Cover Challenge #17 "D" Voting Thread

What's Hot
This is the vote for the 17th fretboard cover challenge. 

"Danger Zobe: - Kenny Loggins
or
" Desperado" - Eagles
or
any other song beginning with “D”

The entries can be heard in the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-17-d?si=494f6c86ba7c410b809f9ba2ccd1b559&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

however some of the entrants each have a bonus 5pts for picking the original song choice by the previous winner

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Sunday 6th Feb…

The winner will have 48hours to send me their song choice for the next challenge… or I’ll pick for you if you don’t… any song you like as long as it begins with the letter “E”.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited January 2022
    5 Pts @IMC1980 - there’s a hair’s width between this and 2nd place. Strong vocal performance - the track has great driving energy. I like the guitar tones. 
    3 pts @flying_pie 80s pop rock squeezed through the German industrial metal filter...I love it and thought it was expertly executed  
    1 pt @snap I thought this was excellent - you created a great atmosphere (dark and melancholic) with the production. 

I genuinely enjoyed all other entries as well and hope we have a similar turn out for the next round.
  • 5pts @Springywheel - I love it, Trevor Horn would love it too..
    3pts @IMC1980 - Epic version
    1pts @stratman3142 - nicely done

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Brilliant efforts all round. The standard was really high. Top production all round

5 points @Bezzer for an outstanding job. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Zakk Wylde was a mate of yours and he did this as a favour. Vocals were totally on point

3 points @Snap great job. Even Joe Rogan would like hearing Neil Young without the whiny vocals

1 point @stratman3142 good work. You might have got more if you hadn't cheated ;)
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 254
    5pts @Snap - excellent all round, especially the production
    3pts @IMC1980 - even more massive than the original
    1pts @stratman3142 beautifully done, and definitely not cheating

• Habanero said:

...1pts @stratman3142 beautifully done, and definitely not cheating

Well, as I said on the entry thread, I recorded it a phrase at a time, so it was (kind of) cheating :)

But at least I posted a video of me playing the whole thing in one pass, which was a somewhat more rough and ready. 

It's not a competition.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 254
    Habanero said:

...1pts @stratman3142 beautifully done, and definitely not cheating

Well, as I said on the entry thread, I recorded it a phrase at a time, so it was (kind of) cheating :)

But at least I posted a video of me playing the whole thing in one pass, which was a somewhat more rough and ready. 

I bet Eagles did multiple takes, and I saw a concert of theirs on Sky Arts recently and they had about 5 guitar players most of the time.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Ok... votes are:

5pts @flying_pie - welcome back... brilliant
    3pts @westford - Just a nice cover
    1pt @stratman3142 - like that a lot

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    5 pts @UncleSlippyfist - love it
    3 pts - @flying_pie - rammstein vibes aplenty
    1pt @IMC1980 ;

great work all round, all the entries
    cheers
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 587
    5 points @Bezzer for an outstanding job. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out Zakk Wylde was a mate of yours and he did this as a favour. Vocals were totally on point

Ha ha, thanks! I thought I'd gone too characature :)

OK my votes ... and it's tough this month as there are so many entries and they are all genuinely really good!  I hope these numbers keep up.  The votes from the incompetant jury are:

5 points @flying_pie - My alley, up it, that was.  And welcome back!
    3 points @IMC1980 - Just fucking massive, love it.  And love the use of the film clips as well.
    1 point @stratman3142 - Just a really nice arrangement

So many close calls though! Excellent work all round
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2202
    edited February 2022
    Lots of interesting music in a wide range of styles.

5 points : @SnapDynamic arrangement. Rich production sound with a live roomy feel. Moody, dark atmosphere. The most enjoyable of the entries to listen to as a piece of music.

3 points : @Springywheel : Neat, clever production and arrangement ideas. But I still think I can hear your Black Sabbath influence in there somewhere   

1 point @IMC1980 : Full on power rocker with great vocals

It's not a competition.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 146
    Great collection of entries! My votes go to:

5 points - @Snap - I've probably committed some music crime by never hearing this before, I do like some of Neil Young's stuff, but his voice is hard to listen to. Yours is much better, like the arrangement.

3 points @flying_pie - Dark, balls out rock, love it. And welcome back!

1 point @Springywheel - clever use of a vocoder, nice guitar solo and synths as well.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5407
    Arrrrrrrrrgh. Too. Much. Choice.

5 points: @IMC1980 ; - for playing it (more or less) straight and absolutely nailing it anyway
    3 points: @flying_pie ; - just cracked me up in all the best ways, genius
    1 point: @westford - because I love the song and it's a really nice version

Honourable mentions to everyone. Especially Uncle Slippyfist for yet again making something wholesome profoundly unclean, and Bezzer, who really should be up there, but, you know The Pretenders man ...

• westfordwestford Frets: 582
    Tough to choose, but my favourites were

@Snap - 5 points
    @IMC1980 - 3 points
    @Springywheel - 1 point

Good stuff all round!

Your cheque's in the post mate! 

seriously.. I would like to know how you approached the vocals..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited February 2022
    5pts @Springywheel - I love it, Trevor Horn would love it too..

seriously.. I would like to know how you approached the vocals..
    it’s the Vocodex plugin included with FL Studio. The words are spoken monotone through a condenser, with the melody ‘played’ via midi. I can’t play keys so I input the midi afterwards. The voice is used to modulate a synthesiser (operator) via a bunch of filters. That’s the general gist of it anyway. I added a very slight vibrato, plus saturation and reverb. I don’t know what DAW you’re using, but chances are it includes a vocoder effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Lots of interesting music in a wide range of styles.

5 points : @Snap : Dynamic arrangement. Rich production sound with a live roomy feel. Moody, dark atmosphere. The most enjoyable of the entries to listen to as a piece of music.

3 points : @Springywheel : Neat, clever production and arrangement ideas. But I still think I can hear your Black Sabbath influence in there somewhere   

1 point @IMC1980 : Full on power rocker with great vocals

Thanks for that. I was after a sort of vintage vibe, hence the airy drum sound, lots of OH on them. Put a lot of time into getting the right bass sound too as I wanted that late 60s, early 70s sound (well that's what I had in my head!)

Synth wise - I used a mellotron app on an ipad. It's the official one, and contains original samples so it has a wonderful vibe to it, better than any other software emulation I've found. I think the brass and sax samples were from the mellotron too.

Middle section was aiming for the vibe that Annie Lennox had in her cover that was used in American Beauty. 

Vocals are quite dry, just recorded them twice, which IMO sounds a lot better than simple double tracking. 

Mastered it with Izotope Elements- I like this, not had it that long. The AI in it is a really good basis/start point for mastering. Clever.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Voting closed