New Avalon Day

What's Hot
Well, it arrived this morning as predicted - safe and well.

Tried to post pics but the system baulked at that.

In short, it's a lovely guitar, tonally I was afraid it would be very bright but if anything it's a bit muted. However, that may be the coated strings and / or it needs played in.

I have to say that the pics I got were OK but the actual instrument is superb. The bearclaw spruce top is to die for.

If anyone can help by posting a couple of pics for me, I'd be obliged.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited April 2022
    how are you doing it ?  

go to the pic which should be hosted on a web sharing site/page (you cannot upload pics straight to this site),  right click and "copy image source"

then open the "attach imgage/file" drop down and copy the link to the image,  (I press space at this point to check the link works)  then "enter"
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    edited April 2022
    Brilliant! At last!

Email them to me and I'll host the pictures for you @TheMadMick (Message me for my email details.)
  • VinnyVinny Frets: 3
    Congratulations @TheMadMick ;
    I changed the strings within a few days of getting mine. They come with D’Addario and I’m an elixir fan.
  • ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    Very exciting, congratulations. An Avalon or a Lowden is my aspirational guitar. Looking forward to photos and maybe sound samples?
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Pleased for you mate. Glad it arrived safe and sound :) 
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Good to know that it’s in your hands. Enjoy and keep us updated 
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    Tannin said:
    Brilliant! At last!

Email them to me and I'll host the pictures for you @TheMadMick (Message me for my email details.)

PM'd
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263

In short, it's a lovely guitar, tonally I was afraid it would be very bright but if anything it's a bit muted. However, that may be the coated strings and / or it needs played in.
    Congratulations. It sounds as if it was indeed worth the wait. It probably does need to be played in to open it up. If you are impatient, then a Tonerite session might be worth a try. It worked wonders on my S7 OAK (sinker redwood top).

I've found I get the best results by setting the Tonerite up on the guitar for a full five days and then let it rest for another five (I know, more waiting) to recover. It worked well for me.

However, some people think  the Tonerite is the work of the devil and the only way to play in a guitar is - well- to play the hell out of it. That was my view until I tried it on a couple of classicals after reading that Ramirez use it on their new instruments.

Enjoy it - and like many others I look forward to seeing the photos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11904
    GTC said:

Congratulations. It sounds as if it was indeed worth the wait. It probably does need to be played in to open it up. If you are impatient, then a Tonerite session might be worth a try. It worked wonders on my S7 OAK (sinker redwood top).

I've found I get the best results by setting the Tonerite up on the guitar for a full five days and then let it rest for another five (I know, more waiting) to recover. It worked well for me.

However, some people think  the Tonerite is the work of the devil and the only way to play in a guitar is - well- to play the hell out of it. That was my view until I tried it on a couple of classicals after reading that Ramirez use it on their new instruments.

Avalon use a Tonerite overnight before shipping a new guitar

Some of my guitars have needed at least a couple of days 

I have another gadget that you would think is more natural, but makes a lot of noise, it uses transducers on the soundboard, but basically it converts your guitar into a loudspeaker. 
    Ahhh ... the perils of time zones. @TheMadMick sent me a PM but I was in bed recovering from my sins.

Now I've replied but he (if he has any sense) will be in bed sleeping the sleep of the just.

So we have to wait for him to wake up and send me the pictures, then we have to wait for me to wake up and post them. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I was simply gonna play it. Oddly, while "commissioning" it the tone improved but my fingers started to hurt (I did it after my standard practice). Now, I've little patience so when I next got the opportunity, I gave it a quick play but it had closed down again. I've never had a guitar that did that so quickly and so distinctly.

Anyway, onward and upward.
    GTC said:

And oh what a beauty it is!

A lovely bit of bear claw there.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233
    Oh what a gorgeous instrument. I'm not a fan of bling, so the design of this is perfect as far as I can see. I particularly like the cutaway and the sounhole rosette. Well worth the tortuous wait! Congratulations   =)
    Very nice Avalon. You must be a very proud owner, Mick. And thanks @Tannin for letting us see :) 

It's even better than the pics show. The top is to die for. Absolutely amazing. Can't wait for it to mature.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Congrats @TheMadMick - beautiful guitar .. health to enjoy
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Worth the wait then? I'm sure that's a daft question! Just play it mate and it will open up a treat :) 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3693
    That is very nice!
  • Congrats.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Avalon fits recommends D'addario strings.

They're OK, but a bit bland. Eventually I fitted 
    La Bellas to my 12 string Avalin and I found a marked improvement in tonal character, they're expensive though.
    Mellish said:
    Worth the wait then? I'm sure that's a daft question! Just play it mate and it will open up a treat :) 

Afraid the Good Lord didn't bless me with patience. However, as I play it, it gets more and more comfortable and I trust it will open up. It will be fun trying to judge when it's fully played in.

One thing that surprised me was that the neck seemed fractionally sticky but after playing for a few minutes it eased up. I don't think I have particularly greasy skin but this was a surprise.