How Easy/Difficult to play Bass from Guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    Theres a lot of good advice here and I'll say mine which repeats a lot

Its a completely different instrument its not two strings easier.

Play simply and simplify it

You want bass drums and vocals in the mix igore guitars keys sax kazoo

If you haven't learn scales and modes

Learn the pattern

I found that on bass you can drive the band easier than on guitar. with a good drummer you can make a real difference. With a good guitarist you can give them a foundation, ok theyll get all the  credit girls boys pronouns but thats being a bassist. If the guitarist can only play root chords you change simplify to fill your boots. They will still get all the glory.

I would prefer to play bass with a poor guitarist than guitar with a poor bassist. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    It's not difficult. I would suggest a shorter scale bass makes it a bit easier. The main thing to remember is to play like a bass  player and not like a guitarist. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    diap said:
    I'll tell you my biggest struggle playing bass.
    Singing!

I can sing and play guitar no problem, but I can't sing and play bass, so there must be some difference.  =)

I have that problem as well but I'm no bass player.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    PAL said:
    It's not difficult. I would suggest a shorter scale bass makes it a bit easier. The main thing to remember is to play like a bass  player and not like a guitarist. 
    Have a 'wow' for being able to sing. I reckon I could be paid to sing,but it would only be once and also to stop me doing it again!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Bass is a different skillset. The release of a note can be as important as the note itself and the way you attack the string including where on the string makes such a big difference. I actually quite enjoy ayong bass truth be told.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom