Anyone into old Hi-Fi and vintage Boomboxes? NAD, Dual, Sharp, Pioneer, JVC, A&R Cambridge, etc.

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
edited January 2022 in Other Instruments
We’re still unpacking from the house move and came across this at the weekend...

https://i.imgur.com/4ysRpHZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cNrq6be.jpg

There's also a Pioneer CD multichanger somewhere.

It’s all been in storage for years and as such, is completely untested.

I have no use for it, so any advice (Council tip, eBay job lot, ‘Old Tat Hi-Fi’ Facebook group, etc) would be appreciated!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You might fire a message across to Techmoan of YouTube.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Lots of memories for me there mate - always loved the NAD amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    That Amstrad amp is cool.
    (Complete rubbish audio-wise, though!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Nice. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I'd have the A60 like a shot. Had 2 of them years ago and still have a soft spot for them. I'll gladly pay postage and packing.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I had the nad amp, wish I still had it 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    You might fire a message across to Techmoan of YouTube.
    ha, yes I thought that. I was watching an old episode about cassettes this week.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Wonderful - I still use all my old kit like this (apart from the old jvc amp - not too dissimilar to yours but with vu meters - which has got a bit dysfunctional. I wonder if there's anyone who services vintage hifi kit?)

Likewise happy to pay p&p for turntables, as mine went missing in a house move.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• Well someone is trying to flog a broken version of that Amstrad amp for £149:

Might be worth getting in on that racket! (Although, pinch of salt, the last actually sold listing I saw was for £40)

• My serious answer, particularly as eBay isn't charging listing fees at the moment (until Feb 1st), would be to see what they last fetched on eBay and list them there where it looks sensible.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    My dad uses my old NAD 3020 in his study.
  • sweavesweave Frets: 65
    The A60 is the cream of the crop, followed by the NAD amp, the Dual turntable and possibly the MS speakers. Should be able to sell these. Less convinced re the rest.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    There's a good British HiFi facebook group if you want to know about the British stuff.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 252
    edited January 2022
    I have an interest in old hi-fi and some of that looks quite exciting, although room is my biggest issue!

It looks like I have a similar pair of Mordaunt Short speakers - the terminals on mine need attention. The Dual record decks may get some attention on ebay. They are "proper" decks and look nice too. The Cambridge amp is a nice one as is the NAD. The one marked A60 is an Arcam (or what became Arcam) - I have an Arcam amp at the moment.

It would be worth looking at www.vintage-radio.net - there's people there that may be interested and will also know how to repair it if they take a punt and find problems. You can sign up quite easily.
  • I have one broken blue board NAD304 and a bought used green board of the same model with slightly dodgy sound.

Couldn't quite part with them knowing that they sounded fine if there's someone to fix them. The sound flaking out thing is a known fault, I am just too much of a wuss to go inside them.
  • I don't want to take the thread off topic, but @Power-Beef if you want to get some advice on them try www.vintage-radio.net you can also post requesting repair services as well as seek advice. It would be a good idea to find out what the problem might be to avoid causing damage.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2400
    Mordaunt Short MS20, my first 'proper' speaker set!
    very nice speakers, mine ended up as near field monitors in my "techno" studio in the 90s.
    fond memories :) 
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 250
    I’ve found some real bargains in recent years I guess due to the generational lack of interest in hifi separates but I suspect this is changing. A mint condition Yamaha cassette deck for £35. A Ltd run Denon amp for £20 and I really like Ruark Sabre speakers - I have a couple of sets both I paid around £80 for. The Ruark have Danish tweeters - I forget the brand but are prone to blowing but it’s always down to something avoidable like unplugging an audio cable without turning the volume down.