Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

any ideas?? unusual instrument request left me slightly confused

What's Hot

Comments

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Make a fretless one, say it has infinite frets. Use a carbon fibre board for extra points.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Gassage said:
    Have you considered sending him to Cleartone Conversions and taking a commission off the sale?

Have we considered that it could actually be him.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    edited August 2014
    It can't be cleartone, the chap who has asked for this is asking for frets not fretwires...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16684
    So anyway, i politely declined stating it was a bit too experiemntal and i wouldn't want to take any money without being confident of success etc...

Got a really snotty reply back.  The guy is claiming to be a luthier himself????
  • If he is a luthier then why doesn't he build the bloody thing himself, armchair luthiers get well on my tits!
    Old Is Gold
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    The right instrument to play this score
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    WezV said:
    So anyway, i politely declined stating it was a bit too experiemntal and i wouldn't want to take any money without being confident of success etc...

Got a really snotty reply back.  The guy is claiming to be a luthier himself????
    Go on - share the reply!
    I wouldn't normally as I don't usually mind unusual requests and don't want people to think I do.  I do treat all serious requests  pretty confidentially 

Not very professional of me, but go on then ;) ....

I replied:
    I am afraid that sounds  a bit too experimental for me.  I do like trying new things but i would have no idea where to start with that and would therefore not want to take any money without being confident of success.

and received:
    Really? Judging by your other outlandish models it would imply that you could easily do this, Hell I'm a luthier and I know it can be done.

What exactly is the problem?

I have responded
    I do use fanned frets on a few things, but if you are so familiar with my work you will have noticed I have not done Many extended range instruments.   I believe a small fan  on normal guitars can be of great use, bringing tension and tonal improvements.   I am doing a 9-string fanned fret acoustic at the moment, but that is strung double course on the high strings like a 12 string.   

That doesn't mean i won't consider ERG's, but i think jumping straight in with an 11 string would be a rather silly way to start!

I also think your concept needs more thought:

30" scale length feels flabby on bass for me. Some vintage basses can get away with it for some styles, but the whole point of fanned frets for me is improved clarity on the bass strings.  here you have 2 strings going an octave lower than standard bass tuning, I would not be happy with the way they played.   But then if we increased the fan  its going to compromise everything else.  Essentially i feel that the big jumps in tuning between your strings will make the fanned frets pretty meaningless, there will still be massive compromises in tension.

The design sounds like a nice idea, i like alternative shapes like you have described.

I have no experience with graphine
    I have no experience with any 11 string trem that also has piezo saddles. 

48 frets???  why?   have you considered that this will only leave a few mm between the high frets on the high strings.  most instruments with this many strings have big frets to help with tapping styles. 48 frets would need tiny mandolin fretwire to even fit!

I politely declined getting involved for the reasons above and the stream of consciousness style to your first email - it all seems ill thought out and when i read it I honestly thought it was a bit of a wind up! If you are a luthier I suggest you have a go yourself.  I would be more than happy to be proved wrong!
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    If this thread were to be made into an episode of Dragon's Den, where the luthiers of the forum (including WezV) were the 'dragons' and this guy was an entrepeneur - this would make for some interesting television!!!
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • It's kind of amazing how he know so much about what he wants but so little about what is actually possible.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22891
    Very measured response, Wez, you've been nothing but polite to the chap.  He can't have been expecting any serious reply to the bit about graphene, surely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclaps;336974" said:
    It's kind of amazing how he know so much about what he wants but so little about what is actually possible.
    Its clearly a windup. Someone is pulling wez's leg.

Judging by the number of people taking it seriously, quite a successful windup at that.

randomhandclaps;336974" said:
    It's kind of amazing how he know so much about what he wants but so little about what is actually possible.

Judging by the number of people taking it seriously, quite a successful windup at that.

if I was taking it seriously I never would have posted it here ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72369
    If he is a luthier then why doesn't he build the bloody thing himself, armchair luthiers get well on my tits!
    The one that really gets me is when one of them brings you something and says "I do all my own work…" and you look at the horrendous bodged mess and think "who knew?!". But those jobs are almost always a poisoned chalice because whatever you do is never "right" - they always think they know better than you how it should be done, even though they couldn't do it themselves!

I learned a long time ago that it was better to find a polite way of explaining that I was not the right person to do the job and they would be better finding someone who was. That was after I fell out with one who if I remember rightly wanted something that was physically impossible and didn't like being told so...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    WezV said:
    randomhandclaps;336974" said:

if I was taking it seriously I never would have posted it here ;)
    You've certainly given them a very comprehensive response for a windup! I like to think it might be a genuine 'creative' type who was irritated by your inability to realise his vision.
    well you never know, which is why i tried to go for polite refusal first
    Just been sent this link as proof of concept, although I have declined in pretty clear terms at this point

scroll down for a pic of an 11-string which is apparently "very easy to play"

fortunately the vid is private and I can't see it  :)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22891
    Is that your man who wanted the guitar built?
  • horse said:
    WezV said:

why not point him in the direction of that guy from ebay that makes those really amazing easy to play wide nutted telebucker guitars