Advice looking for a replacement guitar

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• itmitm Frets: 1
    Thanks for the advice - I'll avoid Fleabay. Can anyone recommend a shop within reach of West London that would do a good job of selling it on and not fleece me too much on the commission?

It's in pretty good shape. Bedroom use only and all original. It doesn't feel too heavy to me. There are some strange tiny bubble-like marks in the lacquer in an arc shape just above the pickguard. It's as if it's been left leaning against something circular for a while. Very strange, and only noticeable if you look closely. 

Unfortunately I don't have the experience to pass judgement on how it sounds. I only ever owned/played 2 Strats, and the first one got stolen before I really got to know it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Given the likely age of the buyer, you might want to consider a free ad in the back of Guitarist. I've only ever sold cheaper items that way but have always found the people who responded to be very straight-forward - none of that 'would you take my old fridge in part-ex' stuff...
    Thanks -  I was typing as you were posting. I've just had a look in an old copy of Guitarist and seen a '79 hardtail advertised for £1,500 (yikes!). It's described as "investment grade", whatever the hell that means. Baffling....
  • 'Investment Grade' means a really 'clean'/original/undamaged example.

It's the kind of phrase Vintage & Rare use to describe guitars which are very expensive....

Why not post some photos? That would help with evaluating it.

As far as shops taking a big commission is concerned - they have overheads to cover and are more likely to secure a sale at a premium price than a private seller. They can also take a card payment from the buyer - which most private sellers can't. You should consider these points when deciding if the commission quoted is fair.
    Hmm...I wonder if mine might fall into that category. I need to get it looked at!

Here are some pics in the meantime. I couldn't get an angle that showed up the little marks that I was talking about, but they give an idea of the general condition:
  • Looks like a very nice example - though the resolution of the photos isn't good enough to show up small blemishes.

As I said earlier, you need to be careful selling this. It might not be a 'Golden Era' vintage guitar but it is from a period where people will pay significant amounts - particular through dealers in wealthy areas - for a well-cared for, original example.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72342
    +1

While not perfect, that's in very nice condition and good enough that it will attract buyers for whom whether it is actually a great guitar or not may be secondary. It's maybe not "investment grade", whatever that means, but it's certainly the sort of thing that someone specifically after a nice example of a Strat from that era would be interested in. The actual year matters for many 'nostalgia buyers' now.

I assume you're referring to it as an '81 because you know when you bought it. You probably know already that the serial number indicates it's a '79, but that Fender used up the decals for a couple of years later. You can get a more accurate date if you read the codes on the pots, the last 7 digits of which will read '137yyww', where yy is the year and ww the week if manufacture of the pot - the guitar will usually have been made within a few months of this (later of course!). Fenders of this era often have dates stamped in the neck pocket and other places inside too - they usually differ a bit, and the date of the guitar is usually taken as whichever is the latest of them and the pot codes.

But certainly, if you don't want to keep this Strat, you can afford quite a decent acoustic :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72342
    Also, if it's as original as it looks in the pics, be careful if you take it apart to check - even down to making sure you keep all the screws in the correct holes when you put it back together! The pattern of wear and corrosion on them is usually very distinctive and putting them back in different places makes the guitar look obviously 'messed about with'. Yes, I am serious :).

When I take apart an old guitar like this I always lay the screws out in the pattern they go in on the guitar. It might sound crazy but this sort of thing really matters to many vintage guitar buyers, who want originality at all costs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited September 2014
    itm said:
    A grand? Good grief are you sure? Sadly it's a hardtail (I remember wanting to avoid the trem because of problems keeping them in tune). Maybe if the FG180 proves uneconomical to repair I'll take the Strat down to Guitar Guitar in Epsom and see what trade-in options there are.
    As said by others, you will get ruinous value on a trade in.  The other option is to get Charlie to sell it for you in his shop on consignment.  He'll probably get a lot more for it than you can get in a private sale or using Feebay.  His commission is 15% which is very reasonable.  Ebay commission plus Paypal fees would be 13% - although commission would top out at £750 sale value.

It's also hassle free.  You drop the guitar in, and they transfer the money into your account after they have sold it.  The only worry would be if the shop goes under while your guitar is in there but I'd imagine Charlie's would be one of the safest shops around given the regular income he gets from repairs.
    edited September 2014
    I don't think I have the confidence to take a screwdriver to it, particularly given what I now know about its value!

