Any Gibson Bass experts here.

What's Hot
I´m looking at a Gibson bass that´s supposed to be from 1970. Serial Nr. is 257030. The usual websites say that might be 1965 but I´m not sure serial nrs. for basses were the same as for guitars.

Thanks in advance.
Wer nicht für Freiheit sterben kann, der ist der Kette wert.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    edited February 2022
    Gibson serial numbers were the same for basses as guitars, but hopelessly chaotic in that whole period so that doesn't help.

What model is it? That would quite likely eliminate one of those possibilities.

Photos or a link if it's for sale would be even better...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It´s an EB-O L with slotted headstock. One big pick up in the middle.
    It´s an EB-O L with slotted headstock. One big pick up in the middle.
    1969 or later if it has a slotted head. If the pickup is in the middle, it's even later than that, 1972 or later. 200000-series numbers can be anything from 1973 to 1975.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    I shall have a look in my A. R. Duchossoir book when I get home.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I shall have a look in my A. R. Duchossoir book when I get home.
    Book?

What´s that?

Just kidding!
    I shall have a look in my A. R. Duchossoir book when I get home.
    I already did :).

For what it's worth the 70s middle-pickup version is worth substantially less than the earlier neck-pickup version too - I can't give exact figures since the market has gone a bit wild recently, but they're much less popular, the whole thing is 'lumpier' and much less 'refined' than the earlier ones, and they're usually pretty heavy.

The pick up position is like here. Sorry, I see where you´re at with "middle"!
    OK, if it's a neck pickup then it's 1972 or earlier, so 1970 makes sense.

The pot codes would be fairly conclusive if they're original.

• PALPAL Frets: 539
    There were basically two versions of the Gibson SG bass guitar the early ones where short scale aroung 30 inches and the later ones had the 34 inch scale .I think the long scale ones have the slotted headstock ! Best to check.