PA Speaker power cutting out - help

What's Hot
Gigged the other night and just before we started one speak was cutting out and back on with a loud pop even when no sound was going through it.
Tried different plugs, kettle leads, mics but problems persisted. The other speaker was fine
I'm guess is the connection inside the speaker that is loose? 
It's an ld systems ldpn152a2 active speaker
(luckily we had a back up speaker) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10452
    Probably not a loose wire as solid state amps (AB or class D) generally wouldn't power off with no load ... possible short circuit as in wire has chaffed against chassis possibly but unfortunately probably more likely an abnormal load fault such as bad cap. 
    Take it apart and have a good look at all connections ... especially wires that pass through holes in a grounded chassis. 
    Then look for bad joints  .... normally the joints of things that get hot like large resistors. Bad caps will often have a bulging top rather than a flat top ... not always but it can be a very obvious sign. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll post pictures later hopefully will someone can see a fault. I'm alright with guitar wiring but not pa
  • Opened up. Works fine when lying down as soon as I put it up right it pops loudly and power cuts out intermittently.
    Only happens when a signal is put through it. The circuit and solder looks fine all inputs work but do the same pop when upright. 
    Tried different cables. Line out works when going to another speaker and I disconnect the problem speaker. Help
  • Module is fine when taken out of the case if its lying down, when wiggling cables it's fine as well
  • UPDATE: a friend and I tried everything and couldn't find a reason. But we turned the module upside down and stood it up and it works. I'm going to try it at practice to make sure but it hasn't cut out yet. I don't know why

•     best pics I could get
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10452
    See those large white rectangle things on legs  ... those are ceramic resistors. Check the solder joints on the bottom. You can get a situation where the weight of the resistor will cause the joint to work in one position but not in the other orientation.

It's good news though, almost certainly a bad joint
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks I'll get someone better at soldering than me to give it a go
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Looks like a job for that most useful of dianostic tools: the chopstick.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfamps said:
    Looks like a job for that most useful of dianostic tools: the chopstick.
    I do have a range of pokey things but I'm always careful where I put them