SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD Santa Cruz Standard Dreadnought 1995 SOLD

What's Hot
johnbiffajohnbiffa Frets: 29
edited February 2022 in Acoustics £
Hand built in 1995 Serial Number 1515, excellent condition D series Santa Cruz custom order with a German Spruce top,Indian Rosewood back and sides and in great condition with original case. £2700

Too many acoustics so time to thin the herd,I have owned for last 8 years and it has never left the house and played only occasionally and kept in case.

Any trial welcome and I am near York

https://imgur.com/a/PoUVn0Q
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielJuniorDanielJunior Frets: 8
    edited January 2022
    I can say this is a nice sounding guitar just by looking at it. Tightly grained German spruce top and solid East Indian rosewood back and sides. I have no idea if the price is reasonable or not but I suggest people who are after a top quality dreadnought to check this one out.
  • Has this had a neck reset at any point do you know? Seems like loads of play left in the saddle, which is great for a 25+ year old guitar. Looks lovely! :)
  • No work needed or carried out certainly not in last 8 years
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1109
    That

Is

Lovely!
  • Messages replied
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    Looks lovely, how wide is the nut?
  • 1.3/4 ins or around 44/45mm
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4262
    edited January 2022
    GRBaldwin said:
    Has this had a neck reset at any point do you know? Seems like loads of play left in the saddle, which is great for a 25+ year old guitar. Looks lovely!
    Have owned quite a few SCGC guitars, going back to the 90’s, and played loads more, and they are quite often screaming out for a reset as they get towards 20 yrs old as very lightly built guitars. Not always the case of course. Looking at the saddle on this, I would guess it has been reset at some point, and slightly overset at that, as I don’t think SCGC would have sent a guitar out with a saddle that high. Assuming that the playing action on this is within normal parameters. Just doesn’t look to me like it came out the factory like that. Unless of course someone has just replaced the saddle to raise up the action.
  • johnbiffajohnbiffa Frets: 29
    edited January 2022
    I can only say that in my 8 years it has never had a reset and plays beautifully and certainly doesn't feel like a high action to me but we all have different perspectives, it is certainly no higher than any of my Gibson's but unless you play it you can only make that judgement, I would have to add that I wouldn’t expect anyone to buy this guitar without seeing it and more importantly playing it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DamianMDamianM Frets: 13
    I had a mid 90's SCGC 12 fret D that I regret selling that never had a stroke of work on it for 25 years and was ideal action wise imo, so it is possible. I'd love to try this but York is too far.
  • Shame, but you are so right !
  • York is not that far guys !!!
  • If I didn't already have a dreadnought! Stella looking guitar and a good price for a Santa Cruz! GLWS
  • CloudNine said:
    GRBaldwin said:
    Has this had a neck reset at any point do you know? Seems like loads of play left in the saddle, which is great for a 25+ year old guitar. Looks lovely!
    Have owned quite a few SCGC guitars, going back to the 90’s, and played loads more, and they are quite often screaming out for a reset as they get towards 20 yrs old as very lightly built guitars. Not always the case of course. Looking at the saddle on this, I would guess it has been reset at some point, and slightly overset at that, as I don’t think SCGC would have sent a guitar out with a saddle that high. Assuming that the playing action on this is within normal parameters. Just doesn’t look to me like it came out the factory like that. Unless of course someone has just replaced the saddle to raise up the action.
    It looks unlikely that the bridge has been shaved and more like the action raised with a taller saddle for more acoustic sound without amplification!

Quite a common trick for those performing without an amp and playing cowboy chords mainly. 
  • Thank you for your comment. this is a great sounding guitar and happy to allow any trial, even a sensible offer will be considered 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Can I ask what the neck profile is... You know, low profile etc? :) 
  • The Santa Cruz website describes it as "low barrel"  and 1 11/16 at the nut. I would say it has a comfortable profile with a great fretboard if that helps playing it is the only way to tell and your very welcome !
  • Now on "The Bay" but will consider sensible offers from Fretboard chums !!!
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    I had the pleasure of meeting John and demoing the guitar earlier this week. It's an absolutely lovely guitar and a joy to play. Superb condition and the action and neck relief are all spot on. If it hadn't been for the 1 11/16th nut width I've had bought it, but I prefer something wider as I'm mainly a fingerpicker. But if you were considering the guitar, I can vouch that it's a beauty. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Tom, a pleasure to meet you