Recommend me a youtube video intro to chicken pickin

What's Hot

Not my regular type of playing but I'd like to get a flavour of this but can never find a comprehensive intro to it that clicks. 

Thanks for any links. 
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1338
    Great thread soma1975 - likewise - I have never been able to get to grips with the technique - it never sounds "right" when I do it...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Adrian at Anyone Can Play Guitar, had just posted a Nice Lick lesson featuring some hybrid Chicken Picking...
  • Depends a bit on what you mean by chicken pickin as folk seem to use it for several things. 
    However, if it’s literally for making the clucks almost every video of Greg Koch doing a masterclass will include it. On one of the Jim Campilongo videos as well. I’m sure there must be some dedicated country players who cover it. 
    There are a few ways so you can pick one or mix them up. 

If no one else turns anything up I’ll look them up later. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    Cheers chaps. If you should see any links please post them. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • https://youtu.be/6PzoAuZ7Lx0

Brief outline on that from about 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/6PzoAuZ7Lx0

longer lesson from Greg from about 3:50 

Lovely stuff cheers will get stuck in tomorrow

• https://youtu.be/yhE7aLvYLng

Pasted the same thing twice up above for some reason. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    There are some good Jimmy Hiland videos
    Learn from a master 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5451
    I'd never heard of it, so I looked it up, wound up being shown ordinary hybrid picking, so I switched it off. Is there actually anything to the term other than just being another name for hybrid picking?
    Yes it's the clucky noise you get from plucking and muting the string. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5451
    Ah, thankyou Soma. 
  • soma1975 said:

Not my regular type of playing but I'd like to get a flavour of this but can never find a comprehensive intro to it that clicks. 

Thanks for any links. 
    How is it going? I tried a bit of chicken picking/hybrid style.....managed all of 2 hours before I chucked the pic and went back to my kind of hybrid fingerstyle hybrid picking.
  • soma1975 said:

Thanks for any links. 
    How is it going? I tried a bit of chicken picking/hybrid style.....managed all of 2 hours before I chucked the pic and went back to my kind of hybrid fingerstyle hybrid picking.
    If it’s literally getting a ‘cluck’ whilst playing that’s not reliant on a specific right hand approach. Greg Koch shows it with fingerstyle and hybrid. Campilongo shows a version that works with just pick playing. Think of something like the blues Baby Scratch My Back and that usually has cluck cluck cluck cluckoo in it, not country at all. 
    soma1975 said:

Thanks for any links. 
    A bit rubbish tbh.  think I need some good and simple licks I can chuck into my normal playing to get the full effect and Koch's version is like everything he does - a bit OTT. 

• LewyLewy Frets: 4215
    Tannin said:
    I'd never heard of it, so I looked it up, wound up being shown ordinary hybrid picking, so I switched it off. Is there actually anything to the term other than just being another name for hybrid picking?
    It's characterised by the little grace note that sounds just before the note, so to stay onomatopoeically avian for a moment notes go from being "Ga Ga Ga" to being b'Ga b'Ga b'Ga"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    I learned the trick from Greg Koch, he's pretty much the master off it. He got it from players like Mark Knopfler ..... check out Walk of Life  ..... and how all the sound is in the right hand really. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Lewy said:
    Tannin said:
    It's characterised by the little grace note that sounds just before the note, so to stay onomatopoeically avian for a moment notes go from being "Ga Ga Ga" to being b'Ga b'Ga b'Ga"
    Yup,they're called 'ghost notes ' in the Nashville Lexicon
  • Michael84Michael84 Frets: 27
    Another one here