I actually used this source to cross-reference the serial number/date, although it does clarify that it's based on a theoretical scenario "if Fender had implemented the serial numbers as planned" (rather than over-producing serial number decals and muddying the waters re. dates):

I've added a couple of higher-res pics to better illustrate the odd scuff mark etc - DSCF5337.JPG shows the arc of bubble marks that I was describing earlier (just below the pickguard in the picture, to the right of centre). DSCF5339.JPG has another close-up of these marks. It's by no means in mint condition, but in exceptionally good shape for 30-year-old timber ;0) (mainly due to sitting in a nice comfy Fender case for most of its life)
  • I owned a maple-neck/trem version in the same colour ('Sienna Sunburst') which I bought in early 1981 - so it could have been made the previous year. The serial number was S941054 (how sad am I for being able to remember that?). The chronology of them is somewhat unreliable - but the number on yours is higher, therefore '81 is a pretty safe assumption.

Though (generally) Strats from this era represent Fender's nadir, there are the odd decent ones. They have some historical significance as well, as they are among the very last big headstock/3 bolt neck guitars built, before the introduction of the 'Dan Smith' Strats in 1982. And an a relatively 'affordable' year of birth guitar for the 33 year olds who fancy buying one....

I'd give it a proper clean, restring it and get it playing as well as possible, then go down the commission/consignment sale route.

Even after commission has been paid - especially in London - I'd expect you to get more than £1000.

To be honest, if it were mine, I'd keep it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks - that does rather improve my level of confidence in the age of the guitar.

TBH I'd be perfectly happy with a brand new Mexican or Japanese Strat if it played and sounded no worse than this one, and if the FG-180 can't be fixed then selling the Strat would be a great way of funding a replacement.

Can anyone recommend a reseller in the Richmond/West London area?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

itm said:

Charlie Chandler.  You could try Chandlers but they charge more commission than Charlie does.

• crunchman said:

itm said:

Charlie Chandler.  You could try Chandlers but they charge more commission than Charlie does.

I'd do this. You already know what sort of shop it is because you dropped your Yamaha off there. They've got a good reputation.
    Skarloey said:
    crunchman said:

itm said:

I'd do this. You already know what sort of shop it is because you dropped your Yamaha off there. They've got a good reputation.
    Makes sense. I phoned them this morning (no news about the Yamaha yet). They charge 15% and the guy I spoke to said that the average price for an '81 would be around £900. He said he'd be surprised if anything went past the £1k mark. Anyway I'll take the Strat in for a proper look when I pick up the Yamaha.
    Skarloey said:
    crunchman said:

itm said:

Makes sense. I phoned them this morning (no news about the Yamaha yet). They charge 15% and the guy I spoke to said that the average price for an '81 would be around £900. He said he'd be surprised if anything went past the £1k mark. Anyway I'll take the Strat in for a proper look when I pick up the Yamaha.
    Skarloey said:
    crunchman said:

itm said:

I phoned them this morning (no news on the FG-180 yet). They charge 15% commission. The guy I spoke to said that the average price for an '81 Strat was probably around £900, and that he'd be surprised if anything passed the £1k mark. Anyway I'll take the Strat in for a proper look when I pick up the Yamaha. I might dig out some lemon oil and polish in the meantime...
    So the FG-180 is back from Charlie Chandlers and a heavier set of strings seems to have done the trick. The guy I spoke to said that he might try stringing it up using a technique where you loop the end of each string through one of the other string loops (I couldn't quite picture what he meant). I'm not sure if he ended up doing that but the intonation now seems fine, so I'll probably hold off on buying a new acoustic.

On the downside, Mr Chandler reckoned that they'd struggle to sell the '81 Strat for anything more than £1k. He did think that it was in nice condition though. Since that would only leave me with £850 after commission I'll probably hang onto that as well.

Thanks for all the feedback here - it's been an education!
  • itm;350018" said:
    On the downside, Mr Chandler reckoned that they'd struggle to sell the '81 Strat for anything more than £1k. He did think that it was in nice condition though. Since that would only leave me with £850 after commission I'll probably hang onto that as well
    I think you are wise - when selling anything with a bit of 'collector appeal', it's often about finding the 'right' buyer - which can take time.

I assume given that CC would only be making £150 (less the VAT) that he wouldn't want it sitting in the shop too long.

As the economy recovers and people slowly feel more confident about their finances, you may well see prices strengthen - it certainly won't fall in value.

Or you might just find you enjoy owing and playing it...