Recommendations for inexpensive fretless

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
As above really - probably secondhand but what have you found in the sub £300 territory thats worth investigation?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Squier VM Jazz Bass is the no-brainer answer. The VM P fretless has the same neck but is hampered by having just one pickup.

Warwick/Rockbass may fall within budget.

JHS/Vintage V940F plays nicely but can be weighty and the electronics disappoint.

Ibanez SR300F if there is such a thing.

Sire, Cort, Yamaha, the usual suspects.

I found my Yamaha RBX200F in a thrift store, pimped it with an active pickup and EQ, it gives my American fretless basses a run for their money.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have an old ibanez fretless and it has a neck to die for.  Try a few but consider the Yamaha and Ibanez lines alongside the Fender brands.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    I have an old ibanez fretless and it has a neck to die for.
    The early Eighties Musician series was difficult to fault. The only off-putting thing was that the most famous endorsee was Gordon Matthew Sumner. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    I have one of these….

https://reverb.com/item/26114724-fretless-bass-ibanez-gsr200bf-walnut-flat-gsr200-bf-new-free-world-shipping?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=26114724

It was about £130 new when I got it and in many places, feels as cheap as it is. The bridge is made of some sort of cheese and the E can click on the J pickup pole piece. The overall finish is cheap, it’s VERY brown and not very reassuringly weighs in at about 365 grams. It also came with rounds and not flats, which would have eaten the board in about a day. 

All that said, it’s one of the playable and lovely guitars I’ve had the pleasure of. The neck feels utterly fantastic, it balances perfectly and sounds far better than it has a right to. They seem to be discontinued but if one crosses your path, you could do far far worse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    I had a blue Cort Curbow Fretless bass for a while. Very good.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2259
    Westone Thunder - Quite a few about and not pricey.
  • BBDBBD Frets: 5
    Second the Westone Thunder 1A, really rather good, and much better than its Ibanez predecessor with the most delicate body finish I’ve ever known - it was 1984 mind! I sold mine last year for about £150…
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    A couple of people I know have had great success with Harley Benton basses from Thomann.