First time in a band

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
edited January 2022 in Live
Despite having played live a decent number of times I have never been part of a band. Always been charity events where we’ve quickly put a band together, learnt three or four songs, and done our slot. Or open mics where, again, learn three or four simple songs, perform them, and sit down again.

Recently I’ve auditioned for a proper permanent group and, to my surprise, actually got through. Wow, this is a whole new jar of tadpoles isn’t it? Need to learn about forty or fifty songs to some degree of competence plus some BVs. Plus the investment in things like mic stands, spare bits’n’bods, etc that were often provided before. More time, effort, and spending out than I’d ever realised. Loving it though. It’s given me a lot more respect for you guys that get out there performing week after week - I don’t know what I was expecting but this whole band thing is more consuming than I’d thought it was going to be.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    That is exciting news @HAL9000 ; all the best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    All the best. I think I’m probably officially past it now but some amazing memories of gigging. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3698
    edited January 2022
    Cool.. few things better than rocking a venue with a band.

Grow a thick skin.. and just turn a blind eye to any human / inter-personal silliness.   It is rarely the music making that grinds the gears in bands… just observe the band crap.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6717
    Is anyone in the band called Dave?

Have a great time. +1 on thick skin, let it wash over you like water over over stones....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1363
    It's a completely different playing field.
    It's hard work, people WILL hack you off, they'll be late nights, rehearsals and times when you want to jack it all in.

There will also be many many times when it's a sheer delight to be out there playing and using gear for what was its original intended purpose. Especially true of valve amps !

Best of luck HAL9000.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    What kind of band is it you've joined? Being in a band has really helped me musically with things I didn't pay much attention to before - timing, feel, listening to what everyone else is playing etc.

My ethos is to simply enjoy - not to worry about what everyone is complaining about - and to just get on with it.

Best of luck!
  • Enjoy have fun, the only downside is after 100 gigs you’ll only remember the ones that went tits up!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1282
    edited January 2022
    Excellent, I’ve missed gigging massively during C19 shenanigans. Loads of people are now desperate to get out and hear live music again, so it’s a great time to start gigging! 

The best bands I’ve played in are the ones where the personalities work well together, now distilled to a simple rule to observe when thinking of joining a band. “No twats.”

Enjoy! 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9732
    Garold86 said:
    What kind of band is it you've joined?
    Well at the moment it seems to be primarily Chicago blues but partly because the original band got formed from people attending blues jams and such like. There’s a smattering of other stuff but I think that will increase as people bring stuff to the table. I think blues will remain at the heart of things though.

Rehearsals have certainly made me aware of a certain sloppiness in my phrasing. Fortunately(?) rehearsals are being recorded so I’ve been able to listen back to what I’m doing well, what I’m doing badly, and to hopefully improve.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    Just to echo above comments - often not being a dick is a more important feature of band members than musical talent. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4991
    Best of luck with the band my friend. Do not try to play guitar as the guitar players on the record did. Work out arrangements with the band members instead, try to become a team member rather than the guitarist in the band. Play songs that get the audience dancing and/or singing along. Enjoy....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8751
    Just to echo above comments - often not being a dick is a more important feature of band members than musical talent. 
    Agreed. A band is a team. The way you work with other band members is more important than individual musicianship. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6717
    Oh, make sure you have a really good relationship with the drummer. That way when you have "the conversation" him/her/them it will be easier to tell say in a friendly and supportive way that they always speed up. And to stop it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2022
    merlin said:
    Oh, make sure you have a really good relationship with the drummer. That way when you have "the conversation" him/her/them it will be easier to tell say in a friendly and supportive way that they always speed up. And to stop it. 
    Appreciated. Luckily the drummer is great. Keeps it straight, solid, and simple. Like Mick Fleetwood this guy’s a human metronome.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1363
    Rocker said:
    Best of luck with the band my friend. Do not try to play guitar as the guitar players on the record did. Work out arrangements with the band members instead, try to become a team member rather than the guitarist in the band. Play songs that get the audience dancing and/or singing along. Enjoy....
    This. Majorly. 
    Part of the skill of being a cover band guitarist is figuring out which parts to drop or keep - as well as fill out the sound if for instance you only have drums and bass with you.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • HAL9000 said:
    Despite having played live a decent number of times I have never been part of a band. Always been charity events where we’ve quickly put a band together, learnt three or four songs, and done our slot. Or open mics where, again, learn three or four simple songs, perform them, and sit down again.

Recently I’ve auditioned for a proper permanent group and, to my surprise, actually got through. Wow, this is a whole new jar of tadpoles isn’t it? Need to learn about forty or fifty songs to some degree of competence plus some BVs. Plus the investment in things like mic stands, spare bits’n’bods, etc that were often provided before. More time, effort, and spending out than I’d ever realised. Loving it though. It’s given me a lot more respect for you guys that get out there performing week after week - I don’t know what I was expecting but this whole band thing is more consuming than I’d thought it was going to be.
    Awesome man, congratulations ,you are in the best place for info and advice anyway 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4127
    I really value recording our gigs as I listen back and either admire what I played or learn about areas I need to focus on improving that I didn't spot at the time and for me I really enjoy that chance to brush up.  Plus I love reliving the gig.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    This is great news.. being in a band is the best thing ever. It's a great time too because as mentioned above there's a lot of pent up demand. We've booked 5 gigs this week.. some new venues too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited January 2022
    merlin said:
    Is anyone in the band called Dave?

Nah… I didn’t join the Foo Fighters, The Eurhythmics, or Pink Floyd.
  • Nice one @HAL9000 ! As you have found out, it can be a lot of work but finishing the night after a good set is brilliant. Meeting people after the gig who genuinely enjoyed it and obviously had a great time is a lovely thing.

Good luck with it mate.