Studio chair recommendations?

What's Hot
What's the thinking on the best studio chair at the moment?  I've been looking for something for a new studio but it's harder than it seems.  I'm looking for something with arm rests that get out of the way for playing guitar, that I can sit and mix in all day without getting too warm in my rather warm space. 

I've seen some good looking gaming chairs, but the logos all over them are off-putting...is a recon Aeron still the way to go?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Loads of options from IKEA
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    An Aeron is an excellent chair. I bought mine without arms. They are available with arms but I have no idea if they are removable or could be swung out of the way.

I am no gamer but some photos I have seen have gamers in chairs with very high backs, by which I mean higher than shoulder height. These would not be suitable for a music studio as sound will reflect off the high back towards your ears and give you an untrue sound image.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26586
    edited March 2022
    I use a Secret Lab Titan XL. Have to sit forward a bit when playing, but the arm rests move far enough out of the way that it's not a perched-on-the-edge job.

Also, it's the most comfortable chair I've ever owned. Stays cool, too (which is an underrated quality!).
    <space for hire>
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Ignore the unhelpful Ikea comment :D that's akin to saying "ask Google". For long sessions, I use an ergonomic mesh chair, they're so much more comfortable than any gaming chair  I have used, plus you dont look like a toddler in a playpen  :D 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    edited March 2022
    Herman Miller Aeron or Mirra 2.

However I’ve found my favourite thing for playing guitar on is a drum stool. I’ve got a round Roc n Soc with a Gibraltar base that I use for guitar, and my Aeron stays set up with the arms at the optimal position for computer use
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2177
    I’ve got the Aeron. They are the best chairs.I can play the the arms right down. If it was the only chair I played in, I’d likely remove the arms. 

As above, I prefer being on a stool. You sit up better. 
  • BusheySiBusheySi Frets: 64
    Thanks all!  Aeron seems to be the way forward....and good point @Whistler on the sound image.
  • UngulateUngulate Frets: 223
    Flash Furniture Mid-Back Transparent Black Mesh Executive Swivel Office Chair with Melrose Gold Frame and Flip-Up Arms, Metall, Schwarz, 55.88 x 62.23 x 104.14 cm https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078XZ9622/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_WHRRR6B8999HA184ZCB1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure this link will work but it's a great mesh chair, with arms that lift. I can play guitar in it & it's £168 unlike Herman Miller chairs!
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    I use an Aeron, then have a second chair from costco with the arms removed if I want to play guitar for more than a few minutes
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    We have Aerons.
    I love them but some people don't like mesh.
    Try before you buy, ideally for a day or so,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28228
    octatonic said:
    We have Aerons.
    I love them but some people don't like mesh.
    Try before you buy, ideally for a day or so,
    Yup - Herman Miller make some decent chairs, but they don't fit everyone. I went RH after trying a lot of options in Back2. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1098
    Orangebox Eva chair for me...

You can get them BTO with various options as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 707
    I have just bought an orangebox eva based on @wibble recommending it.

I previously had a Humanscale Freedom.

The Humanscale is a £1,000 chair full retail, but got it for £250 on ebay 2nd hand. It was discussed as having arms that fold flat, but the although the arms do go somewhat out of the way they don't go completely out of the way and it wasn't a perfect solution for guitar playing. As an aside, as a chair it was probably the most comfortable office chair that I've ever used.

After a couple of years of using it one of the kids broke an armrest so it gave me the excuse to get a different chair.

The Eva is about £500 new, but got my one for £100 on facebook marketplace.

It isn't as comfortable as the humanscale, but it's still a very well made thing. As far as the arms getting out of the way - it isn't absolutely perfect, but it is miles better than the humanscale so I'm fairly happy with the purchase so far.

Hope that helps someone.