Cover challenge 18 - the letter “E”

What's Hot

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5375
    Right, let's try again.

Playlist updated, but apparently no matter how you get the link, it just takes you to poopot's entry. So he's broken Soundcloud now and it's all his fault, especially as he has no right of reply for 10 days or so.

Hopefully this will work, although I don't think it will embed neatly:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited March 2022
    @Snags the playlist looks OK to me.

As you've probably discovered now, when I embed the playlist, I click on the link icon in the upper toolbar and paste the link in there.

https://i.imgur.com/JWUNDPM.png

It's not a competition.
    First two posts were from the mobile app which seemed to stuff up. The one that worked didn't work in preview, but does now. God bless Vanilla.
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    Cheers @Snags & the omniscient @poopot ;
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Entry sent @stratman3142 while @poopot is a naughty boy

@Snags that's two down now... no pressure ;)

For the first time ever I decided not to rip the piss and instead tried to do a respectful take on a song (and album and band) that had a massive impact on me growing up. It's my take on what might have happened had Alan Wilder and Flood not taken over from Martin Gore's original vision even if they were totally right to do that.

All done on a Roland A-49 only using two free instrument plugins - Soundmagic Neo Piano and Spitfire LABS Strings. I think they sound pretty amazing for free. I was very close to making it far too long with the temptation to slowly add more and more layers to the outro

Vocals recoded with a SM-58 through a Boss GT-001 and apologies for the backing vox as my perma-cold made high head voice far more unpleasant than it should usually be
    Entry sent ...

It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    Entry sent ...

It's in the playlist.

Thanks Pete
    @flying_pie You swine! :D

I was listening to the "biggie" yesterday and thought "Wow, this sounds a hell of a lot better than I remembered leaving it." and then the vocal kicked in and I thought "Hang on, this is the original I'm using as a guide track. BUGGER!".

So I'm now in a huge sulk and realising I can't possibly do it justice. But will probably give it a go anyway.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:
    @flying_pie You swine! :D

I was listening to the "biggie" yesterday and thought "Wow, this sounds a hell of a lot better than I remembered leaving it." and then the vocal kicked in and I thought "Hang on, this is the original I'm using as a guide track. BUGGER!".

So I'm now in a huge sulk and realising I can't possibly do it justice. But will probably give it a go anyway.
    If all else fails just go with the John Lewis Christmas advert approach. That makes it much easier.

Speaking of which, I would have had my entry in sooner had I not got distracted recording this first ;)

Listen to You Shook Me All Night Long by TheFlyingPie on #SoundCloud

I may have to kill you. I loathe when people do that. But it is very good. 
    Snags said:
    I may have to kill you. I loathe when people do that

I can't really disagree with that!
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    It needs a video with a lovable puppet before John Lewis will go for it @flying_pie ;
    westford said:
    It needs a video with a lovable puppet before John Lewis will go for it @flying_pie ;

Okay. I'll go and get Mr Crusty the special sock....

#shockedfaceemoji
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I'm doing Everlong, quite different to the original, but I am having trouble with the vocal at moment. As in, it sounds shit. No change there, always the worst bit to do. Good work so far chaps btw
    Took the liberty of adding mine to the playlist, as I'm not sure whether @poopot is around again yet.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-19-e?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Took the liberty of adding mine to the playlist, as I'm not sure whether @poopot is around again yet.

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-19-e?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Poopots back… I’ve been told I’m not allowed to call anyone a bellend anymore tho’… 
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    poopot said:

Poopots back… I’ve been told I’m not allowed to call anyone a bellend anymore tho’… 
    Welcome back! Were you on the naughty step as a result?

Habanero said:
    poopot said:

I've heard tell he's the absolute clapper's finale, too ...
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    poopot said:
    This is my written consent that you can call me a bellend, or worse ... I mean you do on the band chats ... :)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Habanero said:
    poopot said:

Yep… apparently the mods were getting stick from folk saying they were showing me favouritism… so I was made an example of!… (even tho’ I’ve prolly been coolered more than most - not really favouritism is it?)

but hey ho… there we are… take it as read that you’re all bellends till you prove otherwise :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom