Writing and recording an album remotely

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited January 2022 in Making Music
Morning chaps.

A couple of folk have asked about the album, how? why? when? where? etc etc

Far be it for me to miss an opportunity for shameless self promotion ill give it a crack. (hopefully the thread wont get buried in parody section )

After hearing someone say "you have got a dirty snake mouth" on a radio show a good few years back I thought great name for a band. so sat on it for 2 decades So we started during the first lockdown on this very forum. I proposed the idea of recording a few covers to a few people as something to do as gigs, rehearsals and moving about was not on the cards. We did covers of Rocks, Wheels and I put a spell on you (the last one for the cover challenge.And then the idea sort of died...

Move forward to this year and @imc1980 asked me of I would play a solo on a track he was releasing "move the needle" (sound of a gun - Its on all the streaming sites).. so I did... 

That led me to ask him the question "are you any good at writing lyrics?" (turns out he's very good at it) so I sent him a demo track I had recorded a few years back (actually sent him two versions) using lyrics a then pal had sent me. Originally I recorded the two tracks as an example of how different music can change the tone of lyrics. Both demos had a melody, albeit with me farting out the vocal. We decided that one was much better than the other and Iain set about writing lyrics to fit the melody Id already ruined with my own voice. The Devils smile was born... We stuck that out almost straight away. While we were waiting on that to release I sent him another track Id recorded which had a guide melody on it (was all the white keys )... again words were written and recorded and Shape of the world was released...

Up to this point Id been adding a few bits of keys here and there, but... I cant play piano in the slightest, I have no musical ability for it and its painfully slow for me to do anything with a keyboard other than Drone a root note...

So a question, along the lines of "You any good at pianoism?" was asked of @bezzer and it turns out he can, not only pianoisms but full orchestraisms!!!! Result...

So that became the process moving forward.

I'd write a track, send it to the bezzer symphony orchestra, he'd send it back and I'd pop it over to Iain and let him have free rein with the melody and subject...most of the demos were sent round using WhatsApp!!!!

once everyone had tracked their various instruments the tracks were sent back to me and I mixed the final songs...an entire album made using wetransfer

Ill go into a bit of detail about each song and then pass over to @bezzer and @imc1980 to fill in their bits...

If you need to listen to it first you can order a copy here:

or stream it on whatever platform you stream on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited February 2022
    I'll go into a bit of detail on each track as best I can.

Production wise... 
    guitars were recorded with both DI and mic'd amps. I do that so i have a choice, if i want to I can reamp the Di or run it through a sim. most of the guitars are S Gear tho' but there are bits where the DI was reamp'd and used to bolster the sound.
    bass was DI every time.
    Drums are courtesy of either Jessie or Anders and the actual drum sounds are logic inbuilt producer kits.

Once the music is tracked and the "form" finalised (normally intro, verse. chorus, 2 verses, solo, chorus out ) I start on a bit of production, drop a guitar out her and there, maybe add another guitar over that bit etc.
    The idea has been:
    Big start.
    Drop back a bit for the verse 
    Build to the chorus
    Drop back a bit again but add something slightly different
    Big for the chorus and solo.
    Big finish complete with full dance troupe and jazz hands.

01 Breathe.

This one started with me dicking about with the "backwards guitar"  preset in logic...
    I must have spent a good hour amusing myself with it... Ended up with a 4 second riff
    But... it set the tone for the rest of the song... 
    Click track was enabled and I started messing about with a few palm muted chords and double note riffs.

The main intro riff was recorded and also earmarked as a chorus... 
    was just a case of joining the intro to the chorus.. nothing special just a few chords that worked. 
    The verse was also used behind the solo. Bass (as with all the tracks) just underpins the guitars really, Im not a bass player and tbh my five string bass confuses the shit out of me.
    The final chorus was filled out by me banging a slide up and down on the strings like a hammer above the pickups whilst fretting the chords... Have to get it in time but its a good effect...

Another thing I did with this, when I got the vocal back, was reamp a DI'd guitar and Ians vocal through my EH Iron Lung... 
    you can hear the vocoder effect on the first verse.

