SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sorted Groove boxes

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17616
edited February 2022 in Studio & Rec £ tFB Trader
Anything really

Elektron Cycles, Samples, Digitone, Digitakt

Roland MC-101 or 707

MPC One / Live

Polyend Tracker

Also teeny synth modules like the Uno etc.

No full keyboards.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited February 2022
    Have you thought of the novation circuit tracks? I have the circuit  monostation, and it's amazing, work flow wise I prefer the circuits to the mpc and cycles,
    How are you getting on with the modal?

The mpc is truly an amazing bit of kit how'ver it does not have a step sequencer and the cycles I really did not like the menu diving was a barrier to my flow, how'ver if the live integrated a step sequencer I would have one again 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17616
    tFB Trader
    Have you thought of the novation circuit tracks? I have the circuit  monostation, and it's amazing, work flow wise I prefer the circuits to the mpc and cycles,

The mpc is truly an amazing bit of kit how'ver it does not have a step sequencer and the cycles I really did not like the menu diving was a barrier to my flow, how'ver if the live integrated a step sequencer I would have one again 

I have a circuit tracks!

It's awesome. Part of its power is the ability to work with other kit so I want it to have a friend :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Just FYI, Digitone is great but I wouldn't call it a 'Groovebox'.

See if you can get some time with an Elektron device before buying one.
    The workflow is *very* different to everything else.
    It suits some people (like me) but as you will see in the classifieds a bunch of people hate it.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Boss JM-5 Jam station type of thing?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:

It suits some people (like me) but as you will see in the classifieds a bunch of people hate it.

Yeah that's why I want to buy an SH one and fiddle with it.

Given the circuit tracks I can always use the midi sequencing there and treat it like a synth if it doesn't suit me.

I'm interested in how the Elektron workflow feels. I've seen a few producers who have Ableton plus a big modular rig but say they always start tracks on a Digitakt which is quite a limited device.

octatonic said:

Given the circuit tracks I can always use the midi sequencing there and treat it like a synth if it doesn't suit me.

I'm interested in how the Elektron workflow feels. I've seen a few producers who have Ableton plus a big modular rig but say they always start tracks on a Digitakt which is quite a limited device.

Yeah, I work this way, use Ableton, have a modular.
    I find it suits algorithmic thinkers- you're a coder, right, I think you will like it.

Have you considered Ableton + modular + Max/MSP or Max for Live?
    That is how I work a lot of the time.
  • Have you thought of the novation circuit tracks? I have the circuit  monostation, and it's amazing, work flow wise I prefer the circuits to the mpc and cycles,

I have a circuit tracks!

It's awesome. Part of its power is the ability to work with other kit so I want it to have a friend :)

I'm tempted with a tracks to go with my monostation, which I have been told is becoming a rare bit of kit, 
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

I find it suits algorithmic thinkers- you're a coder, right, I think you will like it.

I've currently got the 60 day trial of Suite but I just can't get into any kind of creative flow with it.

I find laptops and working with a mouse really creativity sapping.

I'm not sure if a Launchpad or something would make it feel more like hardware.

I'm also tempted to try Bitwig because it seems more like an instrument.

FL Studio was very approachable but it feels like a dead end compared to Ableton.
    Max MSP is my favourite way of working.
    It is a blank slate.

Also look at live coding with Sonic Pi: https://sonic-pi.net/

octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

I've currently got the 60 day trial of Suite but I just can't get into any kind of creative flow with it.

FL Studio was very approachable but it feels like a dead end compared to Ableton.
    Try to get the part in bold out of your head if you can.

DAW's are much more capable, the trick is to come up with a series of processes that work for you.
    Whether that is starting in another format and bringing it into the DAW later, or starting in a DAW, going out to hardware and coming back, or whatever.
    Trying to do a DAWless workflow is much harder, and less effective IMHO.
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

DAW's are much more capable, the trick is to come up with a series of processes that work for you.
    Whether that is starting in another format and bringing it into the DAW later, or starting in a DAW, going out to hardware and coming back, or whatever.

Yeah, I think that's what I'm coming to the conclusion of.

I had a quick jam with the circuit and the argon today and most of the time was plugging cables and farting about with midi channels etc

Just doing it in the DAW is so much cleaner.

octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Yeah, I think that's what I'm coming to the conclusion of.

I had a quick jam with the circuit and the argon today and most of the time was plugging cables and farting about with midi channels etc

Just doing it in the DAW is so much cleaner.

and recallable.

The biggest mistake I make is when I have something cool I say to myself 'I'll record it later', because it never seems to happen.
    When you are dicking around with hardware synths it pays to have some sort of simple recording function set up and ready to go at the press of a button.
    That could be a DAW or a small digital recorder.
    Then you need to file that stuff and stay on top of your library of files.
    Having DAW session files is the easiest way to manage projects.
  • I've got a Digitakt and a Pioneer SP16 I'm looking to move on - PM'd you :)
    tFB Trader
    Sorted for the moment. 

Thanks all!