NGD

What's Hot
Got myself a nice Sigma GMC STE Electro Acoustic. Had action lowered by my local tech but not had the chance to play it properly yet. 

https://imgur.com/vcpgdkL
https://imgur.com/undefined
https://imgur.com/4YkXeH1
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5473
    Nice one. Sigma do a pretty decent instrument by all accounts. I am sure you will get good service from it. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1860
    edited February 2022
    Just an update on this guitar.I played it today and the 12 gauge strings are way too heavy for my style of picking and strumming but the strangest thing is the lack of a legitimate strap pin.It looks as though they've just stuffed an oversized bridge pin in the strap bin hole at the bottom of the guitar 

https://imgur.com/kgxvMW1

https://imgur.com/cdTKs2x

https://imgur.com/Ye97l1y

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    can't see the pics  - but good NGD  :) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    That last pic looks like you're holding a bridge pin. End pins are usually much shorter, stubbier. What do others think? :) 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Mellish said:
    That last pic looks like you're holding a bridge pin. End pins are usually much shorter, stubbier. What do others think? :) 
    I refer to my earlier post  :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    @bertie ; well it's bridge pin length, tapered like a bridge pin. Small head :) 
    It's difficult to be sure from the pics, though :) 
  • That 'bridge pin' was a fatter version of the ones on the guitar and was stuffed into the hole that should have contained the strap pin. No strap pin has been supplied.
    If it fits with no play, I wouldn't worry. But if it bothers you, you can buy end pins at most guitar shops or get your tech to fit one :) 
    I wouldn't dream of trusting the weight of a guitar to that thing. Throw it away and get a proper one fitted if you plan on playing standing up. Or if you play sitting down, just stick it back in and don't worry about it.
  • Tannin said:
    I wouldn't dream of trusting the weight of a guitar to that thing. Throw it away and get a proper one fitted if you plan on playing standing up. Or if you play sitting down, just stick it back in and don't worry about it.
    This was my point. It cant take any weight,it is not anything like a proper strap pin. It's just basically a bung,a stopper for the hole and nothing more. I thought that is what my photos would show as you arent supposed to just have a hollow hole,there is supposed to be a screwed thread in there.
    edited February 2022
    What should happen is that as you push the pin in the fit should get tight as the head meets the body. Most are just push in :) 
  • Just seen this answer on a forum talking about Martin guitars which were once Sigma's parent company

My Martin guitar is missing the strap button on the bottom of the guitar!

• Article #1721160
    •  
    • Updated on Oct 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM

This is normal. Martin does not ship their guitars with the strap button installed on the bottom of the guitar. They do this to avoid any impact cracks that may occur if the box is dropped during shipping. You can find your strap button inside the case compartment.

Unfortunately my Sigma does not come with a case of any sort so the hole is just plugged. It would have been nice to know that though.

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1948
    If it's a bridge pin it has a channel in the side to accommodate the string. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

It's true that Martins don't ship with end pin installed. If you don't like the pin that came with your Sigma, just chuck it mate and pick up one you like in a guitar shop. They're cheap as chips :) 
    @Devil#20 ; you can get unslotted bridge pins mate :) 
  • Devil#20 said:
    If it's a bridge pin it has a channel in the side to accommodate the string. 
    Yeah,I noticed that. It seems with Martin and Sigmas you have to faff around and get a tech or yourself to do all that stuff. Its just a bit of messing I'd prefer not to do. To be honest all I wanted to do was attach my strap and its just a bit of a pain thats all.
  • I saw something called elliptical endpins which seem to do the job so will get a couple of those.
    Yes but hang on, though. Are they for guitars that have an elliptical hole shape? If so, they won't do what you want. Research them first :) 
    edited February 2022
    Jack, be more patient and it will all be fine. Just wait 30 or 40 years and by then you won't want to play standing up anyway.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom