Upside down Les Paul

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7799
    Paul_C said:

I'm intrigued as to what the neck is made of, the big contrast in colour and lack of grain suggests it's either been painted (why?) or it's maybe maple (or painted maple ;) ) ?

Headstock repair, if you look at the back of the headstock you can just make out the cracked area that now looks like a faint black line
    httpsimagesreverbcomimageuploads--JVH3JXWC--f_autot_largev1643391688cwjajtjvgwa2ft5t9k6zjpg

Not the headstock, the main part of the neck which the headstock has been glued to.

There's no sign of grain on the lighter bit, when you would expect to see some, so it's either been covered over or it's made of something other than mahogany.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 225
    That body hurts my eyes - it's possibly (probably?) a very nice instrument, but I couldn't live with it. It would have to have a re-fin in a solid colour, or be returned if I was the buyer.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18832
    Looks like maple or similar has been grafted with a scarf joint but there still looks like a previous break repair attempt at the base of the headstock (or an unusual grain pattern?).
    Also the back of the headstock has pretty bad orange peel surface spray marks.
    Reckon it should play fine though  ;)

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited February 2022
    What with the scarf joint and upside down markers, could this not be a fake?
    If not ,the neck break must of been considerable for a scarf joint repair. Such a repair would involve work to the fretboard and binding.
    If the original Fretboard was beyond repair, why on earth would you fit one with the markers upside down.
    Also, to my eyes ,the headstock look mahogany, and the neck below the scarf joint looks like maple.Very odd.
    Someone's took a chance on it. Listed as sold.
  • MikeymikeMikeymike Frets: 6
    Well ….all your comments are very interesting , this guitar was a one off I picked up in the states from bill bop , it was sanctioned for a certain guitarist who had a number and initials embedded in the pocket port flame finish , hard to see unless pointed out , , he never picked up the guitar , I did , and gigged through the U.K. with it , then sold it on after a gig , and then to my surprise it turned up for sale again ,I spotted through the internet , it’s a complete one off , no repairs whatsoever, it’s been beautifuly set up and is an absolute dream , it’s now on show in underwood studios , and of course ….a collector’s piece …keep on rocking guys
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    I've actually played that one and it's more bizarre than you think. Fretted notes get higher the closer you play to the headstock.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2170
    Who is paying £1595 for that?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10539
    tFB Trader
    I really like that ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3501
    I cant see anything wrong with it?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18832
    I think it's a shame that the original pictures of the back & neck that caused most discussion have disappeared.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14475
    Could the reversed trapezoid inlays be the equivalent of the hole that Francis Rossi cut through his Telecaster? A unique identifying feature, intended to deter theft?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Mikeymike said:
    Well ….all your comments are very interesting , this guitar was a one off I picked up in the states from bill bop , it was sanctioned for a certain guitarist who had a number and initials embedded in the pocket port flame finish , hard to see unless pointed out , , he never picked up the guitar , I did , and gigged through the U.K. with it , then sold it on after a gig , and then to my surprise it turned up for sale again ,I spotted through the internet , it’s a complete one off , no repairs whatsoever, it’s been beautifuly set up and is an absolute dream , it’s now on show in underwood studios , and of course ….a collector’s piece …keep on rocking guys
    Interesting. But no repairs? Have you not looked at the pics in the advert?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    Great. I’ve got a bit on tomorrow so I reckon it will be Tuesday before I get to post it, but I’ll
    let you know when it is on the way

Matt