02 The Devil Smiles - The one that started it all... first single release (but subsequently pulled, remixed for the album)

I was messing around with drop D one of @danielsguitars bursts one day about 3 years ago now!!!! and the riff just sort of appeared. 
    I also used the riff and chord sequence for a video demo for my Jnr that i built... 
    The drop D also allowed me to use a bit of slide in a half open tuning.
    Extra guitars were added to this, just single note stuff to create a different texture really. not a lot of high gain stuff, more jangly telecaster than screaming HB's.
    The Main solo!.... well thats a schoolboy error right there... that was one take and meant to be a "placeholder" to show where the solo would go... Genuinely forgot to re record it too late now i guess.
    Added some droning organ as a bed and also added a "choir" at the end...
    As said previously, I sang some different lyrics over the top to get the melody... so all that was needed was new lyrics.

03 Shape of the World - Second single released.

This one started out as an idea for ROTM I think i may have eve entered it...
    It was kicking around as an idea for a while,I kept listening to it in the car, adding bits, taking a few bits out.
    It all came together when i sat and banged a melody out on the keyboard (all the white keys)
    The guitars in this are mostly single note lines built up to be chords (if that makes sense?).
    Added a bit of strings droning and again a vst choir at the end.

Iain used the piano melody as a guide. I did send him a bounce with the piano as well and that the one he recorded to... I added the piano back in matching his vocal in the chorus.
    This track gets massive at the end... theres a lot going on... eleventy billion vocal tracks for a start

04 The Flame - Third single release

Go back and listen to my cover entry for "all day and all Night"
    Aha!!! there it is...
    Used the main riff from that and changed the chorus.
    Acoustic at the start was a combination of mic'd guitar, piezo and a strat single coil taped in the sound hole
    The slide at the start is that acoustic and the three signals mixed... the single coil was reamped through my wah...

This one went to @bezzer for keys...

05 Letting Go - 5th single released

This was me messing around with a delay pedal and two chords...
    Tried to mix the form up on this one by bringing the run into the chorus a bar earlier than you'd expect
    Guitars are mostly octaves in the chorus

The acoustic in the verse is bezzer as is the strings etc.

06 last a lifetime.

The idea for this was simple.
    Write a track that used the same 4 chords almost all the way through and let the vocal change the verse/chorus...
    chords were decided on and it was recorded. acoustic all the way through and sustained guitars for the chorus.

off to bezzer it went.
    edited January 2022
    07 Set you free

I like this track...

"can we come up with something faster for the next one Stu?" was sent to me on WhatsApp...
    click set to 160bpm and off we go.
    it's a combination of 3 riff ideas I managed to link them all together somehow.
    originally the opening riff ran all the way through the verse with the harmony part coming on for the second half of each verse.
    I decided to cut the main riff out of most of the track and just you the harmony guitar...
    The slide intro... I asked myself could i do some slide in standard tuning whilst using a wah? difficult but yes... 3 attempts were made and video'd (gotsta keep the insta kids happy)
    Bezzer busted out the 8 string for this one I believe...

08 Book of lies

This started out as a tune I wrote to demo one of @danielsguitars here it is 

https://youtu.be/g_B6_KVQj04

Slowed it down a bit, added some chords for the chorus that fit with the original opening three chords... added acoustic... job jobbed.

09 come in from the cold.

This was me messing about with a slide.
    the entire track came from that slide riff... It dictated the chords for the intro and the verse. the chorus is just a variation on that.
    again, acoustic guitar bolsters the sound through most of the song.

The "radio" vocal was an idea I had listening to the demo Iain sent on WhatsApp

10 Embrace the moments later.

inadvertently left a guitar in drop D
    Went to play something else and the main riff came out
    The first draft just had the main riff for the intro, verse and chorus. 
    The verse also had the octaves riff over the top, eventually the main riff was dropped from the verse.

@snaggs is on this one

11 Mirror bleeds - 4th single released

This just came from an arpeggio sequence I use to practise with to stretch my fingers. admittedly i played an easier version for this.
    Same chords for verse and chorus.
    Nice to see its already influenced others

12 The final show

wrote and recorded the entire song whilst on hold to HMRC...
    It's a bit dark (was angered for some reason).
    Basically two chords for the intro and verse and a slightly different couple of chords for the chorus.
    Guitar was going through a trem pedal hence the wobble
    Sent it to bezzer with the note "add 8 bars of something at the beginning"

13 Reach out.

Was playing around with a nice chord sequence on the acoustic watching tele.
    It translated nicely to a proper tele. the first chord in the run up to the chorus was a mistake, played Eb instead of E... slid up to the E and it worked.
    there was a lot of editing on this, very squeaky guitar as I moved between chords, i did try to re record the guitars but they didn't sound as nice... so editing the squeaks out with volume automation was the only solution.
    Lead breaks are all major... solo is minor to rock it up a bit.

14 Find a way

another ROTM entry that never made it (sorry Pete)
    Intro riff is repeated for the verse.. chorus was really just a way to get out of and back into the riff.
    has an 80's feel to it this one... 

sent to @bezzer who added a face melting solo... One of only a few songs he played guitar on

15 Hope.

3 chords on the acoustic for the verse... B7 to C for the chorus...
    Added a shaker and some strings job done.

Sent to bezzer who added BANJO!!!!!!!!

was going to be the intro to another song but stands up as 1.5 mins of niceness

16 Reach out - bonus acoustic track 

Day before Christmas eve...

"Stu can we do an acoustic version of Reach out, as a bonus for those that buy the album"

Cowbell click track on. Acoustic out. guitar done.

sent to Bezzer for strings on Christmas eve... with Iain for vocals on boxing day... mixed and mastered on the 27th... would have been quicker but Christmas got in the way... 

Ill hand you over to @bezzer... he can tell you how he's got a hidden orchestra in his basement... I think he looks after them well tho'.

Cheers Luvs

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 587
    edited January 2022
    Whats this "process" thing you talk of?

This will initially sound dismissive but ... bear with me as it's not ... the scoring for this (which was most of what I added) was not particularly complex.  Essentially the role was to fill out the sound, much as a synth or organ would, so I wasn't exactly required to lay down the full John Williams.  But there were a few little tricks I used to make things slightly more involved.  

In the main first thing I did was to block out the chords as a rough, stuck cello on left hand violins on right and played the chords @poopot ;;told me he'd recorded.  Then changed to the right ones. (On a couple of tracks I used some polytonality but don't tell him 'cos he doesn't like jazz notes).

The goal really was to write parts that maybe don't leap out but, if you remove them, you wonder where everything went.  Rather than distracting.  I hope I managed that.

Once I had the roughs I looked which notes I felt were "important", the ones I wanted to emphasise and not always the root as generally I wanted more of a "line" for these ... and generally the root and fith would be held with a combo of the basses, celli and violas.  It switched a bit depending on the timbre wanted but the idea is the same.  This emphasis line I would put on the top in the main with the first violins section playing that with the second violins doubling an octave below or playing a simple harmony line.  Then finally if the line felt too static I'd put some emphasis into it, either leading notes or splitting the notes or changing up the method used to play each instrument.

On the BIG songs the brass came in for the choruses and really followed the same process but I was really just hammering the 3rd and 5ths.  The root was covered plenty already and a wide spread on the brass just added power to the whole shebang.

There's some points where this is obvious so I'll highlight a couple.

Breathe - pretty much as described above but I found the Chinese opera samples I had fit so well I had to use them ... regardless of how hard that would then make it for @IMC1980 to then write a melody.

Letting Go - The main line through the verses uses leading notes and bow direction changes to break the lines and uses staccato and maracto to drive the emphasis.

Book of Lies - This was the big "John Barry" one for me, I was trying to evoke that bond theme style on the intro. In the chorus this was really driven home with the brass section. The piano was a much simpler idea really, just the base chords with minor embelishment.

Come in From The Cold - The was "Bond track two" which is why I love them being together on the album.  Same idea as Book of Lies in the main but this time the brass was so in your face it was ridiculou ... but intentional as it both drive and brightens the chorus. Or I hope it does.

