HD-28 and similar

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5453
Carrying on from the Martin prices thread, suppose you wanted a big, bold dreadnought and were thinking about an HD-28. What else would you consider, and why?

I'm not in buy-more-guitars mode this year, so this is purely for the sake of interest. But I do like HD-28s and - who knows? - I might very well buy one one day. And, as always, I would play everything I could find that looked likely and pick the one I liked the most. Nothing beats trying things out for yourself.

But just supposing I was thinking about an HD-28 this week, which others guitars would you recommend trying, and how do they differ? For example, in the other thread I saw that @artiebear loves his Yamaha LJ56. What makes it different to a Martin? Or if you are a J-45 player, why that model? And so on.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Tannin said:
    Carrying on from the Martin prices thread, suppose you wanted a big, bold dreadnought and were thinking about an HD-28. What else would you consider, and why?

I'm not in buy-more-guitars mode this year, so this is purely for the sake of interest. But I do like HD-28s and - who knows? - I might very well buy one one day. And, as always, I would play everything I could find that looked likely and pick the one I liked the most. Nothing beats trying things out for yourself.

But just supposing I was thinking about an HD-28 this week, which others guitars would you recommend trying, and how do they differ? For example, in the other thread I saw that @artiebear loves his Yamaha LJ56. What makes it different to a Martin? Or if you are a J-45 player, why that model? And so on.
    As soon as you say big and bold, I assume a Martin rosewood D. The Yamaha ( small jumbo ) is wonderful, huge, shimmery , lots of bass and sustain, but less fundamental than a classic Martin. 

@Tannin, your original definition, that is a tough thing to define. Can you define a little more ? To me it is playing finger style how close to a grand piano I can make it sounds ( never very close, but you know what I mean |). Another guy digs in with a pick with diminishing returns.

My Sobell is a monster played finger style, too much played with a pick ( no break up, just too loud, too clear ), would rather play my D41 that way. 

You looking for volume or something that surrounds the player ?
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Tough one. I guess my other choice would have to be a  Hummingbird. I've had 3 over the years (2 Modern Classic, 1 True Vintage). All 3 had great playability. But you've said you're not keen on the Gibson sound. It's just that Martin and Gibson have been my two go to brands. I can't compare any others :) 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27050
    edited March 2022
    Bourgeois, Collings, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    I've got an Eastman E8D, which is more or less an HD28 by any other name, only I got it for £700 new (from Bax Music, who'd been slow to update their UK pricing on it post-Brexit) instead of three grand or whatever it was a new Martin cost five years ago. It sounds great, has more than enough boom for my taste, strums well, fingerpicks well, and has a reasonably chunky neck which I prefer to the Martin low oval. I put a scrape on the finish of the top while edging past a piano and didn't feel the need to freak out about it as I would have with a shiny Martin. I don't really lust after HD28s any more, the Eastman is more than good enough. 
    The HD-28,though,is a great guitar. The diamonds and squares on the board tells you the Reimagined series has had a makeover
    The forward shifted scalloped bracing, which you can't see but you can clearly  hear, makes it sound as big as a barn :) 
  • RicjoRicjo Frets: 20
    I was in that exact position a year ago and bought an Atkin D37. I kid you not: if you play an Atkin against any standard series Martin, it blows it out of the water. I sold my Martin D35 to purchase the Atkin.

Martin only match the boutique sound when you get into the custom shop or Authentic lines. They are fabulous. But not even the Modern Deluxe matches it.

I was at GuitarGuitar Camden a week ago today and the sales person and I did this test again, albeit with Mahogany back and sides (I’m on the look out for a D18 type guitar). When I moved from the Atkin J43 to the Martin D18, the first feeling I felt was I was playing a budget guitar - I kid you not. That was not the case with a Custom Shop D18.

I love Martin. I have 4 myself and will most-likely save up for an Authentic. But in the UK, no doubt that you get far more for your money with an Atkin (especially if bought second hand) than a Martin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4174
    Mellish said:
    The HD-28,though,is a great guitar. The diamonds and squares on the board tells you the Reimagined series has had a makeover
    The forward shifted scalloped bracing, which you can't see but you can clearly  hear, makes it sound as big as a barn :) 
    Yep, all the reasons I love mine so much. I also really really like the soft V in the neck profile. It's a great guitar.

I nearly bought a Gibson that day though - I genuinely can't remember what it was now, but a lovely dread-sized Southern-something-or-other. Only another customer had rung an hour earlier and had dibs on it so that was that. The Gibson was mahogany, slightly less toppy, different from the wider sound of the Martin but very warm. It also had that undefinable 'feel' thing, the dynamic range that allows you to play whisper soft and then dig in hard with the pick to really punch the notes out.

I've played a bunch of Taylors in the past, enough to know they're great guitars but that kinda Gibson/Martin mashup sound isn't for me. It's a personal thing. They play very nicely though. Maybe I need to try again.

