Can Anybody Help With the Size of These Bridge Pins?

What's Hot
I have no idea of the size of these bridge bins as I need to replace them as one of their heads has snapped off as I can show on this photo. They are plastic and on a Squier Fender Jumbo around 15-20 years old.

https://imgur.com/Gx1x53A

https://imgur.com/xShIKpR

Hope you can help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72429
    You can take one of the others out and measure it. Push them out from the inside, don't try to pull them from the top - if one has broken like that there's a good chance the others have become brittle as well.

Chances are they're just the generic standard size though - with a very few exceptions, bridge pins on this sort of quality of guitar are all more or less the same. I would replace the whole set, both to get a good match, and because of the above...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    You can take one of the others out and measure it. Push them out from the inside, don't try to pull them from the top - if one has broken like that there's a good chance the others have become brittle as well.

Chances are they're just the generic standard size though - with a very few exceptions, bridge pins on this sort of quality of guitar are all more or less the same. I would replace the whole set, both to get a good match, and because of the above...
    If you dont mind me asking,how would I push them out from underneath,what would I use to do it? Thanks.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72429
    guitarjack66 said:

If you dont mind me asking,how would I push them out from underneath,what would I use to do it? Thanks.
    A pick or a coin on the tip of your finger works well - or a thimble if you do sewing :).

This usually becomes necessary when the pins have been forced in too hard - they don't need to be, the ball end of the string is meant to sit alongside the pin against the underside of the bridge plate, not on the end of the pin. It helps to bend the ball end slightly before putting the string in, and aim it so the ball is pointing towards the neck of the guitar as the pin pushes down past it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anybody steer me to a website where I can buy a replacement set,please?
  • Anybody steer me to a website where I can buy a replacement set,please?
    Most guitar shops in the first instance. Assuming that they are plastic, a lot of shops have them.  If you want something special in the UK, try Allparts.UK. 
  • elkayelkay Frets: 77
    I have loads of spare bridge pins knocking about, including some tusq ones which might even improve your tone. PM me your address and I'll post you a set.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    What I do is buy pins a smidge larger than I need and then work on them to get the fit I want. @elkay ; a very kind offer to another member :+1:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom