What is next after Dreadnaught

What's Hot
HauguHaugu Frets: 1
Hi, 

I purchased Martin D16-E Dreadnaught in 2020. Considered myself as intermediate player to learn all style of music. 

Wonder what body size for second acoustic   guitar collection. Would it OM or OOO be good guitar after Dreadnaught?   Or parlour size.

I like GPC shape but it might be similar sound/tone as my Dreadnaught.  I am not sure.

Appreciate if can hear some advices from you all.  Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 721
    Personally I’d go small, like a parlour, 0 or 00, maybe a 12 fret too…. Depends on what you like to play though I guess 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited April 2022
    What genre would you primarily use the new guitar for? Pop, rock, folk, country? It'll give us some idea what to suggest. Do you want something a little different or quite a bit different?  
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1111
    I'd get another dread in a different wood combination.
    If you can comfortably play a dread, why go smaller?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    Note first that adding a second guitar is vey, very expensive. You can safely own one guitar for many years, but once you add a second, there is no good reason not to add a third. And a fourth. And before you know where you are, you're living in a cave full of old guitars eating beans and picking the fleas out of your underwear.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HauguHaugu Frets: 1
    brucegill said:
    Personally I’d go small, like a parlour, 0 or 00, maybe a 12 fret too…. Depends on what you like to play though I guess 
    Thanks for the advice.  I really gotto think what style I will focus in the next 1 or 2 years.   most probably blues in my mind
    BigPaulie said:
    Most probably blues.  this is a good advice, I will need to research more on the body size then .
    BigPaulie said:
    Interesting advice to go for other wood combination,  I have never thought of this.   =)     perhaps go for traditional dread with standard depth.  my D-16E is same depth as OOO/OM
    Tannin said:
    Note first that adding a second guitar is vey, very expensive. You can safely own one guitar for many years, but once you add a second, there is no good reason not to add a third. And a fourth. And before you know where you are, you're living in a cave full of old guitars eating beans and picking the fleas out of your underwear.

=)  haha...  I thought there will always second, third, forth and next...    :#      Yeah, my wife might stop talking to me for a week if I got the expensive second guitar.   and second guitar need a lots of thought. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Haugu said:
    brucegill said:
    Thanks for the advice.  I really gotto think what style I will focus in the next 1 or 2 years.   most probably blues in my mind
    00 or 12 fret parlour would be my preferred options. 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    A Martin Streetmaster 000 15M would be a good choice for blues. It depends what your budget is, though :) 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Lowden S size
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    The classic, almost stereotyped, blues guitars are:

• Martin 000-18. Spruce top, mahogany back, short scale, small body, amazing bass response, character to burn. There are many similar models, from Martin themselves (CEO-7 is a corker if you can stand the ugly black sunburst), and from a host of other makers (my single-luthier Mineur in spruce and tiger myrtle scratches my OM-18 itch pretty nicely).

• Gibson L-series: small body guitars with a nasty, boxy characteristic bluesy sound. There are heaps of broadly similar alternatives, all have their fans. I rather think that the Guild M-40 is the pick of them. 

But the reality is that you can play blues on anything. Seriously - any guitar makes a good blues guitar, and any good guitar makes a great blues guitar. I mostly play my bluesy stuff on one of my "blues guitars" (the Guild, the Mineur, or sometimes the Cole Clark Angel) but every now and then I happen to play blues-flavoured things on the theoretically unsuitable Messiah - a classic sweet-voiced spruce and rosewood guitar, rich and plummy-voiced a bit like a Taylor. And what happens? It sounds great. Sometimes I play blues-flavoured stuff on my gigantic Tacoma baritone. That works great too.  If I had a ukulele that would sound  ....well, it would sound like crap. There are limits. But in general, they all work.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12375
    Personally I’d try a few 000 sizes and see if it’s something you like. They’re a very different beast to a dreadnaught but don’t assume they lack volume or projection. You won’t get as much ooomph in the bass but the trade off is a more balanced guitar across the strings. I like mahogany for the back and sides, it really adds some great warmth. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    The next big step after dreadnaughts are probably battlecruisers.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11784
    GoFish said:
    The next big step after dreadnaughts are probably battlecruisers.
    Damn beat me to it!! :lol:
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904
    A Jumbo, lovely big sound but a little different to a dread, and better for fingerpicking
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited April 2022
    Most people start with Dreads,  simply cos they're much easier to come by - but they're not "the pinnacle"  they're just another option  - there is no "right guitar"  just what you feel best with.

Personally Id go smaller,  or at least give it a go  -  a good / well built "slightly" smaller guitar (OM) you wont notice much loss of tone, but will have different dynamics - you may find it more comfortable,  you might not.

Drop down further to 00 / parlor and with shorter scales and 12 fret joins -  they all provide different playing palettes 

Ive got 3 (and had 5) different sizes of acoustics, and they all play/sound/respond differently  and one isnt worse or better than the other.  ( as does the wood they're made from) 

You "have" to try different models to find the one that suits,  much as trying LPs Strats Teles  "pointy things"  with electrics  -  and it can take years  - but thats all the fun   
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    If you're after a parlour, I've a lovely Auden Emily Rose up for grabs. I love the tone but I can't get on with the lack if fretboard real estate on a 12 fret. I simply love 14 fret cutaways. Also I need to raise cash for an Avalon due very soon, so I'm open to offers.
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    A Dread One?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Cryptid said:
    A Dread One?
    thread closed

=)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.