Cover Challenge #18 "E” Voting thread

What's Hot
poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
edited April 2022 in Making Music
This is the vote for the 18th fretboard cover challenge. 

Everlong- foos
or
any other song beginning with “E”

Lots of entries this time... Good work... Special mention to @flying_pie who starts one of his entries with -10 points
There a few with a 5 point head start as well..

The entries can be heard in the playlist below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/cover-challenge-19-e

All that is required is to pick your top three and post them in the thread below.

Points are awarded as follows - 5 points for first place, 3 points for second place and 1 point for third place.

*****NOTE***** for those that have entered more than 1 cover, each cover will be treated as one entry... you're not combining points

however some of the entrants each have a bonus 5pts for picking the original song choice by the previous winner

Entrants obviously aren't allowed to vote for themselves. Voting closes at 11.30pm on  Sunday 10th April…

The winner will have 48hours to send me their song choice for the next challenge… or I’ll pick for you if you don’t… any song you like as long as it begins with the letter “F”.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    E, you bellend
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Snags said:
    E, you bellend
    Alright!!!! Calm down… it’s before noon ffs!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited April 2022
    5 - @monquixote ;;;;; Quite short but had the most ‘emotional impact’. Tight low end.
    3 - @IMC1980 ;;;;; Great cover - I like the stereo width of the acoustic guitars. Awesome pipes as usual.
    1 - @Habanero ;;;;; - Great job. Chorus got stuck in my head all day.
    edited April 2022
    Ok… points as awarded from the sofa.

5pts @IMC1980 - nice lofi version… like that
    3pts @snags - (Emma goth chocolate) again, like the logo feel and dissonant nature…
    1pt @flying_pie - just a nice rendition…

A lot of good entries this time tho’ was quite hard to narrow it down…
    edited April 2022
    {EDITED: got a bollocking for trying to do a "tied" score, so apologies to the loser of the coin toss}

I thought I knew where I stood on these, but having just worked through them all again, I'm all of a bother.

So, based purely on my personal emotional response rather than any specific technical criteria:

5pts @flying_pie for "Silence" - I just really, really like that version
    3pts @poopot t/a Cousin Slippyfist - it's just super jolly and makes me smile every time I hear it
    1pt @IMC1980 - a really nice "chilled" version that retains the essence of the original

@Habanero - brilliantly executed, but utterly unforgivable. Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done

@FNPT - kudos for actually tackling the assigned song head-on; have more faith in your vocals :)

I think I've probably played this play list more times than any of the other challenges, though, and just used it as background whilst working. So you're all winners really D
    Bugger, meant to say I really, really wanted to vote for @flying_pie Easy Like Napalm Death because I still laugh every time it comes through on the loop, but, well, I just couldn't quite do it :)
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • westfordwestford Frets: 580
    Got my top 5 narrowed down to a top 3, that was tough.

5 pts- @monquixote ;
    3 pts - @stratman3142 ;
    1 pt - @flying_pie ;

and thanks @poopot for getting EB&D stuck in my head for weeks
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    5 points @monquixote absolutely love it. I can just picture it on Ministry Of Sound the dad rock sessions
    3 points @poopot - top guest vocal, wicked fiddle and great jjob with the country rock guitar
    1poibt @stratman3142 it just made me smile

Sorry to @IMC1980 as I just couldn't get my head around the slower tempo and different beat. It messed with my heart too much!

Great job all around. Very difficult to narrow it down 

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Thought I should vote since I didn't partake this month.  My voting is heavily skewed and I make no apologies for it.  As soon as The Sisters of Mercy crop up my points will go there so ...

5 points - @Snags ... yes I know technically it's Hot Chocolate, but that that version was waaaaaaay more Eldritch.  Nice one.
    3 points - @IMC1980 ... I really like this, once I got my head around what you were trying to do it sort of fell into place.
    1 points - @flying_pie ... great version of another song I have a great affinity for.

Some great work all round peeps.  Long may this continue.  I may be back next month, depends on the song and if I actually get any sodding time where my head works.
    Thanks @Bezzer .  So, F next. Hrm. Flood? Floorshow? ;)

Snags said:

You'll be glad I'm not going to win as I'm ready going to choose Far Beyond The Sun by Yngwie Malmsteen
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Snags said:

You'll be glad I'm not going to win as I'm ready going to choose Far Beyond The Sun by Yngwie Malmsteen
    Ooh, might do that anyway … mwah ha ha ha
    Bezzer said:
    Ooh, might do that anyway … mwah ha ha ha
    I did figure that your good self and stratman would have the chops to take that on. And I'd love to hear it on the accordion
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    My votes go to....

5 points - @westford - this is one of those songs that gets me, but I forget about it, kind of like "What A Difference A Day Makes", yours is darker in tone, but they are tunes that make me go "fuck yeah I love that". Would be up for adding vocals to that one!
    3 points - @poopot ; - always love it when Cousin and his soulmate step in for that challenge, production also crisp as fuck, almost like you have had practice???
    1 point - @monquixote - nice remix, I think it would have come higher in my rankings if it had been funkier, but nice chopping of the vocals.

Well done everyone else, enjoyed all the tracks this time and a great turnout! 

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
     A bumper set of entries this time. I finally decided on

5pts - @monquixote (Everlong)
    3pts - @Westford (End Of The World)
    1pt - @Snags (EmptyWorld)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    This is tricky. Too much variey and spoilt for choice.

5 points : @monquixote : Clean synth, dance style track which is an interesting variation on the original.

3 points : @poopot : A funny hill billy track, with an authenitic sound for this style. Is that real fiddle? All very clever.

1 point : @flying_pie : At first I thought it was an 'orchestral' version of an 'Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark' track until I Googled it and realised it was Depeche Mode. Has a good dark sound. Nice combination of vocals.
    It's not a competition.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17606
    tFB Trader
    It's the first time I've done one of these competitions (And the first time I've recorded any music in probably 5 years) so it's been a brilliant experience to get involved.

Loads of great entries so tricky to choose a top three, but I'm going to go with:

5 points @Snags The Goth Emma is a stroke of genius, really made me smile

3 points @flying_pie A great Depeche Mode song and again a really nice interpretation of it.

1 point @fnpt I think some credit due for the only person to take on a rock cover of one of the greatest songs of all time.

But huge well done to everyone. Some quality work there and looking forward to hopefully being more involved with the competition in future.

3 points : @poopot : A funny hill billy track, with an authenitic sound for this style. Is that real fiddle? All very clever.

I sampled Jessie’s vocal for the chorus and used an apple loop for the fiddle… the rest is all me tho’ drums, bass, acoustic, strings, guitar, banjo and vox…
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

The Goth Emma is a stroke of genius, really made me smile

That's very kind and most appreciated, but I should point out that my version is pretty much a straight (and inferior) rip-off of the Sisters of Mercy version from way back when, which is up there in my favourite covers list (along with their version of Jolene).