NAGD Takamine AN45

What's Hot
tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
edited April 2022 in Acoustics
Firstly apologies to Luke @luked86_  as I should have bought it from him….

So I’m in town today and thought I’d pop in to my friendly local shop that sells all kinds of audio/guitar/records etc (Westlake Audio). I’ve known Paul (the owner) for donkey’s years and bought countless bits of gear from him over the years. Up on a hanger I spot Luke’s old Tak AN45. Now I didn’t buy it from Luke as I didn’t think I could play it without fretboard dots/markers….but it’s so nice I couldn’t pass up the opportunity…so it came home with me. It has the Takamine soundhole pickup in the case (but I won’t be needing it) 

Anyways….pics

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    What woods? I'll be going for a new guitar myself next week. Had Atkin in mind but I've since learned they have bolt-on necks. Not sure if that puts me off :) 
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 241
    I gotta say, I'm a bit of a Takamine fan and that looks just great. Hope it plays as well as it looks and you enjoy.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    @Mellish Cedar top with solid rosewood back & sides

@TheMadMick thanks  :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @tone1 ; good combo :) 
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 853
    Mellish said:
    What woods? I'll be going for a new guitar myself next week. Had Atkin in mind but I've since learned they have bolt-on necks. Not sure if that puts me off :) 
    Don’t let that put you off, they are fab guitars. Also, I believe Collings use the same type of join.

Back on thread, I very nearly took the plunge on this Takamine a while ago, but got hit by an unexpected bill. It’s gorgeous. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @CountryDave ; cheers Dave thanks mate :+1:
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5453
    Absolutely no reason to avoid a bolt-on neck @Mellish Some of the very best guitars made use bolt-ons. This bullshit you hear all the time about the "advantages" of a dovetail neck are just that - bullshit. I think a lot of it comes from Fanbois of the big American brands looking for reasons to pretend that they are "the best".

(Note: I say "fanbois" deliberately, meaning by that term the people who mindlessly barrack for their brand as if it was a  football team - doesn't seem to matter whether it's a guitar or a toaster or a car or a camera or a pair of jeans, fanbois will gush over it and rubbish everything else regardless of facts or reason. Nothing wrong with being a "fan" or even a "fanboy" (as opposed to being a "fanboi")  - hell, I'm a huge Guild fan myself. Pretty keen on Martins too.)

I have eight guitars at present. Between them they have four dovetail necks, two bolt-ons, and two Spanish heels. They are all good 'uns. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Back on-topic, @tone1 - nice one! It looks like a lovely instrument. 

Re the fretboard dots:

(1) I have heard it (rather unkindly) said that if you are looking at the fretboard markers then you are holding it wrong. It seems a bit of a harsh point of view, but fair. 

(2) Does it have side markers? Playing my upside-down leftie I really miss the side markers. Still haven't got used to it. 

(3) Playing with a capo does my head in - all the markers are in the wrong place!

(4) A luthier could add side markers quickly and easily for a few quid if it bothers you enough.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    Tannin said:
    Back on-topic, @tone1 - nice one! It looks like a lovely instrument. 

Re the fretboard dots:

(1) I have heard it (rather unkindly) said that if you are looking at the fretboard markers then you are holding it wrong. It seems a bit of a harsh point of view, but fair. 

(2) Does it have side markers? Playing my upside-down leftie I really miss the side markers. Still haven't got used to it. 

(3) Playing with a capo does my head in - all the markers are in the wrong place!

(4) A luthier could add side markers quickly and easily for a few quid if it bothers you enough.

LOL….yes, point 1 could be a possibility. I probably spend too long looking at what I’m doing too.

Point 2, yes it does have side dots.

Point 4, I live close to Brook guitars, so I feel a visit may well be on the cards.  :)
    Thanks guys. I guess I knew it really or suspected it. Just looking for reassurance. Cheers :). Apologies to OP. Sorry mate. 
    Danger Will Robinson! Danger!

(A visit there could be quite expensive.)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 233
    Always liked Takamines, that one looks a beauty!