Thumb Position for chords

What's Hot
Hi guys

I've become aware of a "thing" I do and I'm not sure it's healthy. 

When playing pretty much any barre type chord on the top four strings, e.g.

--7--
--7--
--7--
--9--
-----
----

Or 

--10--
--10--
--11--
--12--
-----
-----

I find myself with my thumb lying flat along the back of the neck, running parallel to the strings, and with the big fleshy bit of my thumb snug against the neck.

Am I right in thinking that your thumb should pretty much always be perpendicular to the strings?

I'm not sure how to fix this one tbh. Any tips? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10695
    edited April 2022
    Your thumb “should” be not crooked exactly but curved, with the tip, or maximum the pad, touching the neck. The thumb shouldn’t be lying flat like a slug on the back of the neck. But having said that, whatever makes you comfortable.  
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    You're supposed to play with your thumb (tip to first joint) anchored at the back of the neck, but most of us don't do that because no-one shows us to begin with - we just grab it like a broom handle. So, if the way you're playing isn't causing discomfort, and you can get a good clean sound from your barre chords, carry on doing it that way :) 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    Mellish said:
    You're supposed to play with your thumb (tip to first joint) anchored at the back of the neck, but most of us don't do that because no-one shows us to begin with - we just grab it like a broom handle. So, if the way you're playing isn't causing discomfort, and you can get a good clean sound from your barre chords, carry on doing it that way :) 
    Well that's partly why I noticed. I have a habit of muting the g string (when I don't want to) when I play those chords. And then when I focus on getting it to ring, it's uncomfortable. I'm trying to work out if it's uncomfortable because I'm correcting a habit or doing it wrong! 
    Try it the way I mentioned, see if it helps any comfort-wise. You may find (with practice) that it will solve discomfort AND help you get a clean sound, too :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    I had no idea what I naturally do so I had to pick up a guitar. This is me playing a regular E-shaped G chord across all 6 strings. Pad up the the first joint is touching the neck, and 45-ish degrees angle to the strings. I don't know if it's good or bad but it works. 

I don't use barre chords much though, to be fair.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Yep, that's it. Nicely illustrated :) 
    When I play a "full" barre my thumb is like that. 

its when I only want to play the top few strings, like this:

--10--
    --10--
    --11--
    --12--
    -----
    -----

That I have problems. And its worse higher up the neck. 
    I'm not sure I'd ever call that a barre anyway - I'd hold that like a "Hendrix" thumb-over, only using the thumb to mute the low E and 3rd finger to mute the A

So a partial barre chord, right? See, if I was doing what you've put there, I'd use index for second string, middle for first, ring for third and pinky on the fourth. It's just the way I've always done it :) 
    But that "thumb over" Sticky mentioned is a neat trick that can bring the 6th string into a chord. First position D chord, for example, thumb over to hold down the 6th string 2nd fret :) 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    I guess that I won’t be the only one who had to pick up a guitar and finger a few chords to find out how I play. The answer is that on many occasions I use first finger barre and thumb over shapes interchangeably, even in adjacent lines of the same song. Where I do differentiate is where I need to play incidentals on the upper strings with my 3rd and 4th fingers. They are easier to reach with a first finger barre. Where I want the bass note and the rest of the chord to be held or muted for different lengths of time then I tend to use thumb over because I can move my thumb independently of the fingers. 

I've become aware of a "thing" I do and I'm not sure it's healthy ... I find myself with my thumb lying flat along the back of the neck, running parallel to the strings, and with the big fleshy bit of my thumb snug against the neck.

Am I right in thinking that your thumb should pretty much always be perpendicular to the strings?
    It’s not healthy because it puts more strain on your hand. If your thumb is along the neck then your 3rd and 4th fingers are further from the fretboard, and at an angle which make them more difficult to use. Classical theory says perpendicular is correct, but I find that can sometimes be restricting too. Your fingers have a better chance of positioning cleanly when your thumb is at 12 o’clock. However if you want to apply a partial bend to a note, or vibrato to the chord, or follow the chord with some single notes then it’s easier if your thumb is at an 11 o’clock angle.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    If you pull the body of the guitar into your belly with your right arm, you will find that you can pretty much fret most chords with hardly any thumb pressure,  which means it only needs to be where it needs to be for that chord and position 
    I'm getting really fucked off with this now. 

I've watched several videos of guitarists playing the same bit from the same song (its the pre-chorus to Holiday in Cambodia) and I can't finger it the way any of them do without it really hurting. If I even attempt the thumb over the top trick I can't make the notes ring out cleanly at all. :( 
    It isn't action height on your guitar that's behind the trouble, is it? :) 
    The action is OK and tbh its the same on all my guitars.

I think it's a combination of my short stubby fingers (my wife is about four inches shorter than me and has longer fingers) and crappy technique. 

Think I need to find myself a teacher to correct some bad habits... 
    The thing is not to get discouraged. Don't let it beat you, see it as a challenge and, one day, you'll do it and wonder why you couldn't before. Stick with it and good luck ;) 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I play those chords as if I were playing full barre chords, except my first finger mutes the E and A strings. For full barre chords (and these) I squeeze in with the inside edge of the knuckle of my thumb. I think there's more strength this way but it could be a bad habit. For all other situations I use the tip or pad
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    this has made me "want" to investigate what I do now.................. I do know that I tend not to play traditional E barre chords,  cos even now, after 45 years,  I struggle with my index finger to "not mute"   -  I tend to always play F barre, with a wrap over thumb ,  as in @stickyfiddle ;  2nd pic (and BTW get ye fucking nails cut)  dont know why but to me they also sound different........ the F always sounds so much fuller
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    @bertie I'm a biter I'm afraid... They're usually quite neat! :P 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    @bertie I'm a biter I'm afraid... 
    sure but what about your nails.................................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom