New Teacher - expectations

I had my 2nd lesson with my new teacher and it didn't come out as expected. I had practiced the stuff he asked me to but we never heard much of it. The discussion went on around how to practice and how to get the best out of it. I have to say, I can see the value but it's more about what to do rather than how to do it. Bit disappointed really.

So, when I got home and had time to think, I took the bull by the horns and asked we do a bit more playing. Even suggested a song and how we go about it. Wonder how that will sit?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    Depends what he's telling you. There's plenty of how to play x song videos on youtube, but very few of them include interesting insights on how to effectively practice. Sounds like he could be good.
  • PALPAL Frets: 539
    Hi. I tech guitar and bass. I like to tech what the student want's to learn and then explain how it all works. It's a bit of carrot and a bit of stick really..Lots of people who tech guitar or bass teach what they know ! This makes it easy for them as they don't have to take the time to learn something in their own time ! We all have limitations but if I'm asked to learn a song which doesn't fit with my style I can work it out and show the student how to play it then they can put the time in and work on it at home. I don't do TAB as I think you may as well learn to read music notation ( I don't read music ) I have been successful with the people I teach and have been doing it for ten years I realize I may not be right for everyone.
    You are the the customer and after all you wouldn't go to buy a car and be sold a bike !
    Find someone who is willing to teach you what you want to learn and if they can't move on to the next teacher until  you find someone who will teach you what you want and your progress will be better because your interest will be there.
    Hope this help. John.
  • I always ask my students what music they like and what they want out the lessons. That gives me an idea of what to plan the lessons around. If they like rock bands for example then its stuff like power chords, palm muting and soloing using the pentatonic scales. If its acoustic pop artists then its more chords and strumming, maybe with some finger picking.

If the first thing a tutor asks at the beginning of a lessons is "what do you want to do today?" you should run a mile. That says to me they haven't got anything prepared beforehand and can't be bothered to put in the hours putting anything together to fit what you're after.

Whist YouTube videos are good for learning songs they're usually only 3-4 minutes long and involve someone playing it once, then again slowly. That's not really teaching its just a demonstration. Also most of them go too fast for a beginner to keep up or there's not enough emphasis on the rhythm of the song which accounts for most of playing it well.

If I teach a song I will research up on how its played properly so it sounds as accurate as possible, then maybe tweak it to suit their ability. I.e if they can't play barre chords yet I'll arrange it another key with a capo on to use open chords. Then break down the parts separately. Then I demonstrate and we play it together so they have a reference to tell if they're playing it correctly.

I try to make my lessons 85% playing, I've known learners who have come from other teachers and say they talked far too much. You're paying for their knowledge and guidance, not to talk about other irrelevant stuff!
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    My new teacher got back to me and he's up for it. So more playing and more mistakes - but that's OK. I'm there to learn not to be perfect.

Looking forward to my next lesson in a couple of weeks - I'm old and slow these days.
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    I've only had guitar lessons from two people, and I've had sax lessons (for a year or so).

One was a classical tutor, and that was almost 100% playing. She'd put the sheet music in front of me, I'd play it, and then we'd work through identifying places where I was struggling, things I needed to change, repeating the tricky sections and then zeroing in on things I needed to work on for the next lesson. Once the basics of a piece were mastered we'd work on phrasing, interpretation, etc.

The other was a jazz guy, and that was basically improv. He'd comp for me, and then we'd work through a couple of pieces, and he'd critique what I was doing, suggest areas where I needed to learn things, e.g. when I just didn't know the right scales/arpeggios, or where something was rusty or too slow. Again, that was probably a bit more talking than the classical tutor,  but it was still mostly me playing.

Sax tutor was similar. 

In all cases, there was talking, but the bulk of the lesson, 70% or more, was me playing. They almost never played, except to accompany me, or if we were doing duets (with the classic tutor).
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    One of my teachers when I was younger taught how to learn and practice.  

We discussed how to learn from CDs and how to try the different fingerings which would gradually inform the most likely position it was played in.  I was with him for about a year until he said it was time to apply this on my own.  It’s really stood me in good stead.  

At uni the lessons were different it was more about interpretation and arranging.  

I think it all depends on the learning style that suits the individual.  I prefer playing with others but learning in my own time. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    Learning how to practice is a skill and personally I think it's OK for a teacher to go over that in an early lesson. But it shouldn't be every time.