One brand I was very keen to try was Larrivee, but finding one of those in the north of England just after lockdown was proving impossible. The nearest one at the time was in Glasgow or somewhere, a bit of a drive (and probably technically illegal at the time :) ). I'd still like to play some just out of curiosity.
    Ricjo said:
    I was in that exact position a year ago and bought an Atkin D37. I kid you not: if you play an Atkin against any standard series Martin, it blows it out of the water. I sold my Martin D35 to purchase the Atkin.

Yeah, I have an HD28 and an Atkin 47. Obviously very different guitar styles, and my HD28 is objectively a really great guitar, but the little Atkin is sweeter and also somehow even louder than the big Martin. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11451
    These days I'd look at an Atkin.

It does depend on nut width and neck profile though.  I'd want a V neck and a 1 11/16" nut.  That's what I've got on an HD28VE that I've had for about 15 years.  It's so comfortable to play.  I did talk to Alister Atkin at the Guitar Show a couple of years ago, and he did say that custom neck profiles are possible.

All the modern Martins seem to be 1 3/4" nut.  The Brooke Ligertwood signature is 1 11/16" of you want an OM/OOO size but I don't know any dreadnoughts that are 1 11/16".

crunchman said:
    These days I'd look at an Atkin.

It does depend on nut width and neck profile though.  I'd want a V neck and a 1 11/16" nut.  That's what I've got on an HD28VE that I've had for about 15 years.  It's so comfortable to play.  I did talk to Alister Atkin at the Guitar Show a couple of years ago, and he did say that custom neck profiles are possible.

All the modern Martins seem to be 1 3/4" nut.  The Brooke Ligertwood signature is 1 11/16" of you want an OM/OOO size but I don't know any dreadnoughts that are 1 11/16".

The Atkin D37 Pre War model has that spec and looks amazing. I only know because I'm looking too.. 

I'm going shopping in the US in a couple of months' time, looking to try and find something that beats my HD28. Atkin isn't on that list but only because they don't have dealers where I'll be looking. It's going to be fun :)
    @crunchman ; - I don't disagree at all with your nut width comment. I love my HD-28 Reimagined. I wouldn't say I struggle with 1 3/4 but I'm happier with 1 11/16. One of these days I'll figure out how to post pics and you'll all drool :) 
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 298
    Someone on this board is itching to sell me a HD28 reimagined. I can taste it. 
    randella said:
    Mellish said:
    Yep, all the reasons I love mine so much. I also really really like the soft V in the neck profile. It's a great guitar.

I nearly bought a Gibson that day though - I genuinely can't remember what it was now, but a lovely dread-sized Southern-something-or-other. Only another customer had rung an hour earlier and had dibs on it so that was that. The Gibson was mahogany, slightly less toppy, different from the wider sound of the Martin but very warm. It also had that undefinable 'feel' thing, the dynamic range that allows you to play whisper soft and then dig in hard with the pick to really punch the notes out.

I've played a bunch of Taylors in the past, enough to know they're great guitars but that kinda Gibson/Martin mashup sound isn't for me. It's a personal thing. They play very nicely though. Maybe I need to try again.

One brand I was very keen to try was Larrivee, but finding one of those in the north of England just after lockdown was proving impossible. The nearest one at the time was in Glasgow or somewhere, a bit of a drive (and probably technically illegal at the time :) ). I'd still like to play some just out of curiosity.
    The shop in Middlesbrough had some Larrivee in stock fairly recently. 
    edited March 2022
    @ditchboy ; - never tried a Larrivee. Never even seen one in the flesh. In any case, I'm not like you lot. I can't just walk into a guitar store, try them, like one and buy it. No, I have to fill out six sheets of foolscap over why I need two guitars when "You can't even play one!"  s. Mrs Mellish is a classically trained guitarist. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    It's not that way for me. Although there is a Mrs Tannin, I can walk into any shop I like, play anything I want, and if I enjoy it enough, simply buy it on the spot. No problem.

(Just don't ask what happens when I take it home.)

Mellish said:
    @ditchboy ; - never tried a Larrivee. Never even seen one in the flesh. In any case, I'm not like you lot. I can't just walk into a guitar store, try them, like one and buy it. No, I have to fill out six sheets of foolscap over why I need two guitars when "You can't even play one!"  s. Mrs Mellish is a classically trained guitarist. 
    I’m out of space so have to do one in one out! I used to have a Larrivee dread. Loved that thing don’t know why I ever got rid. I’m an hour away from any good shops now tbf. Newcastle or Middlesbrough. 
    @ditchboy ; - there's a store up north that I thoroughly recommend: Eagle Music. Primarily a banjo store, it has guitars too and very knowledgeable staff. It's in Huddersfield. I bought an Ome North Star openback there. Lovely thing, he goes gigging with my HD-28 :) 
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I was after a good dreadnought just over a year ago. Couldn't afford a D28 so went for a Taylor 710e...lovely instrument
    @lincolnblue ; - bit of a derail so apologies to OP, but Guitar George - would you take an high end acoustic to him for a pro setup? Looking for someone local :) 
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    Mellish said:
    @lincolnblue ; - bit of a derail so apologies to OP, but Guitar George - would you take an high end acoustic to him for a pro setup? Looking for someone local :) 
    I've never used him but the shop I bought my Taylor from use him as their tech