Facebook marketplace scam

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
edited January 2022 in Off Topic
I was trying to sell a Levi’s red tab denim jacket on Facebook Marketplace (I’ve deleted the ad now, the charity shop will get the jacket!) and had a slightly strange ‘purchase’ offer. Someone with what sounded like a made-up ladies name and nothing on their Facebook profile said they’d send the cash in an envelope with UPS and have UPS pick up the jacket at the same time. Despite me twice saying that I only take payment by PPG or online bank transfer they wouldn’t go away so in the end I just blocked them. Is this some scam I’m not aware of and has anyone else come across this? Hardly seems worth it for such a low value item. 
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    That's a scam. The next thing is that UPS will need to be paid £20 to make the collection. Click this link to make the payment and I'll add an extra £25 to the cash in the envelope to cover the cost/a little extra for your trouble. Common with large item purchase scams (e.g. furniture). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Yup - very common. I detailed it earlier here in another thread. Many preambles, but the scam bit is always the same:
    • you (seller) have to send UPS/FedEx/DPD/etc money
    • for insurance/handling/etc
    • 'buyer' promises to repay this expense
    • a lookalike email address (UPSreceivables@gmail.com) sends you an invoice
    • you pay 'UPS' via a third-party payment site (never PayPal)
    • that site has zero comeback
    • 'buyer' moves on to the next dope
  • Every time I put up a Facebook Marketplace ad, I get a scam email usually pretty soon after putting it up. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
    Thanks guys. I’ve sold a lot of stuff on Marketplace before but never come across this scam.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I had exactly the same scam tried with my Bandmaster.
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1514
    Me too.
    I tell'em to firk orff.