the cab - definitely a word I'll be using in future promotional material :) .
    Below are some pics of the back - as you can see the cab can be used in both open and closed back configuration. The closed back provides that nice tight response whilst also preventing @Power-Beef 's cats from snoozing in there!
    I gave the panels a healthy lip to make sure the cab is properly closed when the middle panel is on. I also wanted the cab to look 'right' when the middle panel is removed.

HEY SAM!!!

OMG am I late to the party or what LOL... Yes, this is my cab and I absolutely love it. It is just so beautiful, and light, and everything I want in a cab of this type. It works magnificently and I have no worries about it. Once upon a time my motorcycle instructor said to my face that the bike is a machine, it's therefore not infallible. Well tell you what, this cab is pretty darn close to being "infallible"! Thanks again, Sam, for building this beauiltiful cab for me. I am acheing for a 2x 1x12 Marshall stack-esque semi-mini stack, but my living space is TIGHT!! When I do pull the trigger for one of those I know who I am calling!!

One brain-stormy, thinking out loud idea, how would those car bonnet films that are meant as protection against stone chips work as "tolex"?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Power-Beef (still my favourite Fretboard moniker by the way), that's really kind, I'm glad the cab is working out for you. I should really do some kind of 1 year follow up with customers and get feedback about the cabs.
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• One brain-stormy, thinking out loud idea, how would those car bonnet films that are meant as protection against stone chips work as "tolex"?

Do you mean this stuff? Hmm, it's crazy, but it might just work :)
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Power-BeefPower-Beef Frets: 214

One brain-stormy, thinking out loud idea, how would those car bonnet films that are meant as protection against stone chips work as "tolex"?

Do you mean this stuff? Hmm, it's crazy, but it might just work :)

Similar, but I had in mind the clear stuff :)
  • Ah OK - oiling is one of my favourite parts of the process so I will turn my nose up at all other clear finish options!
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• It's been a while since I posted here so thought I'd share my latest build (and for a Fretboard member no less).
    @rainer2859 got in touch to ask if I could make a solid wood version of his original WEM V Front Dominator. A workshop move meant that it took me bloomin' ages but Rainer has been an absolute gent throughout the process. Hopefully the cab has been worth the wait............

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 285
    What a fabulous creation, lovely design and beautiful execution. 
  • rainer2859rainer2859 Frets: 304
    Stunning work Sam. It looks even better in the flesh and the chassis fits like a glove.

Even got Mrs R’s seal of approval, which means the amp is now allowed back in the house!
  • These are really nice, do you have a website or rough price list?
  • Found it! Sorry
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 58
    Love the dominator, what's in it and how does it sound?
  • @Rkphilpot - the website is in dire need of an update but hopefully it all makes some kind of sense! Get in touch if you have any questions.
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• MikeP said:
    Love the dominator, what's in it and how does it sound?

The cab is to house the customer's original WEM Dominator - I only had the original cabinet for reference, not the amplifier itself, so I didn't get to hear it in action. I'd be interested myself to know if there's much difference in sound between the original and the new cab. The dimensions are nearly identical so I'm guessing it sounds very very close.
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• Here's some shots of the new cab alongside the original.....

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sam absolutely nailed this. There is no discernible difference between this and the original cab.

Regarding sound and having owned a couple of early Dominators, this is by far the best sounding, and is definitely a keeper.

Tone wise, it is full on Marshall Bluesbreaker, it’s not hard to see where the talk that Marshall used this circuit for their own amp came from.

The amp tech I use has worked on many original Bluesbreakers and said this is better than any he’s had through his shop in the past. Not bad considering it’s a tenth of the price!

I’ll try and send a pic of the amp now that the chassis is back in.

Don’t hesitate to give Sam a bell if you have anything “custom” you’d like building…highly recommended.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sam absolutely nailed this. There is no discernible difference between this and the original cab.

Regarding sound and having owned a couple of early Dominators, this is by far the best sounding, and is definitely a keeper.

Tone wise, it is full on Marshall Bluesbreaker, it’s not hard to see where the talk that Marshall used this circuit for their own amp came from.

The amp tech I use has worked on many original Bluesbreakers and said this is better than any he’s had through his shop in the past. Not bad considering it’s a tenth of the price!

I’ll try and send a pic of the amp now that the chassis is back in.

Don’t hesitate to give Sam a bell if you have anything “custom” you’d like building…highly recommended.
    Looks stunning Rainer, and I hope that you are doing well. :)

Sam - you must be proud, that is excellent.
  • Thanks @Wazmeister - yes I'm really pleased with how this project worked out, and especially chuffed that Rainer is happy with the cab. My only regret is that I didn't get to audition the amp itself at any point!
    Here's a few more detailed shots of the cab......

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here's a little gallery of 'in progress' shots of a jumbo 1x12 I'm building. Actually it's already built but I can't access the finished photos right now. Anyway I thought people might like to see how the cabs come together.
    Ash from Odiham, Hampshire, and it's going to be (has been!) set off with some Copper Beech detailing...........

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here are some finished shots of the jumbo 1x12 in UK grown ash. The frame/piping is copper beech from a tree felled in Waterlowe Park in London, not too far from where I grew up in fact...

This one's up for sale on the website for anyone interested.
    Sorry about the big photos!
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And here's the sister cab in Olive Ash with Ash detailing, another jumbo 1x12 with golden ratios all over the shop...

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom