Hofner Senator Bass Case

What's Hot
ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
Some of you might've read my recent post about wanting to buy a slope shouldered dreadnought, and I've almost convinced myself to raise my budget and get a used Gibson rather than Sigma, Epiphone or Faith lookalikes. I'll need to sell something(s) to find the extra cash, so I'm considering letting my 1963 Hofner Senator Bass go.

Given that I live in Scotland, Gumtree and Marketplace might reach too small a market, so I might try on here and on Reverb too. The problem is that I can't get delivery insurance without a hard case which I don't have. It's a long shot, but does anyone know what case might fit my bass? It's 45" (115cm) overall length, 20" (51cm) body length, width at lower bout is just over 16", and the body is 2" deep. With a squeeze the body would fit in an ES335 case, but the neck's too long.

I looked at the Epiphone Jack Casady case which might work, but there's no stock on this side of the Pond.

Would I be daft even shelling out for a brand new case, just to be able to send the bass by courier?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72459
    Given the value of it and the fact that most couriers won't insure any musical instrument not in a hard case, if you're going to ship it you need to get a case.

Gear4music do an acoustic bass hard case which should be big enough for £70 - despite being described as a dreadnought case and that it won't fit a jumbo, the bass pictured in it is jumbo-shaped and not a dreadnought! It will be too deep but you can easily add more padding.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Deluxe-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Bass-Case-by-Gear4music/PC6

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks @ICBM, I wondered about that one, and also the Hofner President Bass case which is also very deep, but also twice the price. I've actually not got much of an idea what price to pitch my bass at. Reverb has them from £700-odds all the way to £1300-ish. I'm guessing it's the dealers at the top end.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    edited February 2022
    Looking again at  the dimensions of the gear4music case, I think it'll be too tight at the lower bout. :) The search continues.

• KristoKristo Frets: 131
    I have a Protection Racket Deluxe Acoustic Bass case which is pretty huge. I think it'll probably fit in one of those.
  • Those Protection Racket cases are good. I've got one for a Fender bass. I've got a Mono dual for my guitars and I almost never use hard cases. Trouble is the Monos and Protection Rackets are not "hard" cases which the insurers seem fixated on.
  • KristoKristo Frets: 131
    Ah, my bad. It's strong, but yeah, not technically a hard case. I have a case for my Epiphone Rivoli bass that I don't really use. I think that would fit.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72459
    The irony is that I'd far rather throw my bass down a flight of stairs - probably a reasonable approximation of what couriers will do to it - in a Mono gig bag than a hard case, since the softer padding is better at absorbing impacts... but to get courier insurance, it must be a *hard case*, regardless.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Kristo said:
    Ah, my bad. It's strong, but yeah, not technically a hard case. I have a case for my Epiphone Rivoli bass that I don't really use. I think that would fit.  
    Yeah that case might fit but if I were you, I would hold onto it. They're not easy to get hold of these days I believe. I think I might have a local buyer for the Hofner too, so I might not need to spend extra to send it. Fingers crossed.