New Handwired Marshalls!

What's Hot
koss59koss59 Frets: 849
Anyone seen these yet?

New handwired amps from Marshall due soon...
Marshall Amplification is pleased to announce 4 new additions to our classic Handwired range. These models join the 1959HW, 2061X and 1974X in the Marshall Handwired family, providing authentic vintage Marshall tone, build quality and authenticity.

These four ‘new’ units are based on some of the more rare models released in the companies first decade of business, and have never been released by us on a full production level, until now.

The additions to the Handwired Range are as follows:

• 1962HW – A Handwired version of the 1962 ‘Bluesbreaker’ combo. At 30 watts output, this is possibly the ultimate classic valve combo. Featuring 4xECC83 & 2xKT66 valves, Celestion G12-C speakers, GZ34 valve rectifier and classic 4 inputs, all of the nostalgic tone from the original ‘Bluesbreaker’ and more is featured here.
• JTM45THW – A Handwired JTM45 Tremolo Head. Based on the classic JTM45, this version not only features a hand wired turret board but also a valve driven tremolo for authenticity. Also featuring 30 watts output, 4xECC83 and 2xKT66 valves, GZ34 valve rectifier and classic 4 inputs.
• 1958X – An 18 watt combo featuring two Celestion 10” G10-F15 Speakers. Essentially a 2x10” version of the classic 1974X, the amp features 3xECC83 and 2xEL84 valves, an EZ81 valve rectifier, valve driven tremolo, Volume & Tone controls, and two channels (Normal & Tremolo) each with high/low inputs. 

• 1973X – An 18 watt combo featuring two Celestion 12” 1221 ‘Greenback’ Speakers. This 2x12” version of the 1974X provides a massive tone along with 3xECC83 and 2xEL84 valve power, valve tremolo circuit, an EZ81 valve rectifier and two channels (Normal & Tremolo) each with Volume & Tone controls and high/low inputs.
As well as each amplifier having its own character, common features across the range include:

• Handwired Tag Board Circuits
• Tremolo Feature (footswitch included with all models)
• Vintage Toggle Switches, power indicators and cosmetic styling
• Made in the UK
• Voltage and Impedance Selector Switch
• Volume, Tone Control and 2 separate channels (1958X and 1973X only)
• Full EQ section and 4 inputs (1962HW and JTM45THW only)

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That 1958x looks good on paper 8-)
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Bet the price doesn`t !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    My thoughts exactly..
  • They look and seem very cool, but as has been said selling organs ahoy to afford them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    I know someone with an original 1973 who would probably sell it for less than these are likely to cost.

Also worth pointing out that on the JTM45THW and 1962HW, the tremolo may be valve driven but it's transistor coupled! Bet they keep quiet about that ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Wha? you mean the audio passes through transistors on its way between the valves??
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Wha? you mean the audio passes through transistors on its way between the valves??
    No - the tremolo circuit is coupled to the audio path by a transistor which partially grounds it, like the Fender opto-coupler method but using a transistor. Nevertheless it's a bit misleading to subtly imply that the tremolo is valve... since it's just the oscillator and the way it affects the circuit is more dependent on the transistor. It's actually quite crude and doesn't work very well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ah, OK. IIRC my Bluesbreaker re-issue (1988) also has a transistor on the pcb but I was led to believe it interfaces the footswitch to the tremelo cct.

On the subject of how you get a tremelo cct to operate, I could think of:
    • vary the feedback resistor on an op amp
    • vary the voltage on the screen of a tetrode
    • vary the forward bias on the grid of a triode or the base of a transistor
    ... are any of those methods used?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Ah, OK. IIRC my Bluesbreaker re-issue (1988) also has a transistor on the pcb but I was led to believe it interfaces the footswitch to the tremelo cct.
    No, it interfaces the trem circuit to the audio circuit. From memory (it's a long time since I did this!) if you want to make it a lot better, you can disconnect it from the audio path on the 'bass' channel along with the two extra resistors, and reconnect it to the 'far' side grid of the phase inverter. That puts it on both channels and makes it more effective and better-sounding.

On the subject of how you get a tremelo cct to operate, I could think of:
    • vary the feedback resistor on an op amp
    • vary the voltage on the screen of a tetrode
    • vary the forward bias on the grid of a triode or the base of a transistor
    ... are any of those methods used?
    Not in an amp as far as I know.

The usual methods in amps are the simple level-reducing ones using an optocoupler or a transistor from the audio path to ground, or varying the bias to a stage, often the power stage in low-powered amps.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

The Ceriatone Bluesbreaker JTM45 combo uses a grid bias trem system that is all valve and works really well.

Marshall should nick that! :)

• None of these are new amps, really. I mean, it's a jtm45 with tremolo... Really?

If I wanted one, I'd not pay through the nose, I'd go ceriatone.

I was hoping it wouldn't say "reissue" because it's just an admittance of a lack of imagination or engineering effort...
  • None of these are new amps, really. I mean, it's a jtm45 with tremolo... Really?

If I wanted one, I'd not pay through the nose, I'd go ceriatone.

I was hoping it wouldn't say "reissue" because it's just an admittance of a lack of imagination or engineering effort...
    That's a bit harsh. 'Tis not about "imagination or engineering effort" it's about (a) trying to make what customers obviously want (b) cashing in - kerching! .... neither of which are ignoble moves for a manufacturer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    ICBM said:
    Wha? you mean the audio passes through transistors on its way between the valves??
    No - the tremolo circuit is coupled to the audio path by a transistor which partially grounds it, like the Fender opto-coupler method but using a transistor. Nevertheless it's a bit misleading to subtly imply that the tremolo is valve... since it's just the oscillator and the way it affects the circuit is more dependent on the transistor. It's actually quite crude and doesn't work very well.
    IC: I know you to be a very precise tech' so I am assuming "transistor" means a bipolar device?

If so why not a JFET? These are regularly used as gain control elements in some pretty high end compressors and have virtually no impact on the audio quality, especially if you use the old 1/2 signal to gate trick to reduce even harmonic distortion (tho' some might LIKE that!).

Dave.
    ecc83 said:
    IC: I know you to be a very precise tech' so I am assuming "transistor" means a bipolar device?

If so why not a JFET?
    It was bipolar on the originals (a 2G374) - since JFETs didn't exist in 1965! The standard reissues do use a J174. It would be interesting to know what these new "accurate" reissues use.

For forum purposes I refer them both as a transistor :). (Technically they are anyway, since JFETs are Field Effect Transistors.)

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

If so why not a JFET?
    It was bipolar on the originals (a 2G374) - since JFETs didn't exist in 1965! The standard reissues do use a J174. It would be interesting to know what these new "accurate" reissues use.

For forum purposes I refer them both as a transistor :). (Technically they are anyway, since JFETs are Field Effect Transistors.)

Indeed they are but then an ECC83 and an EF86 are both VALVES! I think it behoves us to make the distinction (where we know) between the two very different, electronically, devices?

Dave.