Embrace the Moments Later - Almost forgot was I was supposed to be doing orchestral on this one as it's mostly really bright nasty synth lines and a broken piano (Pin Piano from Ghostwriter) ... all really quite unsettling sounds that aren't quite in tune.  The lines are echoing the power chords used in the choruses but used through the verses as thematic devices and I build them through out ... just piano in the first, piano and legato strings in the second and bloody everything from then on.

The Final Show - went a bit more "all out on this one" with percussion and all sorts biggest addition here was also from Ghostwriter and is a distorted choir.  It's never in tune ... but it's also never not in tune.  To be honest I thought it would be rejected ... but it added for me an uneasiness.

Reach Out (and the accompanying acoustic version) - this was probably my favourite of the songs from my point of view, the piano part is devestatingly simple but I was really pleased with it.  The string line again is very, very simple but added a lot of air and width, I don't think I stretched beyond root, third and fifth on this one.  Well until the acoustic version where I completely re-recorded everything to add more movement and interest, mirroring the vocal melodies.  Mirroring of themes is something I do a lot ... taking big melodies and putting somewhere else in the song to glue it together.  If you REALLY listen you can hear I've done it across tracks too.  Bet Stu didn't notice he he.

Other bits yeah ... did some 8 string at one point and played some banjo and resonator on Hope.

That's not very helpful ... but hopefully gives you some idea or what I was doing.  For the samples I used EastWest Hollywood Strings Platinum ... and they are worth every penny.  The piano was the EastWest Bosendorfer ... I can't use anything else as I'm a Tori Amos fanatic.  The keyboard was the M-Audio Ocygen61.  Cheap as chips but excellent value for money.

Oh ... and there's a rhodes (I think) on Find A Way.  A fat ol' organ at any rate ... and that fat ol' organ was playing a rhodes sample from EastWest again.

• Awesome - I'll give this all a proper read later, but great to get some detail on how these things are done.

Loving your work, chaps!
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 146
    Not as much to add from me; after Stu and Neil had been hard at work down the musical salt mines, laying out sweeping vistas and soaring guitar riffs, I would come along and try to figure out how to put a vocal melody to their creations.

For all of the songs on the record, I would listen to the instrumentals on headphones and work out the melody, singing garbled half words as I pieced it together. 

Once I was happy with the melody I would do a first draft of some lyrics, then play the instrumental on a Bluetooth speaker and sing along to it. I would record the singing and music on my phone's voice recorder and then listen back to it, change things if needed and record on my phone again. Most things only took a bit of tweaking, but there were a few songs that went through several revisions before I was happy.

When the voice recorder demo was done I would track the vocals properly using an SE Electronics 4400a into an Audient ID22. After recording each set of vocals I would send a demo over Whatsapp, clean the tracks up (remove the breaths, bounce to a single clip etc.) bounce them as dry WAVs and send them to Stu over WeTransfer for mixing.

That's it really! There were different approaches to harmonies for some of the songs, I mainly did the main vocal, a double of that and then in the verses spot harmonies to accentuate words or phrases. The choruses and sometimes pre-choruses would have the main and double, sometimes a triple, a lower octave following the main melody and whatever harmony part was used.

Talking about how I did vocals is not as interesting as a blow by account of how music was created, so I will not run through each song and talk about how I did what. I tried to push myself melodically with every song and being able to focus on just vocals meant that I didn't get caught up with the chords that are being used and my own preconceptions about how I should be singing over them. 

Happy to answer any specific questions anyone has about the vocals though!
  • Been listening in the car to this for a bit....

Good work guys. Sounds really well produced too. Some fantastic sounds on there. You should all be proud
    Been listening in the car to this for a bit....

Good work guys. Sounds really well produced too. Some fantastic sounds on there. You should all be proud
    Thanks dude… I think we are quite chuffed with it!… had a fair amount of radio play, 3rd most requested track on an Australian station… 

Another single out on the 28th that’s already getting airplay as well!
  • Any tour dates yet?
    Any tour dates yet?
    We will prolly gig it at some point!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom