Oil Finish Guitars- yay or nay?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2400
    While I agree with the initial examples at the start of the trhead - lacquer looks much, much more professional - I still much prefer the feel of oil, or at least a thin satin nitro finish. I like my guitars to feel like wood, not plastic.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Safe to say I'm a "Yay". 
    3 partscasters. 3 oil finishes. 
    https://i.imgur.com/vKVZJui.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    timmypix said:
    While I agree with the initial examples at the start of the trhead - lacquer looks much, much more professional - I still much prefer the feel of oil, or at least a thin satin nitro finish. I like my guitars to feel like wood, not plastic.
    Not sure why oil is not professional it’s now used on loads of high end guitars way further up the guitar food chain than factory guitars.

i think it only looks amateurish if you are learning how to do it or try like I did to extend it beyond its purpose like I did to attempt o get a solid colour. 

Also so a lot of partscasters look amateurish because of the builders taste and I say this with respect. You like red guitars so you dye a piece of Alder red with a grain pattern meant only to have a solid colour you use not enough dye so it looks insipid then add Tru oil over it. It look amateurish if you go onto do more you can end up as good as some of the amazing finishes here it’s all about what you like.

i would take oil over most finishes these days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom