Thoughts on Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III, George Benson HRD, Blues Deluxe Reissue?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    edited May 2015
    @dindude -The GB is warmer - sounding and doesn't sound hard or have that middle hump that I've always found with HRDs. It really is a great clean sound that loves both single coils and humbuckies and as I said, it's so percussive, working well on both chords and single notes.

I had it turned up very loud in Andertons and the only thing to look out for is it being a little bass-heavy, so EQ the sound with your ears not your eyes i.e. don't put eveyrthing at 12 o'clock etc but instead, start with everything on zero and dial it in until you get a noticeable change and leave it. This is Matt Schofield's tip for EQ-ing an amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3319
    Incidentally, has anyone got one of these and if so, thoughts on it please?
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 168
    Yes, I'm using one and it is incredible; last year I did the Sage Gateshead Hall One, with the volume on 2 and it was clean and chimey. It filled the stage, and they mic'd it of for the house PA. Some amps would have disappeared sonically in that space as soon as the drums kicked in. It isn't a muddy amp at all and the gain stages are brilliant, too! They won't make it forever, either.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    edited June 2016
    I had the GB and used it on the first 3 weeks of a tour with The Three Degrees. Great sounding amp but I bought a Rambler at the same time and it couldn't quite compete. It did cost a quarter of the amount though! @panama_jack666 now has it.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11465
    If the Benson version has a different speaker then that might be a lot of the difference.

I had a mark 1 HRD for several years and only sold it because 40W was way more than I need.  It did sound a lot better with a speaker replacemment.  I put a Weber 12F150 in it and it was a massive improvement.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1753

I changed over to a HRD earlier this year and adore it.

It's really good fun experimenting with various drive pedals to find that perfect sound - the clean channel is however amazing.

at £300 for a minty fresh condition HRD Mk2 it was a no brainer.

The benson version does sound very tasty though

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    I've just picked up an old HRD and, trying it out this afternoon, it's bloody great!

The clean channel is beautiful, warm, bright, sparkles with plently of body and depth. the drive is a little ratty for my tastes but I'm going to run it clean with my Lazy J20. Very happy....and the cheapest amp i've ever bought I think!! 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1753

I got to wind my HRD up a bit at a gig on Saturday - sounded flippin brilliant.

Got another outside gig on Friday so hoping I can run it just as loud again.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5178
    edited June 2016
    I've got a chance of picking up a HRD 3 special edition... Does swapping V1 for a 12at7 and a volume pot in the effects loop really make them 1/2 way usable at home levels?
    Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere..

Danish Pete from Andertons make them sound sublime but I realise this is at volume and he is pretty good :)
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 849
    The volume taper on the 3 is way better anyway. I'd say it's usable at home without doing those things. As long as you don't want TV volume.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • I had an HRDIII fitted with a Cannabis Rex speaker and it sounded great. They are fantastic amps. I have a '65 DRRI, which is my perfect amp, but I am considering a 2nd hand HRDIII again as a back-up amp/something I can take something to rehearsals, or for when I start gigging, as I'm (stupidly) protective of my Deluxe Reverb.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I have a Mk 1. There is a volume jump but I still find it usable at home. There's always the volume on the guitar.
    Great amps. I even like the drive channel. It is what it is and I've grown fond of it.