Should I swap plastic bridge pins for bone or wood?

What's Hot
EvanEvan Frets: 326
I recently bought 280 quids worth of Alvarez Delta 00 acoustic guitar a few weeks ago and have been endlessly fiddling about with it. 

I’ve got rid of some sharp fret ends, polished the frets, sanded the saddle till the action is where I want it and I’m just waiting for my head to shrink back down to normal size after recklessly and stupidly drilling a bleeding great hole in the bottom and fitting a Gretsch Deltoluxe pickup. 

It looks good, plays good and sounds great and I’m wondering what other needless tinkering I can perform next. 

What about swapping the plastic bridge pins for bone or wood? 

Will they make a difference? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Or am I just jerking off? 

Any opinions welcome.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited April 2022
    marmite  I think

personally I dont think it makes a great deal of difference "tone wise"  certainly not for brass/metal -   tho there are those that will say it does..........   its more cosmetic for my ears (see what I did there !!!

you'd be better off getting a bone nut and saddle, or some new strings ;) 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 405
    ^ Agreed.
  • EvanEvan Frets: 326
    The guitar came with a bone nut and saddle, just put on new strings.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Evan said:

Will they make a difference? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
    No difference, unless you like the look of them better.

The only type that sound different are brass. I did some fairly careful comparisons, just swapping three pins at a time, with plastic, wood, bone and brass, and could hear no difference at all except with the brass ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6836
    ICBM said:
    Evan said:

The only type that sound different are brass. I did some fairly careful comparisons, just swapping three pins at a time, with plastic, wood, bone and brass, and could hear no difference at all except with the brass ones.
    Suspect the difference with the brass is purely down to the weight difference vs the others. The pins aren’t part of the string vibration path.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Evan said:
    The guitar came with a bone nut and saddle, just put on new strings.
    gotcha
    ICBM said:
    Evan said:

I’ve heard that brass ones sound terrible, overly bright or something, if I remember correctly.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    This is always a tough one because no-one can tell you what *you're* going to hear. We can tell you what *we* hear and that's all. Like Liquid Metal bridge pins. Martin tells you that they give more volume. Not to me. So all you can do is grab bone, ebony, rosewood etc and see what *you* hear :) 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    heheheheheheheh

bone.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18785
    VimFuego said:
    heheheheheheheh

bone.
    Dude, he like totally almost said boner. Heheheheheheheh  ;) 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18785
    Evan said:
    I recently bought 280 quids worth of Alvarez Delta 00 acoustic guitar a few weeks ago and have been endlessly fiddling about with it. 

I’ve got rid of some sharp fret ends, polished the frets, sanded the saddle till the action is where I want it and I’m just waiting for my head to shrink back down to normal size after recklessly and stupidly drilling a bleeding great hole in the bottom and fitting a Gretsch Deltoluxe pickup. 

It looks good, plays good and sounds great and I’m wondering what other needless tinkering I can perform next. 

Will they make a difference? Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Or am I just jerking off? 

Any opinions welcome.
    I'd be inclined to address this issue first.
    Could be just me, but I've never been a huge fan of unnecessary DIY trepanning ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    mrkb said:

Suspect the difference with the brass is purely down to the weight difference vs the others. The pins aren’t part of the string vibration path.
    Either the weight or the hardness. Both are quite different from the other materials, which are all quite similar.

I don't think it can be weight alone, or changing just three pins would affect all the strings. (Half as much as changing all six.)

Evan said:

I’ve heard that brass ones sound terrible, overly bright or something, if I remember correctly.
    I wouldn't say terrible, but not to my liking - definitely an increase in upper-mid 'zing'.

Mellish said:
    This is always a tough one because no-one can tell you what *you're* going to hear. We can tell you what *we* hear and that's all. Like Liquid Metal bridge pins. Martin tells you that they give more volume. Not to me. So all you can do is grab bone, ebony, rosewood etc and see what *you* hear :) 
    This. But do try to compare them accurately, or you're likely to fool yourself. If you change the pins at the same time as the strings, of course you will think the new ones sound brighter, whatever the material :).

When I was doing the comparisons I purposely kept the same strings on, and just swapped three of the pins at once, leaving the other three strings as a 'control' so I could see if the three with changed pins sounded different. I changed them in both top three/bottom three, and an alternating pattern.

Personally, unless you really want that upper-mid thing that the brass ones seem to do, I would just pick the ones you like the look of and either don't worry about it, or convince yourself they sound better ;).

At the end of the day strings and saddle material make a *far* bigger difference anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

VimFuego said:
    heheheheheheheh

bone.
    Dude, he like totally almost said boner. Heheheheheheheh  ;) 
    Not to mention wood.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    I can't see it making any noticeable difference. I've just spent a few minutes experimenting with my acoustic including putting a coin against the string behind the bridge and it made no difference. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7258
    As long as the taper of the pins fits the inside taper of the pin holes and you have the ball ends (snigger) right up against the bridge plate, it doesn't really matter but slotted wood or bone pins are less apt to get chewed up where the ball end pushes against the pin and they are less apt to break off at the rounded head (snigger) if they get a bit stuck.

I wouldn't pay the money most places ask for ebony bridge pins.  If you ever buy anything from Thomann, the next time you place an order add a set of these pins for £4.85 as long as the measurements and resultant taper match the ones from your guitar:
    They are made from a wood commonly known as Tintul (Tamarind tree) that is pretty hard and polishes up nice and smooth.
    BillDL said:
    As long as the taper of the pins fits the inside taper of the pin holes and you have the ball ends (snigger) right up against the bridge plate, it doesn't really matter but slotted wood or bone pins are less apt to get chewed up where the ball end pushes against the pin and they are less apt to break off at the rounded head (snigger) if they get a bit stuck.

I wouldn't pay the money most places ask for ebony bridge pins.  If you ever buy anything from Thomann, the next time you place an order add a set of these pins for £4.85 as long as the measurements and resultant taper match the ones from your guitar:
    They are made from a wood commonly known as Tintul (Tamarind tree) that is pretty hard and polishes up nice and smooth.
    Thanks, much appreciated (you dirty, dirty boy). 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 746
    edited April 2022
    With acoustics, and because its so easy, I usually have a fiddle about with different bridge pins when I change strings over the first year or two with a new instrument. Ebony, Plastic, tusq, bone, brass. That's my lot. (Never tried Martin's Liquid Metal because of the cost and I'm not convinced about the sales pitch and the supposed advantages).

Then it's which ever sounds best with Monel strings - which I love - on each particular instrument. So my strings aren't changing, they're always Martin MM12.

Listening (with only my ears and brain only obviously - pitch is individual and subjective) I've never found much difference between plastic and tusq. Mostly I work through but settle on bone. On one guitar it (Yamaha FG5) its brass. Bone seems to give a very slightly cleaner sound. Ebony can be more woody on an instrument which isn't very woody and brass is unquestionably brighter.

The biggest and most noticeable timbre change with all of these different pins is brass. Otherwise, as others have said, fiddling with pins is not often a huge game changer. But it's fun and cheap so good luck!

Top fave? Those bone pins with abalone dot inlays on the top.  Usually about a tenner a set on Amazon (c.f. Liquid Metal which will set you back a ton).  

(Apologies to non-cockneys.                     tenner = £10. ton = £100. ............and that info will cost you a pony my son).   

:-)
    I can't see it making any noticeable difference. I've just spent a few minutes experimenting with my acoustic including putting a coin against the string behind the bridge and it made no difference. 
    what denomination ? everyone knows pre decimalisation works best, unless its a cedar top, then you need spanish pesetas
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    bertie said:
    what denomination ? everyone knows pre decimalisation works best, unless its a cedar top, then you need spanish pesetas

I'd say that would make about as much difference  :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4170
    Evan said:

Any opinions welcome.
    Will it make you happy ,if so do it . I can imagine bone or wood as opposed to plastic can only be better (although perhaps not)  do they do some with abalone inlays in the pins ? I think I’ve seen those . I like things that look nice and flashy . I think actually there may be brass pins too