Martins OM vs 000 scale length questions

What's Hot
Hey all, quick question - I haven't been blessed with long finger so wondering if swapping my Martin OM18 for a 000 would help reaching for that 4 frets chord stretches any easier? not sure how much that difference can be noticed. Don't have a chance to try both side by side hence the question here ... thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3707
    It's only a difference of half an inch in scale which (by my back of the envelope calculation) will only be about 2 or 3 mm between 1st and 5th frets.

1st to 5th fret is 125mm on my 000 so 125 * 25.4/24.9 = 127.5 on an OM. Not exactly that but that order of magnitude. 

Apologies for the mixed units!
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    In my experience, 000s sound boxier than OMs so I prefer the latter.

Specs like scale length should never be considered in isolation - nut width, neck depth and neck profile should all be factored in. For example, I had a 00-18 with a wide V neck and it was a challenge to play despite the shorter scale. By contrast, I have OM-42 with a low profile neck profile that's a dream to play.
  • Hm ok, thanks for that .. just one of those ideas when you have too much time to think I guess. I'm pretty happy with my OM18 (got it for a good price from Peach as well) so perhaps I should just shut up and play :)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited February 2022
    cbellanga said:
    Hm ok, thanks for that .. just one of those ideas when you have too much time to think I guess. I'm pretty happy with my OM18 (got it for a good price from Peach as well) so perhaps I should just shut up and play
    I think - and IME - construction and woods also factor -  Ive got an "all solid"  parlor that sounds much fuller and  less boxy than a "solid top"  OM  I once had,  

Plus  fret join (12 or 14) and body depth can also make a difference - you can get 12 and 14 fret 00 and 000s  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • There will be very little difference, follow your own advice and "just shut up and play."
    If I could only have one guitar a good OM would be what I would choose. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    Put a capo on the first fret of your OM. Play. Then decide if it is any easier.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    edited February 2022
    Brize said:
    In my experience, 000s sound boxier than OMs so I prefer the latter.

Specs like scale length should never be considered in isolation - nut width, neck depth and neck profile should all be factored in. For example, I had a 00-18 with a wide V neck and it was a challenge to play despite the shorter scale. By contrast, I have OM-42 with a low profile neck profile that's a dream to play.

If you want the OOO without the wide neck then the new Brooke Ligertwood signature has a 1 11/16 nut.  Don't know if any UK shops will stock it, as she's not well known, but it does look like a well thought out guitar.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1865
    edited February 2022
    Tannin said:
    Put a capo on the first fret of your OM. Play. Then decide if it is any easier.
    Good suggestion. The only way I can play my jumbo reasonably comfortably is to capo at fret 2 or above.
    PS,I have noticed that even fingertips and pads as well as shapes can vary from person to person and this can make choosing guitars even trickier. As the owner of small fingers,average arms and chunky fingertips and pads I can testify to these costly dilemmas.