What practise amp

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DanDan Frets: 441
    I had the Fender Mustang I and really liked it for clean and overdrive sounds. Dont use high gain stuff so couldnt comment on that. Also got the THR10 which is equally as nice just a bit smaller which suits me better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Roland cube...i recently got a cube 40 an its fantastic.

(I cant believe i've become one those guys!)
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited August 2014
    Grunfeld said:

VimFuego said:
    Guess the only thing it must have is the ability to plug something into it to play backing tracks. Other than that, want a good blues tone, a nice clean tone and a good distorted tone (the v-amp doesn't do the best clean, leastways not that I can find).
    Any of the Roland Cube series ticks those boxes.  If I were really short of space I'd go for a micro cube.  But just slightly bigger are the 20W and 40W versions.  I've got a micro and an old 30W, very happy with both.  They have been absolutely bullet proof so far.

And they do all that FX malarky stuff and will have sex with your iPhone if you want that sort of thing. 

I'd go for a Cube. The 40, if you've got the space, because it'll still go as quiet as you need, but it's got more amp models and effects than the micro (the 'tweed' model, and the 'spring' reverb are both excellent), and there's a 3 band EQ and more oomph available if for instance you want a slightly louder jazzy/bluesy clean without things going a bit farty.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    the other benefit of the 40 is that you can hook up the 6 button footswitch to control all the effects, reverb, delay and channels.
  • samzadgan said:
    the other benefit of the 40 is that you can hook up the 6 button footswitch to control all the effects, reverb, delay and channels.
    I seriously wouldn't take all that much convincing to just get a cube 80 and rehearse/gig with that. 
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    If you wanted small, Yamaha THR5 or possibly the Orange Micro terror head, cabinet could be added to the latter at a later date.

Not sure how the Micro Terror does blues, but sure there must be a demo video on YouTube somewhere.
    These are the two on my current short list.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2932
    I bought a Peavey Rage 158 for £35 used, and it's shockingly good. If you want a no-nonsense option I would go for that. Lots of sounds in it too.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7342
    Fender Super Champ XD 2 (if you want to play tracks through it too)
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    use the volume on dial on your main amp/gigging amp?

big amps can play quietly too

WHAT? I don't believe you...... >:D< ;)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• guitarpologuitarpolo Frets: 120
    THR10C is my favourite.
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    THR10C would get my vote for a compact amp. A Mustang III v2 (100w) @ £220ish if you want the functionality of an amp suitable for home or rehearsals at a fantastic vfm price. Plus with the III; the distortion is much better than the I & II due to the power output/cab design and celestion speaker. Alternatively a Blackstar ID:15 TVP or ID:30 TVP.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    mike_l said:
    use the volume on dial on your main amp/gigging amp?

big amps can play quietly too

WHAT? I don't believe you...... >:D< ;)
    I know, I know. Its always frowned upon whenever I say it

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom