SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold - Handmade Patrick Eggle Prototype Stratford Acoustic £1500 this weekend only.

What's Hot
UHASUHAS Frets: 137
edited September 2023 in Acoustics £
Thought long and hard about this, but it's time. For sale is my Patrick Eggle Stratford, 30 years old. It was the very first Stratford ever built and made by hand by Patrick. He was using a new lacquer, which has crazed over time, thus it has a very vintage patina and when I took it to show Patrick 10 years ago, he told me to do nothing about it as it sounded so good. It has one ding on the front, an ex-girlfriend threw a remote at me, and it bounced off me and onto the guitar which was a stand next to me. Like I said ex! I bought it new from the factory back in 1993 , Im friends with Pete Goalby who was the artist liaison at the time, and he showed me this and the rest is history. It has no electrics, not even a strap button at the end. The story I was told was they wanted Gary Moore to endorse the acoustics, but he had a tie in with Gibson and wouldn't do it, he liked the guitar though. The second one went to Joe Elliot (Def Leppard). That was a tobacco sunburst and to my mind not as nice as this one. It's loud and it's light less than 4lbs , but plays lovely and sound like a mellowed maple backed spruce top should. I rarely pick up an acoustic and if I do its the Takamine that gets the attention, so time for a new home. Pricing is tricky, so I'm going to say £1500.00 plus shipping. I've seen a bog standard Stratford recently for for £4000, in worse condition than this and without being No.1, and this has the letters included to prove the fact , also on there you'll see the spec. If you are a lover of Pat's work you'll love this, it's special, and the flame on the back and sides are so beautiful to look at. It comes in the original Hiscox case too.

Full Gallery Here, really worth a good look..... 
http://imgur.com/a/GuoF4Oa
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wow!! Love Patrick’s work, have had a few over the years and still have one, but never seen an acoustic. This looks stunning. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UHASUHAS Frets: 137
    Time for a push , £2250 shipped , its a one off and you'll not find another.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This is very cool indeed. If you were closer to Birmingham I might have arranged something but TFB says you're...rather far away! Good luck though. I became a fan of Eggle acoustics when I heard  the Linville model for Gareth Pearson and had an early Faith guitar which was (theoretically) connected with Eggle, so I enjoy their sound. 
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    PJE makes wonderful acoustics.  I had a PJE 12-fret slope shouldered dread and it was just amazing, one of the sweetest sounding acoustics I have ever played.  Really high build quality too.  I think I'm right in saying that the Stratford was his first acoustic and it won awards for the best value for money acoustic on the market, although that was many years ago.  GLWTS! 

This is very cool indeed. If you were closer to Birmingham I might have arranged something but TFB says you're...rather far away! Good luck though. I became a fan of Eggle acoustics when I heard  the Linville model for Gareth Pearson and had an early Faith guitar which was (theoretically) connected with Eggle, so I enjoy their sound.
    I used to live in Telford, but moved about 10 years ago to the North. Logistically not great,  but the view from the window is a whole lot better :)
    surfguy13 said:
    PJE makes wonderful acoustics.  I had a PJE 12-fret slope shouldered dread and it was just amazing, one of the sweetest sounding acoustics I have ever played.  Really high build quality too.  I think I'm right in saying that the Stratford was his first acoustic and it won awards for the best value for money acoustic on the market, although that was many years ago.  GLWTS! 
    Interesting, I've seen some of the cheaper Stratfords in the past, but there was a whole load of extras that could be added. I remember from the price list at the time Maple back and sides was a big add on, and maple leaves on the board too.
  • surfguy13surfguy13 Frets: 133
    I don't think the Stratfords were cheaper models, they won the awards simply because the quality of the woods together with the workmanship and extras like neck/headstock binding and a lot of MOP equaled fantastic value for money.  Pretty much my ideal acoustic with the body size and cutaway!
    Bump
    Bump

• Looks lovely. What is the nut width on these? 
    edited September 2022
    Thank you , 43mm on this one.
    Price Drop Bump

• RevMattRevMatt Frets: 837
    edited September 2022
    The Stratford came in 2 standard specs, Pro and DLX with the DLX including some of the optional upgrades as standard (e.g. abalone purfling, maple leaf rosette, gold hardware and body binding). The 4A maple back was standard on this model. As per the (1993) price list below, the retail prices were £899 and £1499 respectively. Also including the catalogue entry for the same year...

Interestingly, I know of another prototype Stratford currently residing in a large Eggle collection (although that's not to dispute this being the 1st).

Thanks for all the info there. It's a long time ago now, but as I remember, Patrick hand built two himself, of which this is one, and then the production moved to Coventry, where there would probably be a "first off the line" prototype too?
    Bump
    Bump
  • PMed
    Still here.