Taylor Big Baby

What's Hot
Hi

Was trying a few acoustics recently and liked the Taylor Big Baby. Tried the electro-acoustic version as well but that was made of different materials and obviously sounded different. 
The acoustic version was Sitka spruce too with layered sapele back and sides and the electro-acoustic was Sitka spruce with layered walnut back and sides.

I really want to try a like for like so does anyone know when they made the change as I think there was a version made of the same materials (spruce and sapele)?

While we’re here, anyone played both acoustic and electro versions of the Big Baby?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I understand the middle layer used in the GS Mini is poplar and the veneers either side make little if any difference to the sound. I watched loads of videos before deciding on the rosewood version - based purely on looks.

Both Big Babies now appear to be walnut so maybe you tried an earlier and later model and there’s another difference in construction?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5482
    I've played only one or two of the small Taylors and I'm vague about which. But I was amazed by the sound quality, and even more struck by the playability. I hate short scales as a rule but I enjoyed the little Taylor. 

I can't imagine that there would be much difference between two different cosmetic top layers on the laminated backs, given the same top wood (although Taylor do do some interesting things with laminate).

It is very unlikely indeed that there would be any difference  at all between electric and non-electric versions. (Other than the natural random variation you expect between two wooden instruments, which is probably very small indeed if we are talking Taylors with their very high degree of automation and outstanding quality control.)

• I understand the middle layer used in the GS Mini is poplar and the veneers either side make little if any difference to the sound. I watched loads of videos before deciding on the rosewood version - based purely on looks.

Both Big Babies now appear to be walnut so maybe you tried an earlier and later model and there’s another difference in construction?
    You’re right - just looked at the Taylor site and they are both walnut. The two I tried definitely didn’t sound the same!
  • Tannin said:
    I've played only one or two of the small Taylors and I'm vague about which. But I was amazed by the sound quality, and even more struck by the playability. I hate short scales as a rule but I enjoyed the little Taylor. 

I can't imagine that there would be much difference between two different cosmetic top layers on the laminated backs, given the same top wood (although Taylor do do some interesting things with laminate).

It is very unlikely indeed that there would be any difference  at all between electric and non-electric versions. (Other than the natural random variation you expect between two wooden instruments, which is probably very small indeed if we are talking Taylors with their very high degree of automation and outstanding quality control.)

I think I’ll have to get down there and try them again.
  • Tannin said:

So Taylor's QC is highly rated in the industry? That's refreshing to hear. Maybe for another topic though so apologies to the OP.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 2022
    Ive played two,  no idea (cant remember) which versions they were but over 10 years ago , great fun and easy to play - but the thing that struck me at the time,  the dreadful finish on the fret edges  - which I "think"  was a known issue back then......... probably a lot different now
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5482
    I'm no expert, @guitarjack66 but I should think that Taylor would be generally regarded as the benchmark.

Well, the benchmark outside Japan anyway - I dare say Yamaha would have a different view. And of course I am talking about  very large-scale makers. I should think that a small crafts-based shop like (say) Brook or Lakewood would take a different view again. But so far as the big US makers go, for build quality and consistency, Taylor is the business.

(I don't usually hold with buying guitars without playing them, but just suppose I was going to. Which of the American guitars would I mail-order with full confidence? Taylor. Guild. Also the small-shop high-end ones such as Collings, Huss and Dalton. And I'd probably stop there.)

• Tannin said:

So Taylor's QC is highly rated in the industry? That's refreshing to hear. Maybe for another topic though so apologies to the OP.
    No need to apologise
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2772
    My daughter’s Mini is Sitka/ Rosewood.  It is astonishingly loud and got a great slightly bright tone for a small guitar

ive a full size Sitka/walnut and I prefer it to the Sitka/Rosewood which is slightly brighter, and the “Mahogany” Sapele which seems more muted or “warm”.  I seem to get a good balance between finger picking and strumming