Solid wood guitar storage

What's Hot

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @Zonular ; it's all been said. Aim for 45-55% RH. I target 50% and I'll aim for that all year. To help me, I'll use a D'Addario Humidipak which I'll keep in the case. I'll use an hygrometer so I can monitor room RH. Then, in summer when humidity climbs, I'll use a dehumidifier to knock it back down to 50%. Some might say "overkill" but I'd rather be safe than sorry :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2775
    edited January 2022
    Yes, calibrated all 3, all 3 were surprisingly accurate :) 

PS the other useful advantage of buying a dehumidifier is for when you drop your birthday present book in the bath, like it did yesterday !
    I'm off, got to walk Mrs Mellish home from our daughter's. Hope the book is OK :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11939
    crunchman said:
    munckee said:
    My all solid acoustic is on a wall hanger in the lounge and I don’t seem to get any issues, apart from the occasional feedback from the sound hole. 

I have a Furch out on a stand full time with no issues.

Unless you are up in the wilds of Scotland and/or have your central heating on "cook me" settings, it shouldn't be a major issue.
    depends on your house
    some houses get very dry in the winter
    bertie said:
    in the UK, unless you live in a pond,  or have central heating on full blast with no ventilation,  there's nothing to worry about 
    central heating plus ventilation can get you to 30% humidity in my house
    I use a humidifier, with a hydrostat
    When it's cold, the heating is on, aiming for 22C-23C
    when it's frosty or snowy, humidity can get really low indoors: the temperature differential between indoors and outdoors is what drives the low RH indoors, especially if you ventilate your house. I can explain the physics

Aside from damage, the other things that happen if you let your guitars vary in humidity and get dry are:
    • large variation in neck relief and action from day to day = playability
    • Sharp Fret ends sticking out - permanently = playability
    • guitars going out of tune all the time = playability
    • as well as acoustics risking damage
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    I don't know if the UK has the same energy rating system, but I've a few things to get sorted before I'm worried about the heat inside the house, on the upside I have a nice selection of jumpers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    edited January 2022
    I use a humidifier, with a hydrostat
    When it's cold, the heating is on, aiming for 22C-23C
    when it's frosty or snowy, humidity can get really low indoors: the temperature differential between indoors and outdoors is what drives the low RH indoors, especially if you ventilate your house. I can explain the physics

Aside from damage, the other things that happen if you let your guitars vary in humidity and get dry are:
    • large variation in neck relief and action from day to day = playability
    • Sharp Fret ends sticking out - permanently = playability
    • guitars going out of tune all the time = playability
    • as well as acoustics risking damage

If you cook yourself like that, then it's a bigger issue.  Our thermostat is normally set around 20C.

It still depends on where you are in the country.  Down South it doesn't get that cold outside, so the temperature difference with outside isn't that big.  Like you said, it's the temperature difference that is the big issue.

That's why it's a much bigger issue in places where it gets colder.  The temperature difference with outside is much bigger.  I bought a Furch guitar in Sweden once, when nobody was importing them to the UK.  They gave me a case humidifier as standard.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    sev112 said:
    In humid times, and in modern houses which are (too) well sealed - open your windows, or don’t close them fully
    most "good" modern windows do have vents in the top of the frame to allow for this.....or at least have a "notched catch" do you can leave them securely "ajar"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    sev112 said:
    In humid times, and in modern houses which are (too) well sealed - open your windows, or don’t close them fully
    most "good" modern windows do have vents in the top of the frame to allow for this.....or at least have a "notched catch" do you can leave them securely "ajar"
    Yes, found the upper ones don’t have much of an effect but the notched catch does an excellent job
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    edited January 2022
    You're overthinking this.

The answers to the last time you asked a similar question are still valid.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/219770/all-solid-guitars-and-humidity-control/p1
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I keep mine in the fridge   -  for all my cool choons

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    It's a guitar. It should've  been  built to be played.,toured with, and lived with. It's not a delicate artefact and is is certainly not to be considered precious.. 
  • ZonularZonular Frets: 62
    Grand lads, sorry for over posting on the same topic 
    The faith insert of keeping the guitar flat in the case threw me.
    Tbh never had a acoustic as nice as this before, just need to get over the babying stage
    @Zonular ; no worries, hope we've been able to help :) 
    PS my book is still in the process of drying out with the airing cupboard and dehumidifier - nearly there :)
    edited January 2022
    @sev112 ; have you regularly opened the book rather than leaving it closed while drying?  
    edited January 2022
    In an interview with a world famous cellist, she nonchalantly stated that if her crazily ex[pensive 18th century cello felt tight and dry after getting home from touring, she would stick it out on the balcony of her Italian apartment for a day or two in damp weather to rehumidify it. She said the process worked perfectly. I like her way off thinking.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    artiebear said:
    In an interview with a world famous cellist, she nonchalantly stated that if her crazily ex[pensive 18th century cello felt tight and dry after getting home from touring, she would stick it out on the balcony of her Italian apartment for a day or two in damp weather to rehumidify it. She said the process worked perfectly. I like her way off thinking.
    Cellos and flat top guitars are made so differently you may as well cite an anecdote about someone leaving their bike out
    on the balcony!
    Lewy said:
    artiebear said:
    Cellos and flat top guitars are made so differently you may as well cite an anecdote about someone leaving their bike out
    on the balcony!
    Not really, the effects of humidity present in many of the same ways.