A short visit to Brook to whet the whistle

What's Hot
Found this today. Let's get the viewing count up! 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    ha there he is the old bugger........................

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Beautiful looking guitars and the woods are spectacular. I'm all for using local resources and non endangered species. A true cottage industry.
    Beautiful looking guitars and the woods are spectacular. I'm all for using local resources and non endangered species. A true cottage industry.
    it really is "hobbit land"    

and TBH a fuck to get to
  • GTCGTC Frets: 266
    bertie said:
    Beautiful looking guitars and the woods are spectacular. I'm all for using local resources and non endangered species. A true cottage industry.
    it really is "hobbit land"    

and TBH a fuck to get to
    Having done the journey quite a few times, it is really quite simple from the A30  - as long as you don't meet anything coming in the opposite direction! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember a few holidays as a kid travelling to Cornwall for a caravan holiday and then exploring Devon and Cornwall on days out. The leaving a 4am from here in the north west for about a 9 hour car journey brings back happy memories now,not so much at the time though!
    GTC said:

Having done the journey quite a few times, it is really quite simple from the A30  - as long as you don't meet anything coming in the opposite direction! 
    yep -  I know those lanes all too well - I was born not far from there,  gran and uncles had farms all round those parts  :)    
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 40
    edited February 2022
    It's a nice little video this especially because that's my Lamorna on the bench that Andy is polishing.

Adirondack top with English walnut back and sides. 

Phil
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11932
    edited February 2022
    Looks great there

btw I wouldn't have the guts to drill bridge pin holes with a hand held drill, is that the way everyone does it?
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3707
    PCT57 said:
    It's a nice little video this especially because that's my Lamorna on the bench that Andy is polishing.

Phil
    What do you think of it? I've got a Lyn on order with walnut back and sides, perhaps from the same tree?
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5480
    Looks great there

btw I wouldn't have the guts to drill bridge pin holes with a hand held drill, is that the way everyone does it?
    In small shops, it seems yes. I have seen it many times (I have an addiction to watching guitar build videos) and I still haven't quite got used to the idea. I guess it comes down to craftspeople having more faith in their own skill than I have in mine. Fair enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    drofluf said:
    PCT57 said:

Phil
    What do you think of it? I've got a Lyn on order with walnut back and sides, perhaps from the same tree?
    I think my Lamorna is excellent. It's my favourite out if the 3 Brooks I have. The others are figured mahogany/spruce custom Lyn and a rosewood/spruce Torridge. They can be seen and heard here https://youtube.com/user/MrPCT57
    PCT57 said:
    drofluf said:
    PCT57 said:

Phil
    I think my Lamorna is excellent. It's my favourite out if the 3 Brooks I have. The others are figured mahogany/spruce custom Lyn and a rosewood/spruce Torridge. They can be seen and heard here https://youtube.com/user/MrPCT57
    lovely Phil  -   do all yours have the same neck profile ? or is the Lamorna more classically  "OM esque" 
  • Tannin said:
    Looks great there

In small shops, it seems yes. I have seen it many times (I have an addiction to watching guitar build videos) and I still haven't quite got used to the idea. I guess it comes down to craftspeople having more faith in their own skill than I have in mine. Fair enough.
    When I made my two acoustics, I used a hand drill because I had no option, I don't have a pillar drill.

But then as all I was doing was going through a bridge that already had holes in, I used those as a guide to drill through the body and bridge plate, so it was a lot easier.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    When I made my two acoustics, I used a hand drill because I had no option,

you're the "real" Dennis ? brought your first one to the "jam" Tim organised in a hall near Swindon ?
    bertie said:
    PCT57 said:
    drofluf said:
    PCT57 said:

Phil
    lovely Phil  -   do all yours have the same neck profile ? or is the Lamorna more classically  "OM esque" 
    Thanks. The Lyn and Torridge are virtually the same but the Lamorna is very slightly wider which seemed a bit of a problem at first but I got used to it and probably if push came to shove I'd say I prefer it now. I had a Martin 00-18 for a few weeks with the 'high performance taper' and that is the widest I can just about cope with so Brook necks are good for me.

Phil
    edited February 2022
    PCT57 said:
    Thanks. The Lyn and Torridge are virtually the same but the Lamorna is very slightly wider which seemed a bit of a problem at first but I got used to it and probably if push came to shove I'd say I prefer it now. I had a Martin 00-18 for a few weeks with the 'high performance taper' and that is the widest I can just about cope with so Brook necks are good for me.

Phil

if I havent played mine for a bit, its takes time getting used to the  flat/slimness, especially as my Furch is a thick soft V (which Im beginning to struggle with)