Looking at electro acoustics

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    I've never even seen one, never mind played one, but I seldom hear a bad word spoken about the Godin Group instruments, in particular Seagull. A used Seagull would be in the price range, maybe even a new one. Something to keep an eye out for.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the tips about Faith guitars guys. I hadn't realised they had drop-shoulder models. I'll definitely consider these.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    edited February 2022
    Thanks for the tips about Faith guitars guys. I hadn't realised they had drop-shoulder models. I'll definitely consider these.
    The FRESB45 is a beautiful thing indeed!

I think Tanglewood have done some slope shouldered dreads too.
  • If I was looking in this price range I'd also consider Simon & Patrick, Seagull, or one of their other related brands (I see someone has already mentioned Seagull).

I gigged a S & P S6 for several years and it's a solid guitar, still got it now. Not fancy but nice to play, stays in tune, sounds good. Worth a look. 

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I have an older Epiphone Masterbilt AJ45e and it’s superb. All solid woods, lovely neck, great sound. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7293
    One thing that tends to set the Sigma guitars in that price range apart from others is that they use "Micarta" for the fretboards rather than opting for Pau Ferro or similar non-endangered woods.  I have Sigma guitars with Micarta boards and I like them.  They are consistent in colour like good unstreaked ebony you just cannot get these days, and they feel to me just like wood.  Just like other manufactured wood substitutes used for fretboards (eg. Richlite) you obviously don't condition them with oil, but they do start getting what I would describe as a dusty appearance on the unplayed bits next to the frets.  A very slightly dampened cloth cleans them up fine.  That can be your small contribution to saving the rainforests if you buy one. Nothing wrong with composite fretboards (some Martins use it) and I prefer that to poor quality heavily pitted rosewood that comes on a lot of lower to mid range guitars these days as makers increasingly struggle to get decent grades of the stuff.  Somebody is bound to argue about tone here.

I haven't played or held a Sigma JM-SG45, but if the build quality and finish is anything like my other Sigma acoustics you won't be disappointed with either of those aspects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Tannin said:
    I've never even seen one, never mind played one, but I seldom hear a bad word spoken about the Godin Group instruments, in particular Seagull. A used Seagull would be in the price range, maybe even a new one. Something to keep an eye out for.
    I’ve seen quite a lot of them… usually when the headstocks fall off. Probably the most common brand for it other than Gibson.

Sadly they’re not very well made, and can start to fall apart quite quickly in other ways too. They sound good when they’re new, but just don’t last well.

Not a fan, sorry. I find most other Godins quite mediocre to be honest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Chuffola said:
    I have an older Epiphone Masterbilt AJ45e and it’s superb. All solid woods, lovely neck, great sound. 
    Thanks. That's on the list too if I can find one to try.
  • BillDL said:
    One thing that tends to set the Sigma guitars in that price range apart from others is that they use "Micarta" for the fretboards rather than opting for Pau Ferro or similar non-endangered woods.  I have Sigma guitars with Micarta boards and I like them.  They are consistent in colour like good unstreaked ebony you just cannot get these days, and they feel to me just like wood.  Just like other manufactured wood substitutes used for fretboards (eg. Richlite) you obviously don't condition them with oil, but they do start getting what I would describe as a dusty appearance on the unplayed bits next to the frets.  A very slightly dampened cloth cleans them up fine.  That can be your small contribution to saving the rainforests if you buy one. Nothing wrong with composite fretboards (some Martins use it) and I prefer that to poor quality heavily pitted rosewood that comes on a lot of lower to mid range guitars these days as makers increasingly struggle to get decent grades of the stuff.  Somebody is bound to argue about tone here.

I haven't played or held a Sigma JM-SG45, but if the build quality and finish is anything like my other Sigma acoustics you won't be disappointed with either of those aspects.
    I agree with you about the use of Micarta and I'm not a huge fan of Pau Ferro. Good to hear you've had positive experiences of Sigmas too.
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1113
    I've had limited experience with the new Sigmas. I've only tried one, in fact.
    It was an SDR-28 in Merchant City Music last year. It was well enough put together, but far from spectacular and it sounded really dull. None of the snappy bass thump you expect from a rosewood/spruce dread. In comparison to other £1000 guitars available these days it was remarkably unremarkable. They're also made by Cor-Tek which is a deal breaker for me, so I'm glad I didn't really click with it.
  • BigPaulie said:
    I've had limited experience with the new Sigmas. I've only tried one, in fact.
    It was an SDR-28 in Merchant City Music last year. It was well enough put together, but far from spectacular and it sounded really dull. None of the snappy bass thump you expect from a rosewood/spruce dread. In comparison to other £1000 guitars available these days it was remarkably unremarkable. They're also made by Cor-Tek which is a deal breaker for me, so I'm glad I didn't really click with it.
    I've just bought a Sigma from Merchant City Music via Reverb. I like it but it still needs setting up to my comfort level.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    @guitarjack66 ; you've got KGB not far from you for the setup mate :+1: