Still asked to this day if I play lead or rhythm guitar by non-musos...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• JfingersJfingers Frets: 366
    What did Ziggy do? I just say that I play my guitar, my way. You either like it or you don't.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    As Keef said, you can't go into a shop and buy a lead guitar.  "You're a guitar player and you play guitar".
    Those lead guitars are only suitable for really heavy metal
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    CaseOfAce said:
    I always get asked "do you sing?" whenever I say I can play the guitar. (I can't sing very well by the way).
    This reminds me of the time I turned up at a party years ago with a newly bought Takamine acoustic in tow (the host had asked me to bring it along to show him, in my defence! - honest).

Invariably later that night the other party goers saw it and said ...ooh play us a song... at which point I strummed a few chords, half-a*rsed played a fingerpicking tune I knew...  and it suddenly dawned on me that I really should learn to sing as well as play guitar.

Lesson learnt. I wasn't the first guitarist to learn this the hard way - and I won't be the last.

A great one for this is 'Time in a bottle 'by Jim Croce
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9675
    Guitar solos are lame.
    They certainly can be. I’d much rather play (or listen to) fills that serve the song than some pointless ego-driven widdlefest. I don’t mind a longer solo as long as there’s some point to it, but far too often it’s just an excuse for showing off.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27004
    It’s not just musos who ask rhythm or lead, it’s often classical musos as well. I’ve heard classical folks talk about bands having “2 guitars” when they mean 1 guitar and 1 bass, because in an orchestra a bass is a double bass, so anything turned sideways and hung on a strap is a guitar. 

I don’t let it bother me..!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    As Keef said, you can't go into a shop and buy a lead guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom