Brass bridge pins?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5450
    I've been playing the Mineur with 4 bone or plastic pins and 2 brass ones on the plain strings as per @sev112 ;It definitely sounds better with the original pins for the 4 wound strings; I'm not sure about the plains - the sound is different and I maybe prefer the brass but I'll need to do some more AB swapping to be sure. 

I also tried one of my just-bought ebony ones. This was a cheap set for $6 and the first one jammed in the guitar top and wouldn't come out. Some moron had made them too short so the old push up from below trick (thanks ICBM!) wasn't much help. I got it in the end, and got it without damaging a lovely near-new hand-made guitar, but there was a struggle and some language.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I'm not a fan of wood bridge pins. I'm always nervous that humidity could cause them to expand and crack the bridge. I may be overcautious but I just don't like taking the risk :) 
    ^ good point!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited April 2022
    Mellish said:
    I'm not a fan of wood bridge pins. I'm always nervous that humidity could cause them to expand and crack the bridge. I may be overcautious but I just don't like taking the risk  
    surely, by the nature of their shape - they're more likely to "pop out" ?

also what about any other bit of "untreated wood" - what if the bridge itself expanded ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    @bertie ; well it might but it seems like this is heading towards "I want a Rainsong cos I don't trust wood". I dunno, YMMV =) 
    edited April 2022
    To be serious, though, I have seen bridges that were cracked by wood pins. Martin's use of plastic pins, shipping worldwide, very different climates, there may be more to it than tradition/cost  
    mine are made from the teeth of my enemies 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited April 2022
    bertie said:
    mine are made from the teeth of my enemies 
    Oh, I've not tried that.

Cool.

(Should have a few spares as well).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72355
    bertie said:
    Mellish said:
    I'm not a fan of wood bridge pins. I'm always nervous that humidity could cause them to expand and crack the bridge. I may be overcautious but I just don't like taking the risk  
    surely, by the nature of their shape - they're more likely to "pop out" ?
    No, the taper is far too shallow for that.

It is a theoretical risk, although at least with ebony I would say it's very unlikely - it really isn't affected by humidity to any significant degree.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Update: after all the questions and the experiments, I'm back to normal. The brass pins are in the spare parts box and the original ones are back in the guitar. An interesting journey, worth the (small) expense and the (very small) time and trouble factor. 

What will my next whacky idea be? Tune in next week, same bat time, same bat station.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, I thought the brass pins would come out :)

Other materials include FMI, FWI, Ebony, Rosewood, Buffalo Horn, Boxwood, Snakewood.

I prefer bone. Some say there's no tonal difference but I guess there is for you if you  hear it, or if you  *believe* you do :) 
    I use coprolite,  very vintage 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Mellish said:
    Yes, I thought the brass pins would come out :)

Other materials include FMI, FWI, Ebony, Rosewood, Buffalo Horn, Boxwood, Snakewood.

I prefer bone. Some say there's no tonal difference but I guess there is for you if you  hear it, or if you  *believe* you do :) 
    Have you tried snake oil wood yet ? ;)
    @sev112 ; - no mate - have you? :) 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    I try everything out there, ha ha :)