SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Vintage 1963 Gibson LG-1, factory X Brace conversion- super rare and cool!

What's Hot
Hi all, here’s a really unusual, rare and cool early ‘63 Gibson LG-1, which was returned to Gibson circa ‘69 and factory fitted with an X Braced J-45 Spruce top and Rosewood non adjustable bridge, and shot a very handsome almost ‘Cremona’ style muted Sunburst finish.

When I received this, I guessed it was a mislabelled LG-2, but the small guard, non adjustable backward facing belly bridge, sound hole rosette/sound hole size, plus clearly factory X bracing pointed towards something completely different.

The regular ladder braced LG-1 is generally regarded as a boxy and rudimentary sound, especially with the awful plastic bridges introduced in ‘63, but this example benefits from the superior J-45 X bracing and solid bridge, and is accordingly much louder, richer and more articulate- I call it the LG-46!
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• For someone looking for a fantastic sounding small bodied X Braced vintage Gibson acoustic, with original finish and zero playing issues, this offers a rare opportunity at a massively reduced price- way less than an off the peg LG-2 or J-45 reissue, less than half a ‘63 LG-2, far less than a ladder braced/plastic bridge LG-1, and a rare factory anomaly to boot! 

The action is just right, and frets show no wear, and aside from a couple cracks behind the bridge repaired with hide glue, and two smaller ones around the rosette, it’s in beautiful shape, and it sounds fat and rich for flat picking, and really has a smaller J-45 tone and response. 

Price is £1250, and the guitar also comes complete with it’s original case in very respectable shape, and I’m happy to ship anywhere as required pro packed and tracked.
    Thanks for reading and I’m happy to answer any questions so just reach out.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 710
    As a standard LG-1 this would be really well priced. With the ‘upgrades’ it sounds like a cracking deal!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Incredible price, that is a very cool guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As cool as a polar bear’s nose is that. I’m interested to know how you found out the background on the work carried out by Gibson?
  • Nice guitar! Too late for me though. I bought a J-35 reissue yesterday. Good luck with the sale anyway.
  • That’s bloody Lovely that!
  • any sound clips?
  • Sold! Thanks for all the interest 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Not surprised it went quickly. I was tempted but I only play acoustic once a year, if that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom