Fast fast fast

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962
@16 seconds in........what is the note values,triplets or 4 square 32's or something rhythm bit?

I can't even get a grasp slowed down.....

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's sextuplets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7212
    I've tried to get a grasp on the rhythm in that song and can never get it right.  I can, however, yodel like Thijs van Leer when I burn my finger with a soldering iron or step on some jaggy blobs of solder or an upturned 3-pin plug while wearing only socks on my feet.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Hootsmon said:
    @16 seconds in........what is the note values,triplets or 4 square 32's or something rhythm bit?
    Even Jan won’t know. It’s just fast-as-possible, with his fingers following a sequence they know well.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    It's sextuplets.
    That's what I make it (e.g. 6 notes in the time of one).

Very impressive. There's no way I can play that with an elegant motion from the wrist at that speed, like he does. i need to do a manic elbow motion.

It's not a competition.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Yeah I counted six…

@roland it’s not “play as fast as possible” he’s still got to go with the groove and feel of the rest of them… 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    A rare song for me in that I can play both guitar and organ parts (not at the same time!). It's an insane number of chord changes.
    poopot said:
    Yeah I counted six…

@roland it’s not “play as fast as possible” he’s still got to go with the groove and feel of the rest of them… 
    I’ve seen him live when he didn’t.
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Roland said:
    poopot said:
    Yeah I counted six…

I’ve seen him live when he didn’t.
    So one live performance where he fecked up means he doesn’t know what he’s doing? Assuming it was he who fecked up and not the drummer? 

Nothing pisses me off more than saying as soon as anything gets quick it’s “just as fast as possible, no talent required”

ffs … that clip isn’t even that fast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @bezzer Jan knows exactly what he’s doing. He was arguably the most talented guitarist on the circuit at the time, and one of the fastest players I ever seen live. He was the first guitarist whose playing style I paid attention to. 

On the ‘72 tour Thijs and Jan fell out badly. At the Aylesbury gig Pierre and I sat on the steps outside wondering if the pair of them were going to turn up. They did, and Jan spent the whole evening trying to upset Thijs by messing with arrangements, and playing with the timing. Hence my comment. 

Sylvia is a closely defined song. There isn’t much room for improvising. I suspect that Jan busked the introduction to try to add some energy to the performance. In the clip at 0:16 Jan was just tremolo picking, and it sounds as though his pick slipped a bit in his fingers. I don’t think it was a pre-planned sequence of notes.