Ooh I say - RIP Dot Cotton

What's Hot
bertiebertie Frets: 13569
95  - good innings
just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I honestly thought she was already dead. 

But either way, an absolute legend of British TV. RIP
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22826
    I think Dot (as played by June Brown, since we haven't named her!) was one of the very few Eastenders characters comparable to the golden age of Coronation Street - that mix of comedy and tragedy.  Eastenders is mostly just miserable and depressing.

I haven't watched it regularly for a long time, but I think she was still appearing until really quite recently?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I had a period when I regularly watched EastEnders but gave it up then grew to resent it whenever forced to have it on in the presence of my mother in law. But Dot/ June was one of the great characters, that sense of having suffered but nothing to show for it. Probably more reminiscent of my grandparent's generation than my parents (although my grandparents would be about 130 if they were still alive). I don't know her from anything else that I can think of but making your character a household name probably isn't a bad epitaph for an actor. 
    RIP
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Maybe we can give her the respect of having her name in the thread title.

Sad news, June Brown was a lovely lady, delightful on chat shows and one of the best known faces on TV for 3 decades or more.

As has been said, a good innings at 95, I don't think anyone can complain if they get to that age then depart.

RIP June
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    RIP June Brown.

Dot was more complex than the caricature. A character whose heart was often at odds with her faith. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Met June a good few times… absolutely lovely lady… RIP luv…

thread title change to show a bit of respect maybe? She was much more than “Dot Cotton”
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 234
    I saw this recently, the first Sweeney episode IIRC after the pilot featuring JB

RIP
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Only watched Eastenders in the early days. I know she was the only actor in the show to have played an episode single handed (2008). A proper actress, and well liked by all accounts. RIP
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.