NGD: Tommyhawk Baby Blue

Got this in a trade. I like peculiar instruments and this truly piqued my interest so I offered a trade and it was accepted. Happy me. It is a Tommyhawk travel guitar built by the late Tom Barth. It is said around 300ish Tommyhawks where built. This built was made for the Blue collection (Scott Chinery). It came with the suitcase (I think it was meant for carrying a violing or something like that) and the Blue Guitar book. According the book Tom Barth made a 12 string and bass version as well.

Well, it is small and very loud. Didn't expect that much volume from such a small thing. It is a very remarkable sound. It rings and is kinda boxy. Tuned in A. I think strings can alter the sound quite a bit. It sounds a bit like a mix between uke and charango I guess.

Anyways, pics or it didn't happen;

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1853
    The fretboard looks wider than the guitar! It's a funny looking little thing,definitely a curio if you like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Well it's.......different :). But if it suits you, and it plays well, that's job done isn't it? 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    Wow!

What is the scale length? What strings does it take? And what is the width across the nut?
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233
    Interesting. The bridge saddle design is unusual, but I see the individual saddles have been set for intonation. Are they fixed or moveable?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Soupman said:
    Interesting. The bridge saddle design is unusual, but I see the individual saddles have been set for intonation. Are they fixed or moveable?
    Ive seen it before on late 60s/early 70s  guitar
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited April 2022
    @Soupman ; the saddles look fixed. If they'll come out (or even if they won't), material could be removed (front or back) to fine-tune intonation  
  • Tannin said:
    Wow!

What is the scale length? What strings does it take? And what is the width across the nut?
    Currently it has metal strings (I don't know whether it is steel or bronze) on it. Scale measures 17.1/4" (~43,5mm) approximately. Nut width approximately 1.1/4" (~44mm). Rosewood bridge and fretboard, abalone dot positions. Body is carved from a solid peace of mahogany. Solid sitka spruce top.

The saddles are fixed in place but threaded, so I guess you can alter the elevation somewhat.